Beer bottled without priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamburgerfan

Reaction score
Just bottled my first all grain batch, and remembered that I forgot to add the priming sugar to the bucket before racking. I know that I'll have to uncap each bottle and recap them after adding the sugar, but I'm not sure what kind of sugar to prime the bottles with.

I know I could buy some priming tabs, but would it also to possible to weigh a small amount of corn sugar and pour it into the bottles? If so, how much to use per bottle?

I have no idea what you brewed, so this idea may not be suitable for your beer style but its worth mentioning: this could be a great time to do some experimenting. Like prime some with corn sugar, some with brown sugar, some with maple syrup etc. just a thought!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Priming tabs are more accurate.

Is it really that much more accurate? I mean if you need 0.5 Tsp per bottle, isnt scooping the sugar, leveling off with lets say the back of a steak knife and dumping it into a funnel that much more difficult/less accurate than dropping in a sugar tablet? I mean ive seen some of my carb tabs chipped or partially broken, there must be a minor change from bottle to bottle even with sugar tablets.

Regardless I usually rack the beer into a sugar solution before bottling however after i started to use 19L kegs, I bottle the last 4L with carb tabs.

On the other hand, you could just let it sit for about three months. I forgot the priming sugar once, and that's what I did. It came out fine but it's not fast.

On the other hand, you could just let it sit for about three months. I forgot the priming sugar once, and that's what I did. It came out fine but it's not fast.

How did it carb? Slow infection that ate unfermentable sugar? Or were you not at FG?

I ended up taking 1/2 teaspoon of sugar and shaking a little off the top (scottish ale, don't want to go crazy with the carbonation) and pouring it in through a funnel.

I find that hard to believe, but you've been a member here for a very long time which makes me want to believe you 😏

I find that hard to believe, but you've been a member here for a very long time which makes me want to believe you 😏

I find this very interesting as well, can anyone else confirm this being possible assuming a persons already reached a FG??

Here is my idea. Boil sugar solution for whole batch. Use dropper to drop into bottles. You'll need to figure out how many drops to add to each bottle so all the solution is used which shouldn't be too hard. I think if you have all different sized bottles you'd need to vary the amount but this would be the case regardless of the method you choose.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm surprised after all these "forgot to add priming sugar" threads that no one has posted something along the lines of boiling some water, mixing X amount out dextrose in Y amount of water and figuring out the mL needed to accurately carbonate each bottle and using a simple medical syringe to measure it out. If I ever forget I will def give this a try.

I'd think this could work because it wouldn't take a lot of liquid to dissolve the sugar so it wouldn't be like I'm adding a substantial amount to each bottle.

- ISM NRP

I'm surprised after all these "forgot to add priming sugar" threads that no one has posted something along the lines of boiling some water, mixing X amount out dextrose in Y amount of water and figuring out the mL needed to accurately carbonate each bottle and using a simple medical syringe to measure it out. If I ever forget I will def give this a try.

I'd think this could work because it wouldn't take a lot of liquid to dissolve the sugar so it wouldn't be like I'm adding a substantial amount to each bottle.

- ISM NRP

This is exactly what I just said (sort of). The drops should keep it fairly consistent. And I think would be easier than trying to keep reloading a medical syringe to the same amount every time.

Right, until you realize that it's 30-60 drops/mL, and you'll need a few mL per bottle. It's much easier to draw up to 5 mL 54 times than it is to count to 300 drops 54 times.

I don't know why people get so bent out of shape about using .5 tsp. sugar. Ok so it wont be perfect but it wont be far off either from your target volume. A lot of people complain about those carb tabs too and irregular carb. As well as some people seem to get uneven carb from adding to the bucket when racking(for some reason/ I like to think sometimes they may have a few unclean bottles possibly but Im shure its possible) Its not like if you add a half a tsp best you can that it would cause bottle bombs unless it wasn't finished or had infection. 3/4 tsp probably is overcarbanating or well carbonated. but when your measuring a half tsp its not like your adding up to 3/4 tsp. Unless your really sloppy. Ive went with .5 tsp sugar or 3/4 tsp of corn sugar with good results the few times I did. Ive added some prime drops the last batch I did because I primaried from my bottle bucket and bottled straight from it(which was easy and worked great by the way), muntons drops I think, and I would say it was a little more carbonated than I would have liked but still not perfect. At least for the style of beer I made, it was a little inappropriate.

If you decide to add corn sugar to each bottle, a faster and more accurate way to add the sugar: weigh the amount of sugar you need to add per bottle in grams, then put all of the sugar in a bowl on the scale, tare the scale, then dip into the sugar and pull out what you need, (will show a negative number), add it to the bottle, then tare the scale again and repeat until done.

