My 5 cu ft Holiday Keezer Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brtisbuck

Reaction score
This is the result of day 1. At trip to Lowe's for $159 freezer and about $100 in wood and misc hardware. Collar is 1x6 and this baby is sitting on casters. The back is open. At this point the sides and front are open at the bottom with the compressor grate pulled, painted, and reinstalled into the surround. The surround is 1/4" birch plywood trimmed in oak with 2 in 1 mahogany stain/poly.
IMAG0072.jpg

Day 2 I installed the lid. I chose to build my own lid reusing the original hinges and was able to salvage the seal from the original lid. I basically destroyed the lid to remove the seal and keep it in tact.
IMAG0073.jpg

IMAG0074.jpg

This will fit 2 easy with room for co2, lines, regulators, some bottles, and ingredients if I need.
IMAG0075.jpg

Question, did you leave room for the freezer to breath?

Looks really cool

It sat idle for the work week. As the week went I compiled the 2" foam insulation, foil tape, some expandable spray foam, and wood for the coffin and trim. Friday night I insulated the collar and lid with the 2" foam, filled any gaps with expandable, and foil taped all my seams and cut edges. I also built the coffin, trimmed out the lid, applied some stain and some tile.
IMAG00781.jpg

Question, did you leave room for the freezer to breath?

Looks really cool

Yes. There is about 1 1/2" on three sides open on the bottom and ported at the top. I ported it after the lid was trimmed which hides the holes when closed. The back is open as well.

On Sunday I grouted and started preping the coffin for taps. I installed the first of 2 69cfm 19dba computer fans (the one that will cool the coffin).
IMAG0081.jpg

I will resume the build on Friday and most likely finish this weekend. I have one additional fan to install to circulate cool air from the bottom up (the fans and power supply came from Newegg for about $25 including shipping costs). I need to wire my Johnson Controls digital temp controller., install my co2 distributor, and I will run my beer lines and install my taps. I have two 525ss w/4 1/8" ss shanks and two chrome 6" tap handles due to arrive by weeks end.

I have this freezer too. Your set up looks great. I added a fan and PVC pipe to help with circulation. Works great.

I've also attached a pic of my collar.

image-2720310820.jpg

image-2309722574.jpg

image-339073473.jpg

Oh, definitely premeditated. I had no intention of going to the garage or basement to pull a pint. lol

Day 2 I installed the lid. I chose to build my own lid reusing the original hinges and was able to salvage the seal from the original lid. I basically destroyed the lid to remove the seal and keep it in tact.
IMAG0073.jpg

IMAG0074.jpg

This will fit 2 easy with room for co2, lines, regulators, some bottles, and ingredients if I need.
IMAG0075.jpg

Very nice work. Just a heads up. I have this same freezer and you are right it will easily fit 2 cornies or 1 corny and a commercial sixtel but it will not fit 2 commercial sixtels. I found out the hard way.

I finally wired my temp controller, added my second computer fan, and installed my faucets. She is now ready to come inside.:D

178035_378815105508894_1930970600_o.jpg

Back