Earthbound's Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EarthBound

Reaction score
This is my keezer in its “function over form” state. Within a couple years, I will upgrade it to its “form over function” state, where it will look like Jester’s keezer. This keezer does not void the warranty that came with the freezer. I got this 14.8 cu. ft. freezer from Lowe’s for about $220 after tax, and it was originally $400. I tried to be patient and use CL, but I had to make an exception for such a great deal on a brand new freezer. The hinges that were on it are not shown, but they are huge and badass. I will use them when I upgrade the keezer. I made a dolly that I guess I need to stain so that it matches the collar.

Once again, I copied a couple ideas from some other dude’s design. At least in my case, the insulated collar dimensions were meant to be. The thickness of the three rectangles (outer is 0.75” wood, middle is 1.5” insulation, and inner is 0.75” wood) is exactly 3”. The thickness of the space where the freezer meets the lid is also exactly 3”. Fits like a glove. The collar is siliconed to the keezer. I laid two beads of silicone on the freezer – one on the outer edge and one on the inner edge.

View from the front.

PB300009.jpg

Who doesn’t like a nice view of some SS?

PB300010.jpg

View of the LOVE switch. It’s just a temperature on/off switch (like a thermostat). In the case of my keezer, it’s used as refrigerator (cooling) thermostat. In the case of my brewstand, I use two of them as furnace (heating) thermostats for the HLT and MLT. I love my love switches, bitches! It’s freezing nuts in my brewhut (and will be until I upgrade it with more insulation), so the compressor hardly ever turns on.

PB300005.jpg

View from the rear. The left outlet is always on. A 12VDC computer fan is wired to a 12VDC transformer and is plugged into the left outlet. The fan is required to have even temperature throughout the keezer. It doesn’t matter which way the fan is pointed. It does the trick. The right outlet is switched by the LOVE switch. The compressor is plugged into the right outlet. The wire going from the hole at the bottom to the lid is just for the light. The hinges were about a dollar at Lowe’s. I chopped off half of one side because it was sticking up a little. Each hinge had four holes in the lid and four holes in the freezer. I did not use the existing holes in the freezer. Two of the four holes in the lid line up perfectly with two of the four holes in the hinge, as you will see below. That made me happy.

PB300004.jpg

View of the wiring job on the inside. The fan is silicone to the wall. I plan on wrapping the wiring in corrugated tubing sometime. I have seen absolutely no moisture on the inside of the keezer, and I doubt I ever will.

PB300008.jpg

View of the brewhut. You can see that my brewstand is partly (the electrical and liquid phases) dismantled. This is because I am getting ready to finish/paint the entire thing. This picture WILL be updated in about 4-5 weeks. At that time, the brewhut will look much better (cleaner, more organized, and with only brewery-related stuff), and the brewstand will be finished/painted.

PB300014.jpg

I will update this thread once I receive my ball lock QDs and I install the secondary regulators and air distributors. I will make sure to show what the inside looks like because I forgot to take a picture of that. I will update it again when I upgrade from three to five taps, too.

Thanks. The collar is siliconed to the keezer. I laid two beads of silicone on the freezer – one on the outer edge and one on the inner edge.

BTW, I used liquid nails (for wood) and screws to join the wood together.

My only question is why you'd choose to throw the blinging love controller on the side... that thing deserves to be front and center... well... errr... front and nicely located near one side.:D

Looks awesome. I like how your brewhut has a futon, just in case you need a place to sleep

That's a great price on the freezer. Is it dented or damaged in any way or did you just get a super deal? It looks great!

At first, I was thinking of throwing the LOVE switch and the mounted bottle opener on the front with the taps. However, I decided to throw the LOVE switch on the left side because of the wiring. I wanted the wiring to be as short and out of the way as possible. All the wiring is pretty much only above the hump - the location of least disturbance. The other side will have the bottle opener mounted to it, leaving the front of the keezer for taps only. At least all four sides will have a purpose this way... :rolleyes:

I did get a super deal because of several discounts and a gift card from work. It pays to know certain people who work at certain places and like certain beers.

I installed a driptray about 6 months ago but forgot to update this thread with a pic of it, so here it is:

P7030217.JPG

I used silicone to attach the wood to the keezer and velcro to attach the driptray to the wood. I drilled a hole in the driptray as a drain. I installed an ale pale's grommet in the hole and it seals perfectly.

I just realized I need to update this thread again soon with pics of the secondary regulator setup.

Latest posts

Back