Right, until you realize that it's 30-60 drops/mL, and you'll need a few mL per bottle. It's much easier to draw up to 5 mL 54 times than it is to count to 300 drops 54 times.

I see, I didn't do the math. I think it would be more like 20 drops per mL, since we do this sort of thing at work, and four drops equals roughly .20 - .25 mL depending on how viscous the liquid is. That will still not work though since it does seem like you would need several mL per bottle.

doing just 1 mL per bottle means you'd have to dissolve all that sugar in like two ounces of water which probably is not enough water.

I'm facing this problem right now. I have what seems like it'll be a very nice session saison setting there laughing at me, instead of carb'ing. Somewhere, I have a little double-ended scoop from Mr. Beer that should be perfect for the job; all I have to do is find it. Oh, and buy some more caps....

The scoop itself seems very practical, although I never used it; I went straight into batch priming instead (except when I forget). One side is for 12 oz bottles, the other is for 16 0z bottles, and each scoop has a notch on the side that makes leveling it easy.

Mine is black. Dunno why their website has a picture of a yellow one instead; it's hard to make out the details.

priming scoop.jpg

It makes sense. Fermentation doesn't really stop when we bottle. It just slows asymptotically to the point where we don't pick up a measurable change after three days. Over three months it seems quite possible that the yeast could continue to convert what little remaining fermentable sugars are still in the beer but at an increasingly slow pace. Personally I do not have that kind of patience and that is why I make beer and not wine, mead or cider :).

I'm facing this problem right now. I have what seems like it'll be a very nice session saison setting there laughing at me, instead of carb'ing. Somewhere, I have a little double-ended scoop from Mr. Beer that should be perfect for the job; all I have to do is find it. Oh, and buy some more caps....

The scoop itself seems very practical, although I never used it; I went straight into batch priming instead (except when I forget). One side is for 12 oz bottles, the other is for 16 0z bottles, and each scoop has a notch on the side that makes leveling it easy.

Mine is black. Dunno why their website has a picture of a yellow one instead; it's hard to make out the details.

I tried using this scoop, shortly after posting. I opened a bottle, added a scoop of sugar - and foam came fountaining out. So that was the end of that...

I can only assume that the yeast had kept slowly working on residual sugars, as others have mentioned. So I put the batch away to see if it would carbonate enough to be worthwhile, and basically forgot about it. Out of sight, out of mind...

If I remember when I get off work this evening, I'll stash one of the bottles in the fridge and open it in a day or two.

It makes sense. Fermentation doesn't really stop when we bottle. It just slows asymptotically to the point where we don't pick up a measurable change after three days. Over three months it seems quite possible that the yeast could continue to convert what little remaining fermentable sugars are still in the beer but at an increasingly slow pace. Personally I do not have that kind of patience and that is why I make beer and not wine, mead or cider :).

I'm so glad someone on here is finally talking about overcarbing without immediately blaming infection. It does happen. After every beer I've bottled since I began about a year ago continued to overcarb with time, and with finally getting my first bottle bomb last weekend, I decided to get serious about seeing what's going on with my carbonation.

I borrowed a Zahn-Nagel carb tester from work and tested a bottle from every batch currently in my inventory that was made from a dry American Ale yeast (US-05, M-44 or BRY-97) and that was "normal" OG (1.050-1.070). These parameters selected so as to get a good sample size of comparable batches. I then calculated the "overcarb" on each one, defined as measured vol CO2 - target vol CO2 (as per priming calculators). Then I plotted overcarb vs. time since bottling (in weeks), and that graph is attached.

(A 2nd order polynomial or exponential fit might actually be better, and would give some hope that they eventually STOP overcarbing given enough time! Or else I guess that'd all bottle bomb eventually, huh?)

I also took gravity readings at test time and compared to the FG at bottling...which, by the way, was in all cases stable for at least a week. The 3-4 week old brews had lost 2 pts, the 7 week old brews lost 4 pts, and the 11 week old brew lost 6 pts. Yes, they are continuing to ferment in the bottle over weeks and months.

These are all 12oz bottles. All primed with corn sugar. They are all stored in stacked milk crates in a dark room at room temp (avg. ~75F). I've had numerous other batches that also were consistently finely carbed at 3-4 weeks, clearly overcarbed by 6-8 weeks, then nothing but foam-in-the-glass by 12+ weeks. Nailing carbing is my white whale.

