Father's day Coffin Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joed15

Reaction score
I've been lurking around HBT and brewing beer for about a year now. My free time is short so I haven't been posting but I sure am learning a lot from all of the great people here.

Before I post the eye candy I'd like to thank Carrie for supporting and contributing to the keezer and my brewing, my son for all of the lifting and help both with brewing and wiring, John and Al for building something they never heard of from my plans and Gary for introducing me to John and Al.

Now for the keezer. It's a 14.8 cu ft Maytag freezer with 2 STC-1000 tem controllers, one for the freezer and one for the coffin fan. The wood is cherry and stained pine and the top and splash behind the taps are a laminate from Home Depot. The tap handles were found from local flea markets, antique shops and a couple of friends. The beers in the keezer are Ed Wart's Robust Porter, a Zombie dust clone, DFH 90 min clone, Ed Wort's Haus Ale, BierMuncher's SWMBO Slayer and BierMuncher's Centenial Blond.

Thank you all for helping me get this far.

20130616_133407.jpg

20130616_133431.jpg

20130616_125940.jpg

20130616_125954.jpg

20130616_130151.jpg

That is one big, beautiful keezer.

Building another one myself and looking at incorporating lift assist shocks as you did. Can you give more info on them and maybe a few pics?

Thanks

That is one big, beautiful keezer.

Building another one myself and looking at incorporating lift assist shocks as you did. Can you give more info on them and maybe a few pics?

Thanks

The lifts I picked up on Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041EBSX4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 The connectors for the ends of the lift are alon on the same page as "Frequently bought together". Pics will have to wait until the weekend when I swap out kegs. There's really nothing to mounting them other than measuring to be sure the lid can close completely and open just enough. The way I mounted, the position of the ends relative to each other, makes it feel like the lifts are keeping it closed. Once I open the lid a little I need to hold on to it so it doesn't open too fast. I'm really surprised at how well the work.

Another interesting component is the fan. It's ac current and pushes 240 cfm. It sounds like a turbine when it starts but the air flow is great! The fan was ~ $30 from a site named FrozenCPU.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice looking. What are the 3 white boxes sitting on top of the corny kegs? Do you have any drawings or plans that you can share that describe how it is constructed? I'm assuming your CO2 tank is located in one of the side compartments to the left or right of the freezer, is that correct?

Very nice looking. What are the 3 white boxes sitting on top of the corny kegs? Do you have any drawings or plans that you can share that describe how it is constructed? I'm assuming your CO2 tank is located in one of the side compartments to the left or right of the freezer, is that correct?

The three white boxes are Eva Dry, here's an Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0046ZDR3W/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Sorry, no drawings. John and I sketched up what I wanted on napkins and scrap paper, mostly dimensions and rough geometry. John built the keezer from them.

Yes, my 20 lb Co2 is in the left compartment along with extra hoses. The STC-1000's are above the door on the left side. The right side has two shelves where I keep my brew, fermenting and keg gear. I'll post pictures of the compartments over the weekend, Saturday morning is probable.

In a lot of the keezer builds I perused here in HBT I noticed that people were hinging the lid/top on the freezer. We were concerned that the 100 lb gas springs would be too much for the sheet metal so I picked up some heavy duty bearing door hinges from Loews and mounted a 2 x 6 to the back of inner supports for the compartments and mounted the hinges from the 2 x 6 to the top. The freezer is not mounted to anything and is just sitting on the dolly. I'll try for pictures of that also. I purchased a replacement gasket for the original freezer top and used silicone to seal it to the underside of the new top. I went with 6 urethane casters rated at 300 lbs each. Two casters on each end and one in the front and back in the middle. I feel that good casters are an important part of this build. The casters were purchased from Grainger.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back