my brew rig build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicksteck

Reaction score
started Dec. 10th, trying to get it ready for Seebee John's 2nd annu. brew day Jan. 10th. i went with a single tier like the burtus 10 but trying to put my own spin on things.

learned a lot from this site and from Lonnies build, i will try to post as many pic's as i can because i always enjoy pics from other builds on this site.

br001.JPG

br021.JPG

br019.JPG

br008.JPG

here are some pics from last night after getting it back from the powder guy, See Bee John came over and helped me start to mount up the goodies

br025.JPG

br026.JPG

br020.JPG

more pics

i don't know if you can see but i made the hurricane burners adjustable form 3-5'' i am going with nat. gas and i'm not sure what burner height will work the best. i think that some people have there burners to close to the bottom of there kettles and don't get the most out of there burners

DSC000571.JPG

DSC000601.JPG

DSC000661.JPG

DSC00082.JPG

Looks good, let me know when it is finished, I will snd you my shipping address:cross:

Tim

How did / do you change your burners from Propane to NG? I have the same ones and would like to make the switch as well.

Very nice work. I am most impressed with the brackets for the burners. You must have access to quite a bit of machinery to have those bent and milled.

You also got a lot of brand new equipment there also. X-Mas bonus maybe???

Definitely a "Love Hate" thing....I LOVE the rig, but HATE you because I want it!!!

Seriously, that is just awesome, obviously metalwork is your profession or you have some kick ass friends.

thanks,

i own an HVAC company so i have a small sheet metal shop but the brackets i had fabbed by a local sheet metal fab shop, i don't have a big enough break to handle 12 ga.

about the weight i am thinking 125-150# i will ask Seebee John what he thinks

i am going to re-orfice the burners to natural gas today and also going to start wiring it up without the love controls so i can test out the burners and set the pressures.

i have taken alot of pics so saturday i will post some pics and try to explain what i did to go from propane to natural gas with the hurricane burners

Pictures and details of your conversion would be GREATLY appreciated. I got all of the stuff for my Brutus build for Christmas and would really like to ween myself off propane!

As far as the weight goes, I imagine that it's about 120-150 lbs. I'm leaning towards 150... Much to my surprise, the burners add a significant amount of the weight. Nick used 1/16 inch box tube for the frame, so it's much lighter (I'm assuming) than the 1/8 inch wall materials I've observed being used on other rigs in this forum.

It's on casters so the weight becomes insignificant unless portability is a desired feature. Which in this case is a factor because Nick and I take turns brewing at each others home. At any rate, I think he did a great job designing the rig with that in mind. It fits well inside his truck, and with a little help from me, we can load and unload it easily.

As soon as he posts more pics, I think you will all be blown away by the thought that went into this build. It's a first class build all the way!

Put a trailer hitch, an axle and some boat trailer wheels on that thing...no problems! Hey if they can have a mobile BBQ, why not a mobile brewery? Great pics of the build, would love to see more as you get it finished and running!

thanks John,

here are some pics of the gas system, by Sat. i will have the cover on the console. i built a sheet metal console to hold all the controls and the i have a gas valve for all 3 burners sticking out of the console to.

more pics to come

br029.JPG

br030.JPG

br032.JPG

br031.JPG

Just something to consider. Do you have to install a drip leg before your gas valves?

the drip leg is on the outside of the rig, i will try to send a pick of it

the 2 lower valves are 24v gas valves that are going to be controlled by 2 love controls. the valves have a regulator built into them

the third regulator is for the boil kettle, which will not have a love controller. the gas pressure into the rig is 7'' so the regulator will drop it down to 3.5''-5.5'' what ever i set it for. i will use a combustion anaylizer to adjust the pressure as high as i can without producing high CO and wasting a lot of gas.

i need help,

trying to get wiring done and i haven't recieved my love controllers, i'm getting the model that runs off of 110v ac, do i need a ground to each love control?

thanks,

Nick

worked on the wiring tonight, took longer than i thought,

should have it fired up this weekend

here are some before and after wiring pics, still have to get the love controls

wiring_001.JPG

wiring_0021.JPG

wiring_003.JPG

well Boys,

we have fire!!!!

hurricane burners running on natural gas

i haven't adjusted the burner shutter or gas pressure

burner_003.JPG

burner_004.JPG

burner002.JPG

burner_005.JPG

Wow. That thing is amazing. I'm working on a rig right now and I'm not sure I want to post pictures of it anymore! Truly a thing of beauty. Many happy brewings!

well i got a lot of work done this weekend, but still have a lot left. got it up and running, and installed the concole cover without the Love controls installed, they are coming Monday. getting the kegs cut and welded this week and lso have to mount the therminator, plumb the system with the hose and then check for leaks.

some people had asked about the conversion from propane to natural gas, i will address this later this week or after our brew day on the 10th, i'm still trying to figure out the best way to explain it.

just wanted to thank everyone on the site for all the good posts and pics, i've been on the site for over a year and Lonnies site and have seen alot of good idea's and everyone has been good about replaying to all my questions, i hope i can return the favor!

once i get it all together and up and running i will post more pics

Thanks again,

Nick

end_001.JPG

end_002.JPG

end_003.JPG

end_004.JPG

outlet for the computer

WOW, incredible job!!! Thanks for the pics, this has got to be the cleanest and best looking brew structure I've seen on HBT. Very nice work! :rockin:

Back