burnt bag/grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oddball

Reaction score
So.... I was brewing a partial mash batch last night using BIAB method for my mash. I ended up using more grains than I normally do and my grains and water wouldn't fit in my kettle. I ended up borrowing a slightly bigger pot from my sister in law. During the shuffle my mash temp dropped so I added another gallon of water @ 170F, but it didn't bring the temp back up high enough. I then put the pot back on the burner to bring the temp back up. I was constantly checking the temp with my floating thermometer but it didn't budge. After about fifteen minutes I noticed a slight roll to the water and started to panic. The temp on the thermometer was still at 145F but I removed it from the burner anyway and wrapped it in blankets for the mash. When I went to pull the bag I noticed there was a big hole burned in the bag and also the bag and some grain were burned to the bottom of the pot.

After some time getting all of the grains out of my wort, I proceeded with the batch as usual.

I know that there is a risk for off flavors due to possible tannins released in the wort and know that I will have play the waiting game to see how the flavor was affected. What I really want to know... is this batch safe to drink due to the nylon bag being burned? Is this batch going to give me man boobs? Should I dump it to avoid the risk? What would you do?

I would toss the batch. Melted plastic is not something you wanna mess with. Damn im even fussy about putting tuperware in the microwave. Ever if they are "Microwave safe"

That is the direction I was leaning too, I guess I just didn't want to accept it. It will be the first batch I've had to toss.....

Damn, that sucks. But burnt plastic, I'd pitch it. :eek:

Rick

The irony is, my wife is getting me a 15 gallon pot for Christmas and I am going all grain. I just bought the materials for a tun and started building it so this was going to be my last batch using extract. I am telling myself it was a sign and meant to be.....out with the old and in with the new I guess....

The irony is, my wife is getting me a 15 gallon pot for Christmas and I am going all grain. I just bought the materials for a tun and started building it so this was going to be my last batch using extract. I am telling myself it was a sign and meant to be.....out with the old and in with the new I guess....

There's your sign. :D

Awesome deal on the all grain rig! Stay in touch with us little people.;):mug:

Rick

Seedly said:
Had a bag burn to the bottom of the pot once too. Beer was excellent and good enough for a 40.5 in a BJCP competition.

Always wondered what it would be like to be a judge, guess I'll stick to judging my own less-cancerous beer!

Don't make the mistake of thinking a tiny bit of melted plastic will disolve into the hot wort readilly. It won't,as water isn't a strong enough solvent for nylon. Ferment it out & don't worry about anything but maybe some burnt grain smell/flavor. Likely not even that if it was a small amount. Nothing much to worry about.
I use a cake cooling rack in the bottom of the BK to keep the bag off the bottom.

Back