First brew jitters...got some questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuelshopMcgee

Reaction score
Hey guys my buddy and I bought a kit from midwest that came with 2 better bottles a primary fermenter and a bottling bucket (along with the other odds and ends). We are boiling wort via turkey fryer (finally get some real use out of it!). My question is we bought two recipe kits he got a pretty standard IPA and I bought the hop head double IPA (was trying to get close to nugget nectar one of my fav's). How would you suggest that we get both recipe kits moving at the same time or at least close? Im worried that the better bottles are only 5 gals and the recipes are 5 gals a piece so I'm thinking that we cant use a single better bottle because it will blow over. Are we stuck with getting one kit done at a time or can you guys enlighten me on how I can brew both?

This is both of our first times and were in Germany (Airforce) so we dont really have a lot of friends we can call upon for some help. So we appreciate your guys help in advance!

EDIT: The other question I have is my ale pails will be the primary fermenters and thats when you need to worry about blow off correct? If thats the case here is my plan (please tell me if im on the right path) I am going to primary ferment in the ale pail and the bottling ale pail (so I can do both recipes at once)and then secondary into the 5gal better bottles which will not leave me much room inside the bottle but I shouldnt have to worry much since the major fermentation is already done right?

You're right, your Ale Pails should be 6 gal. I don't always need a blowoff but I've been habitually using them just in case. After it's done fermenting moving both to 5 gal BB is fine as you don't need extra headspace. :mug:

EDIT: Did you ship those turkey fryers over there? Any problems finding propane tanks for them?

Hmm, also, does the bottling bucket have a lid?

you hit the nail right on the ugly fat head...We just figured out the bottling bucket is lid-less so I may have to do one batch today shop around and find a bucket lid that will match up and drill a hole for an airlock. Finishing up the 2nd batch another day soon...Or worse case scenario wait until his batch goes into secondary..The ale pail has marks on the side up to 5 gal but there is a lot of space after that so I know it will easily hold 6 gal. The turkey fryer I bought from a buddy in my shop and they sell propane tanks on base so no worries there! Thanks for the reassurance I think we just need to crack up on a beer and have fun with it.

Hey guys. You could also pick up another primary fermentor on line. They can be found on Ebay among other places. Germany is a big beer kinda place. I bet you could find a place that sells carboys if you really looked. It won't be an immediate help, but could get your second batch going quicker.
Also if you choose to follow Mikes suggestion on making the Apfelwein, it is supposed to be a style fairly authentic to Germany. Might impress some of the local ladies with that one.
Enjoy the time in Germany and enjoy the brewing.

So first batch is done and sitting in the primary fermenting bucket as we speak. All seemed to go really well Im pretty proud of how well it went down. Issues that we had today were a slight boil over that lasted half a second (it came so fast we werent even done putting the nylon bag all the way back into the kettle). Not a single bit of scorching was found...We didnt have the best stirring utensils either so again proud of how it turned out! The other issue was that the dry yeast we used was stirred immediately as it was put into the sanitized measuring cup with warm water. I think it will be okay because after 15 minutes the yeast looked to show signs of life. We used the wort chiller cooled it down to 78 deg and then aggresively sloshed the wort into the fermenting bucket then used a giant whisk to aerate a little more and then pitched the yeast. Stoked to see some activity within the next couple days!

BTW our initial hydrometer reading was 1.064 does that seem about the norm for this type of brew?

and the kit used tonight was a midwest india brown ale....

Back