Keezer Size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PiratesBeardBrewery

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I have a bead on a chest freezer that is in pretty good condition for only $50 but I'm not sure if it's too small and I don't have the cu ft measurements. The outside dimensions are 26" deep by 37" wide by 35" tall. Is this big enough for two (maybe three) corny kegs?

I would probably take my time building it into a keezer and start with some picnic taps before mounting anything, but at this point I wouldn't anticipate having any more than 2 or 3 kegs with beer in various stages in there. Also, to leave my options open for the future, is this a big enough size for a fermentation chamber for a couple buckets/carboys?

Thanks!

Pirate. Id say that plenty of room. My keezer is 15 cu ft. 46x28. I have 5 cornies and a 20lb tank in it and nothing on the compressor hump. Might be a little large for fermenting IMO. I use a second one that about 7 cuft. fits two carboys. I like to serve and ferment at the time. I started kegging in the small one and then realized it was too small. Be weary of used chest freezers though. Ive gone through 3 in the last two years. The first 2 i painted up real nice. Needless to say the one Im using now is not so pretty. Cheers and Good luck. SW

Thanks Sean. I have a feeling that I will probably be following in your footsteps and upgrading the size later on down the road, but it should do the job for now, and $50 is too good of a deal to pass up as long as it works, which I will obviously verify before purchasing. I guess we'll see how long it works after that.

Those dimensions are slightly larger than most of the 7.0 cu ft freezers, which I believe all hold at least 4 cornies on the floor, and more if you build a tall collar and put some on the hump.

Well I got the keezer, but ran into some problems. The refrigerated space is too short for a corny keg (~23") because instead of having a compressor hump, the entire bottom is a flat floor and there is a bunch of wasted space as a result. But it was only $50.

I know I can always build a collar, and would have needed to do so anyways to utilize the space on top of the hump, but now I am worried that the collar might have to be too big. The refrigerated space is about 23" high, do I have enough space or should I try to sell this freezer and find another one?

If I do decide to stick with this one and build a collar, it will probably be a quick and easy one for now before I go back later and make a nice one (with probably a different freezer down the road once SWMBO moves in after the wedding). I don't have a kegging system yet so I was looking at one of these setups with the party taps so can I just use 2x6's for an expedient (and efficient collar) for now?

Latest posts

Back