Is this Equipment Kit a good deal for $90?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Video360

Reaction score
A neighbor is offering me a complete beginner's kit, along with a basic pale ale ingredients kit (extract), that he wants to sell for $90. It's new and unused.

I've seen similar kits for as low as $69 at places like MoreBeer.com, but they don't include ingredients, and are missing some of the items that are included here.

Can you tell me if this is a steal or not? I need to step it up! So far, I've made a number of batches (all pretty good), in my two Mr. Beer LBKs, but sadly, Mr. Beer is a little limited for what I want to do.

Here's what's included (along with a photo):

6 gallon plastic fermenter with spigot and gasketed lid
6 gallon bottling bucket with spigot and gasketed lid
Airlock and stopper
Hydrometer
Racking cane w/ 6' of tubing
Bottle filler (spring loaded)
Bottle capper
Bottle brush
Bottle caps (144)
Ingredients kit for a basic Pale Ale (6lbs DME, Safale US-05, 2oz hops-unsure of which variety)
One pound of corn sugar for bottling

BeerKit.jpg

I am thinking that used gear is used gear, personally I would be happy somewhere around the 50usd range.

I wouldn't call it a steal.....you are probably saving about $10-15 over retail prices. Your buddy certainly isn't doing you any favors here. I'd offer about $50-60 myself.

I am thinking that used gear is used gear, personally I would be happy somewhere around the 50usd range.

First question is......Why is he selling?

Did he upgrade? Decide it wasn't for him? If he did one batch and is done he will expect near full price. Did he get new comparable equipment (possible infection?)

Second question what condition are the buckets in? Any scratches? (even the smallest is bad).

Finally don't pay more than you should just because it has an extract kit. If you don't like the style that is worthless to you. Also do you know how old the kit is?

From the seller: "BRAND NEW. Never used. Got to start new hobby but decided to buy my beer instead."

So, I assume it's never been used. And I got the impression that it was a Christmas gift, so it's 6 months old or so.

I do need some of the items in the kit, though. I need a bottle capper. I don't have a racking cane/siphon tube. And I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't bought a hydrometer yet. I've been winging it with exact measuring according to recipes, and even though I don't know my OG/FG/ABV, I've been doing alright.

I can definitely use the extract kit, although I'll steep some grains to go along with a recipe I have in mind.

He says he paid $150 for everything, so I'll offer $69, which is what MoreBeer has their basic kit selling for.

I just bought a basic kit from windriverbrew.com. It included all of the items you have below along with an extract kit with specialty grains. I also bought two cases of 22oz bottles and it cost just over $100. For buying used equipment from a neighbor, I'd expect a better deal.

i just bought 6 glass carboys, 2 buckets, spoon, stand corker, 74 pc bottle tree, hydrometer, hand bottle capper, and a bunch of airlocks and other little parts all for 115$ all in lightly used condition.. sold 1 carboy,hand capper, and hydrometer for 40$ so i really only paid 75 minus the items sold.. that's a good deal!!!!!

craigslist is your friend.. your neighbor, not so much....

I'd jump all over that Midwest Groupon that 724b mentioned--just the equipment is 50-60 bucks and they are giving you an ingredient kit and 25 dollars off your next purchase. My brew kit is from Midwest and I'm very pleased with it (except that I didn't know I'd need a bigger carboy than 5 gallons for primary fermentation).

Agreed. The Midwest Brewing Groupon deal is good on its own, but with the $25 coupon on top of that, it's a no-brainer. Thanks!

thats not a bad price honestly. Like stated everything is new and you want to upgrade and need some of the items regardless. Also you need to factor in shipping costs meaning part of that $25 off your next purchase is really more like $15 off. Plus you would be able to help your neighbor out. Give him 75-80 and call it a day, no waiting for your stuff to ship. Just inspect it all thoroughly first before buying

I'd go with the Midwest Groupon if they are still offering it, that's how I got started. I think with the carboy and kettle that I bought, I don't think it broke $110 (and the kit had specialty grains - Irish Stout, turned out good)

Chiming in for the Midwest Groupon as well. That's how I first got started as well.

If you didn't get that groupon deal, something you might want to consider is your local home brew store. Now, usually (for most things), I'd say the LHBS is more expensive. But when I got started brewing last year, I purchased this kit from my LHBS for $65.

Obviously it was only $65 for me because I went to the store (no shipping). But I just wanted to illustrate that the price your neighbor wants is steep. It's basically the same stuff your neighbor has, plus a couple extra items if I'm not mistaken (minus the ingredients). But for that extra $25, you can get a good kit (not just some DME and hops), but something with steeping grains. Hell, even a partial mash kit if you want to step it up.

I do vote for that groupon deal though, as it's a steal!

Not to rub it in, but I just picked up almost exactly the same kit(minus an item or 2) for free from a customer of mine that tried one batch and decided that buying his own beer was cheaper etc etc. GO ME! :)

I vote Midwest groupon if it's available. That's how I started out over a year ago. I've since upgraded to better bottles (glass scares me), converted a cooler for mash tun, and a 15 gallon kettle...

The Midwest Homebrewing Groupon deal sounds like a MUCH better deal, especially with the coupon for $25 off additional ingredients. Thanks for the info!

That's how I got started doing 5 gallon batches. The Midwest groupon is a great deal. I got the Autumn amber ale with the kit and got Liberty cream ale with the $25 certificate. Good luck!

I bought the Midwest group on back in early winter. This gave me 2 complete brew setups which is nice. I brew AG, but used the 6 lbs of LME in the kit to boost OG for a RIS. And the $25 was used right away.

Latest posts

Back