Smallest Brewpub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChefJoeR

Reaction score
What is the smallest brewpub you have been to? There is a prime space available near me that is approx 3000+ sq. feet that I have had my eye on. Just wondering if it is possible to brew and serve food in an environment this small. It would be used as start up operation to venture out to a larger facility if the brewery side were to grow. Thanks.

I'll have to photograph it and get measurements for you. But the smallest brewpub (I call it a pico brewery) I know of is the backroom of a coffeehouse in St. Clair Michigan. It's also a micro-winery. They serve usually 4 beers on tap and a dozen wines. It's an extract based brewery, their beers are fairly good, the prices are even better $2.00/pint and $1.00 on Thursdays (plus a mean 5 dollar buger/fries with homemade buns.)

It's the husband of the owner of the Coffeeshop, he's an early byout former engineer from one of the big three. It's his retirement dream, he's been a home winemaker for 20+ years and a homebrewer for maybe half that. (And there's a cigar lounge between the coffeeshop and microbrewery.

There is room for 4 at the bar, there's 4 tables for 2 on the periphery and 4 leather seats in the center. It can maybe hold 30 people, but 20 comfortably. It's really small, with basically a closet brewery with some conicals and even some 5 gallon buckets.

There's a porch in the front, and you can take the beer and wine into the coffeehouse proper or outside in the summer. But the actually "bar" is smaller than the bedroom of my loft.

I'll post pics on Thursday after burger night. I hold court with a handful of hb'ers there.

They serve usually 4 beers on tap and a dozen wines. It's an extract based brewery, their beers are fairly good, the prices are even better $2.00/pint and $1.00 on Thursdays (plus a mean 5 dollar buger/fries with homemade buns.)

There is room for 4 at the bar, there's 4 tables for 2 on the periphery and 4 leather seats in the center. It can maybe hold 30 people, but 20 comfortably. It's really small, with basically a closet brewery with some conicals and even some 5 gallon buckets.

There's a porch in the front, and you can take the beer and wine into the coffeehouse proper or outside in the summer. But the actually "bar" is smaller than the bedroom of my loft.

Sounds like my kind of place! Look forward to the pictures.

I know of a few bars that are less than 3,000sq ft and serve their own house made beer. Not much in the way of food, though you gotta start small...

There are three brewpubs that I know of that brew on a Sabco Brew-Magic. That's a 10 gallon brew length. They are fairly small restaurants too.

So possible, yes. A good idea? Only under the right circumstances.

Send an email to Tom Hennessy of Colorado Boy and Il Vichino fame. I think he says a 7bbl brewpub can be done in under 1500 sq feet.

tomhen at mac.com

75th Street Brewing in KC has a 5-10 barrel brewhouse in a very small space. I think they have pictures on their website (kchopps.com I think). The restaurant is fairly large though.

A lot of the Portland pubs are small. Amnesia is probably around 1000 square feet with limited seating but lots of covered outdoor seating. All of their food is cooked on a grill outside.

Revvy,
what is the name of the coffeehouse/brewery? That sounds like something I can deal with. Even though I know doing full grain brews is the preferred method for a brewpub, I think given the size of the place that doing extract could be more beneficial. Can't wait for those pictures!

Revvy,
what is the name of the coffeehouse/brewery? That sounds like something I can deal with. Even though I know doing full grain brews is the preferred method for a brewpub, I think given the size of the place that doing extract could be more beneficial. Can't wait for those pictures!

Sue''s Coffeehouse in St. Clair Michigan (45 minutes east of Detroit)

http://www.suescoffeehouse.com/

As promised here are pics from Sue's. The order is all screwed up thanks to my mobile uploader for Android to Facebook, and I am too drunk to re-arrange them.

34413_450055689066_620469066_5403118_3328865_n.jpg

67693_450055639066_620469066_5403117_7909316_n.jpg

71508_450055479066_620469066_5403115_3441716_n.jpg

67404_450052729066_620469066_5403105_4816324_n.jpg

69423_450051939066_620469066_5403092_6500337_n.jpg

Those photos are great! A little off topic, but I know some states have laws that support "nano breweries." This would be a great step for homebrewers to take the leap into making a living out of passion. Unfortunately, in AZ, nanos aren't legal and you have to brew a LOT of beer to stay in business. It would be great if more states had laws that would support a brewery of that size.

But, Flagstaff (AZ) brewing company is probably the smallest I've been to. They brew some great beer and they always have some amazing brews on their guest tap.

Here is a nano that I frequent. Old fraternity brother. They are only open Thursday through Saturday (nights only) but have minimal employees aside from family members. Oh, and they use Sabco.

http://www.hankiswiser.com/

Nice post... and pics. I love the name you have given - "Pico" - Pico is the little brother to Killingston mountain in VT - right on the way up to one of my favorite places in the north east which is the mad river valley of VT.

Anyone been to the Tugboat in Portland, OR. Its like a hole in the wall and easy to walk by on the street. But, the beer is quite fine.

I was in Bisbee visiting family over the weekend, and stopped by Old Bisbee Brewing. Since they don't really have a good pic on their site of the taproom I snapped this to show how small it really is.

Bisbeebrew.jpg

I was standing right inside the entrance when I took the picture. There are 3 4-seat tables not visible(to the left) in this pic.

Just found this thread. Pretty interesting. Now if only I lived in a state that had favorable microbrew laws.

I am opening a brewery this fall in about 1300 sq. Ft. I took the Colorado Boy start your own brewery class in Ridgeway. Tom has a great class there if anyone is serious about opening a small brewery.

Rich
Buckeye Lake Brewery
www.buckeyelakebrewery.com

IH8UM,

Was it worth the $2500? We are starting a brewpub too. We have lots of room. 3500 sqft on the main lever and the same in a daylight basement. I've considered going out to CO for the class but I'm just really cheap. But I will admit that being cheap can be expensive.

Thanks

IH8UM,

Was it worth the $2500? We are starting a brewpub too. We have lots of room. 3500 sqft on the main lever and the same in a daylight basement. I've considered going out to CO for the class but I'm just really cheap. But I will admit that being cheap can be expensive.

Thanks

I want to know that same thing just sent him a PM about the course as well!

I just searched and found the link to the Colorado Boy Brewery web site and course info...http://www.coloradoboy.com/Immersion_Course.html

For a hobbyist just looking to hang out and be with people who appreciate the things he does, it must be worth it. :mug:

Exactly. And that's really what it's about, it's like a mancave with women. It's about hanging out with like minded folks. Drinking decent beer and eating good food.

That is cool. If he can sustain that then that is all that matters. I have done some calculations and that is roughly what I would want to sell wholesale at that volume (if not higher!). I guess especially if you already have a business in operation then you can sell "wholesale" directly to your customers. Here if you go to a restaurant of any sort and its $5-7 for a "craft" beer! I swear I think I got charged $7 for a 12 oz beer the other day. Next time I will ask how big it is :)

Back