Hot Side Aeration...so im an idiot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EamusCatuli

Reaction score
So I drained all my runnings into a bucket (mash and sparge) and then put them into my kettle for boiling. Because im an idiot and wasnt thinking I poured my wort from my bucket into my kettle. by the time it was all in there my brain finally said STOP, HOT SIDE AERATION. Too late....:mad:

So, given the fact that that really did happen, am I going to see any ill effects in my beer (cardboard taste) if I dont let the finished beer go more than a month without drinking? I heard it takes a few months for that to happen.

BTW, the reason i drained my runnings into a bucket is because I needed the measurement markings on it to decipher how much to sparge with. My kettle has none.

no. DO NOT WORRY ABOUT HSA. especially if you drink your beer within months of brewing it. it takes a LONG time for the effects to come out and you have to do an incredible amount of splashing for it to be a problem. it's almost impossible to accomplish on a homebrew scale.

It doesn't really matter. The boil will drive off any remaining oxygen in the wort, and HSA flavors age out as long as there's active yeast anyway. It's kind of a boogeyman on the homebrew level.

no. DO NOT WORRY ABOUT HSA. especially if you drink your beer within months of brewing it. it takes a LONG time for the effects to come out and you have to do an incredible amount of splashing for it to be a problem. it's almost impossible to accomplish on a homebrew scale.

Rock on, thanks DeathBrewer

I think IF HSA is a concern it would have to be POST boil while its still hot. Like was said, if its PRE boil all of they oxygen is going to be boiled off....

I think IF HSA is a concern it would have to be POST boil while its still hot. Like was said, if its PRE boil all of they oxygen is going to be boiled off....

I also think this is far less of a concern than most people seem to think....if you end up with post boil oxygenation the yeast are going to eat all of that. I guess I've got a lot of issues to work out before I start loosing sleep over HSA!

Is this HSA worry day??? This is the second one today....

Here's what I posted in Steverino's thread...

HSA, another bogeyman for homebrewers....another thing that made the leap from commercial breweries of tastless lager that has to have a long shelf life and absolutely no flavor (good or bad) otherwise.

Hot-side aeration can be demonstrated in medium and large commercial breweries because the brewing equipment is so big that splashing is a really dramatic event. Think of liquid flowing through a six-inch pipe at 400 gallons per minute and cascading 12 feet through the air before hitting the bottom of a tank.

But to the home brewer....meh.

Basic brewing did a couple podcasts on it...I like this quote on Maltybrew.com

Hot-side aeration…myth?

I listened to a great podcast from Basic Brewing Radio yesterday on hot-side aeration. Everyone seems to debate whether or not this is a concern for homebrewing. The podcast covers an experiment done by some homebrewers in Austin where they try hard to cause HSA in a small batch.

I was never too concerned about HSA in my brewing and now I think I’m even less concerned.

This is your punishment for not RDWHAHBing.. :D

[youtube]lyl5DlrsU90[/youtube]

FWIW, boiling does drive off oxygen but not oxygen that is bound to long-chain staling aldehydes (Principles of Brewing Science, Dr. George Fix), which are responsible for HSA. In terms of homebrewing, this is splitting hairs, but only to illustrate the myth that "boiling drives off all oxygen".

BUT---as it has been said about 100 times over the past week, it's more of a commercial brewery issue, rare on the homebrew scale.

AND---can you tell the difference between oxidized beer caused by HSA vs. oxidization post-fermentation? It's still oxidation and still tastes like wet cardboard. :cross:

To that end, take DeathBrewer's spot-on advice:

Cheers!

to help with with your boil pot with no markings, i have like 4 ft of pvc that i put markings on for 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 gallons. to measure it, i filled a jug with a known amount of water and just added and added till i got each level.

So I drained all my runnings into a bucket (mash and sparge) and then put them into my kettle for boiling. Because im an idiot and wasnt thinking I poured my wort from my bucket into my kettle. by the time it was all in there my brain finally said STOP, HOT SIDE AERATION. Too late....:mad:

So, given the fact that that really did happen, am I going to see any ill effects in my beer (cardboard taste) if I dont let the finished beer go more than a month without drinking? I heard it takes a few months for that to happen.

BTW, the reason i drained my runnings into a bucket is because I needed the measurement markings on it to decipher how much to sparge with. My kettle has none.

lol........I did the same thing last weekend. Oh well.

Someone on this site put it best: HSA is the chupacabra of homebrewing. HSA is largely a creature of large scale brewing, because they can have wort pumped at a high velocity, which can get a lot more oxgenation, and they keep the beer around a lot longer.

Kill the Malaysian Prime Minister because babies "WANT TO WORK"... :-[ (old school, Vampire smile).
I have a hard enough time getting the enzymes and yeast to do their work.

I always dump my hot runnings right into the boiler with nary a care in the world. It splashes around like crazy. Never had a problem. So now I'm worried about leaving my beer on the yeast for 2 weeks, will that cause autolysis????

:D ;)

watch this.

I really wouldnt worry about it

:D Pretty much says it right there. This should be stickied.

So now I'm worried about leaving my beer on the yeast for 2 weeks, will that cause autolysis????

Yes, it will. Immediately package all your beer and send it to me for...um, analysis. Yeah, that's it, analysis. :D

So im very convinced not to worry about HSA, thank you all for that.

HOWEVER, this doesnt mean im going to keep that process of dumping my runnings into the kettle. I mean why would HSA even be a term/ threat if it really doesnt even exist? Even Palmer says you should never aerate on the "hot-side."

HOWEVER, this doesnt mean im going to keep that process of dumping my runnings into the kettle.

You're right, it's a good idea not to...Just because it takes a lot to ruin beer, doesn't mean we don't practice good procedures in our brewing...It just means when we make a mistake we don't worry that our beer is instantly ruined....we just go into RDWHAHB mode...

Back