Kegging this weekend ffor the first time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing I'll do is to fill a spray bottle with star san off of the tap when running it through. That way I have a fresh bottle to sanitize things with.

I didn't watch the videos so if I am repeating I apologize. of course make sure everything is clean....mix up your star san and siphon from your bucket to your keg enough to sanitize your siphon and enough to swirl around in your keg to sanitize it......stop the siphon and put the siphon and racking cane in the sanitizer bucket.....put the keg lid on and hook up the gas and a picnic( cobra) tap. shake the keg around to make sure all interior surfaces are touched by the starsan then using the cobra tap spray the starsan back into the sanitizer bucket once it is blowing co2 stop and remove the tap from the keg... now you have a sanitized keg with co2 rather than oxygen in it...... take a paper towel soaked in starsan and sanitize the outside of your siphon one more time , set the keg below your beer so your hose reaches the bottom of the keg to avoid splashing and siphon the beer into the keg. IF you are naturally carbing in the keg add your priming sugar mix prior to this step............as the keg is filling pull the O-ring off the lid and make sure it is clean and put a layer of keg lube on it. once the transfer is done put the keg lid on..TURN YOUR CO2 PRESSURE DOWN TO 3-5 PSI and attach the gas line to the keg open the gas for a second and then open pressure release valve on the keg...close the valve and open the gas line again. do this 2 or 3 times to make sure you have no oxygen in the keg.... turn the gas up to 30 PSI to make sure the keg is sealed....use a spray bottle to check for leaks. turn the gas off, release the pressure valve...turn the pressure to your desired PSI and turn the gas back on... now you either quick carb it or set your PSI to serving pressure and wait. I do all of this with the beer cold from cold crashing. I then turn PSI to 30 and shake for 2 minutes..... turn pressure down to 12 or 13 and bleed off excess pressure.. it gets me pretty close most times...... good luck

Back