Lack of bubbles means????????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hackwood

Reaction score
This is a 10 gallon batch of English Bitter that I brewed yesterday(01-05-2012). One batch split between 2-6.5 gallon fermenters. Both were pitched from the same starter and aerated and sealed exactly the same.

As you can see, one is bubbling away and the other hasn't produced a single bubble. Both will ferment exactly the same and the end result will be close if not exactly the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWU91Rvjw4A&feature=youtu.be

In closing, if you did all or most everything right, you will make beer. Bubbles are exciting(to a point) but they really don't mean anything.

Did you check the wort temperatures in each vessel when you pitched the yeast? Were they they same temperature?

I would pitch more yeast in the quiet one even if it could pick up by tomorrow.. just to speed things up.

Scotbrew has it right. I purposely put a lid on the one that leaks to release the CO2 instead of going through the airlock. Both temps were exactly the same, yeast was from the same starter and added at the same time and aerated the same.

I just did this because of all the "I'm not getting any bubbles" threads to show that it can be something as simple as a loose lid or worn rubber grommet etc etc that can be letting your CO2 get out, but your beer is still fine.

Yep. Bubbles mean nada. They are entertaining, they are reassuring, but lack of bubbles does not mean anything is wrong.

Back