Apple Pie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PrairieGirl

Reaction score
NEVER made any kind of home brew, liquer or anything like that! But, sampled some Apple Pie last winter around a camp fire. I have the recipe and ingredients as well as a large stainless steel pot. Can I bottle in plastic? If I bottle in glass fruit jars - do they need sealed in some way? Do they have to be refrigerated?

I know - dumb questions but I told you I am a rank beginner.

Thanks,
PrairieGirl :confused:

Apple Pie? :confused: Well, if that is some beer name thats certainly unique. Sounds like you have a lot of questions. Start Here and review the introduction and section 1 to understand the basic process. Then if still intrigued this is what I bought to get started which similar setups can be purchased locally or online.

Sorry - maybe I am in the wrong forum. Apple Pie is not actually beer.
Everclear - apple cider - apple juice - ect. Doesn't have to ferment.
Cook it a bit. Cool. Add the Everclear. Delicious!

My own feelings: glass would be best. Shouldn't go "bad" out of frig because of all the sugar. Just need confirmation. Whata you guys think?

Ok, did a google and found this and now is much clearer. To your original question I'd use glass. I thought everclear melted plastic :cool: . Jars, hmmm a little bit humorous to walk to your next bash with some "jars" of an everclear concoction but that'd work. Might be cooler to walk in with a black ceramic jug with XXX on it though. I wouldn't worry about contamination with a liter of everclear and with the recipe I found is 1/6 everclear and probably would survive a nuclear holocost :D

As a whole this site does dominate in the beer realm but hey what the heck. So this was good? Might be interesting...

Yes, this is very good. :D A little dab will do ya though.
It was served to me from a mason jar. But, you are right - would look cooler in something else. I could jar it, then pour into serving decanter.
Everclear melts plastic, huh. Never knew that. Thanks!

Why do you need to bottle it at all? It's a mixed drink, right? Just mix it up before the party and serve it in a punch bowl. Or put it in any ole' glass container. No different from any mixed drink, and you certainly don't need to worry about the kinds of things homebrewers worry about.

I never bottle Bloody Mary's or Margaritas....

Something like this:

Ingredients
1 gallon apple juice
1 gallon apple cider
3-4 cups white sugar
6-8 cinnamon sticks
1 qt or 750ml Everclear (I don't think they sell the 190 proof anymore)

Directions
In a large pot, combine apple juice, apple cider, sugar and cinnamon sticks. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat and let cool completely. When juice mixture is cool, Stir in Everclear.

I had someone give me a little of this last winter, made with moonshine...A little daba doo ya....It will knock you on your arse, but it is pretty good to sip on around a campfire

Just made a batch of Apple Pie and poured it into glass gallon jugs. Does this need to be stored in fridge?

If you used sanitary practices there is no reason to refrigerate i bottle mine and set it on a shelf or on my wine rack with no problems. However i once made a blueberry pie and bottled directly after bottling a wine and i must not have sanitized my syphon as well as i should have because the pie started fermenting and popping corks across the living room. That was a mess.

Back