It is not my sanitation, that's impeccable. What I do believe is that priming simply "reawakens" fermentation (just like people sometimes do when they get a stuck ferment, or when they want to make a super-strong ale with "sequential feedings" of fermentables, etc.), and in that bottle you've already got a lot of residual fermentables and especially near-fermentables(e.g., short-chain dextrins) continuing to be acid-hydrolyzed in that low-pH environment and ready to go on getting chewed up by the yeast slowly over months.

I did catch the 3-4 week old batches in time to throw many bottles in the fridge, pasteurize some, and leave some alone, so I can monitor those over the next few weeks and months. It's really too late to do anything with the others except maybe try to de-gas them a bit by tipping caps. I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that I gotta get a separate beer fridge for my bottles to go into at about 3-4 weeks!

I believe this happens to a lot of newbs like me who bottle and store at non-fridge temperatures (witness the many overcarb and bottle bomb threads), and most of them probably have been beaten down and convinced that their sanitation is simply bad. Well, I don't necessarily believe that's the case.

Fitted Line_ Overcarbonated by (vol CO2) versus Time in bottle (weeks).jpg

Yep, very possible. Your beer will be a bit drier, and the long wait will kill you, but yeah, it's a real thing.

I can confirm that it will happen with wine. Bottled a wine after 4-6 months and multiple rackings in late winter/early spring. SG has been stable for at least a month if not two and I know have a bunch of bottles of sparkling blackberry wine. Only one has broken so far, trying to drink them quickly...

I have noticed that sometimes if my DIPAs finish higher than I want them (1.018-1.014) and are cloying sweet they get way better after a month in the bottle and lose that unwanted sweetness.

I've got a batch a porter that in now gushing upon opening. I kept thinking infection, but it tastes fine ( when I can save some!). You post leads me to conclude that a combination of bottling a little too soon (didn't check FG since it was three weeks in the bucket - 05 yeast) and now the bottles have set out too long in the warmer room. I may have to do a dedicated fridge for them as well.
Good research and :mug:post!

I'm so glad someone on here is finally talking about overcarbing without immediately blaming infection. It does happen. After every beer I've bottled since I began about a year ago continued to overcarb with time, and with finally getting my first bottle bomb last weekend, I decided to get serious about seeing what's going on with my carbonation.

I borrowed a Zahn-Nagel carb tester from work and tested a bottle from every batch currently in my inventory that was made from a dry American Ale yeast (US-05, M-44 or BRY-97) and that was "normal" OG (1.050-1.070). These parameters selected so as to get a good sample size of comparable batches. I then calculated the "overcarb" on each one, defined as measured vol CO2 - target vol CO2 (as per priming calculators). Then I plotted overcarb vs. time since bottling (in weeks), and that graph is attached.

(A 2nd order polynomial or exponential fit might actually be better, and would give some hope that they eventually STOP overcarbing given enough time! Or else I guess that'd all bottle bomb eventually, huh?)

I also took gravity readings at test time and compared to the FG at bottling...which, by the way, was in all cases stable for at least a week. The 3-4 week old brews had lost 2 pts, the 7 week old brews lost 4 pts, and the 11 week old brew lost 6 pts. Yes, they are continuing to ferment in the bottle over weeks and months.

These are all 12oz bottles. All primed with corn sugar. They are all stored in stacked milk crates in a dark room at room temp (avg. ~75F). I've had numerous other batches that also were consistently finely carbed at 3-4 weeks, clearly overcarbed by 6-8 weeks, then nothing but foam-in-the-glass by 12+ weeks. Nailing carbing is my white whale.

It is not my sanitation, that's impeccable. What I do believe is that priming simply "reawakens" fermentation (just like people sometimes do when they get a stuck ferment, or when they want to make a super-strong ale with "sequential feedings" of fermentables, etc.), and in that bottle you've already got a lot of residual fermentables and especially near-fermentables(e.g., short-chain dextrins) continuing to be acid-hydrolyzed in that low-pH environment and ready to go on getting chewed up by the yeast slowly over months.

I did catch the 3-4 week old batches in time to throw many bottles in the fridge, pasteurize some, and leave some alone, so I can monitor those over the next few weeks and months. It's really too late to do anything with the others except maybe try to de-gas them a bit by tipping caps. I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that I gotta get a separate beer fridge for my bottles to go into at about 3-4 weeks!

I believe this happens to a lot of newbs like me who bottle and store at non-fridge temperatures (witness the many overcarb and bottle bomb threads), and most of them probably have been beaten down and convinced that their sanitation is simply bad. Well, I don't necessarily believe that's the case.

Back