Grain/Water Ratio?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennisusa

Reaction score
Could someone give me some advise on how critical the grain/water ratio is for mashing?

I'd always been told the slurry needed to be thick to get high extractions. But nowadays everyones' going with RIMs/HERMs systems which need more more water to operate effectively.

Was low water-ratio mashing simply a myth dumped on me or is there any substance to this?

I run 1.5 or 1.75 qt:lbs depending on how I am approaching my mash. I get good efficiency, high 70's on my lighter beers and into the 80's with some of my darker ones.

I've always used a ratio of 1.25 and have had good results. High 70s/low 80s efficiencies, usually.

To anyone researching just reading this thread, please read this excerpt from Palmer:

"A thinner mash of >2 quarts of water per pound of grain dilutes the relative concentration of the enzymes, slowing the conversion, but ultimately leads to a more fermentable mash because the enzymes are not inhibited by a high concentration of sugars. A stiff mash of <1.25 quarts of water per pound is better for protein breakdown, and results in a faster overall starch conversion, but the resultant sugars are less fermentable and will result in a sweeter, maltier beer."

If Palmer's right - go for the more dilute mix and getter a better extraction.

Thanks to all who helped.

Yeah, with my 1.25 qt/lb I'm getting 75-80% efficiency. I buy my grains from BrewmastersWarehouse and have them mill my grain and others swear by their milling (I don't really have a comparison). My last two batches were both 10 gal batches with 18+ lb of grain, in my 10gal MLT I have no choice but to run 1.25 - which I did even with 5 gal batches and still get my above mentioned efficiency (75-80%).

No difference in attenuation perhaps, but the Kaiser test concludes ".. thinner mashes perform better and allow for better extraction of the grain."

There's no difference in attenuation between thick and thin mashes. Resident brew science guru Kaiser did the tests a while ago.
Based on what I have observed, I would agree with Kaiser's conclusions within the limits that he tested.
Going outside those limits however, I think that there can be a considerable difference. I usually brew British Ales, and they are traditionally mashed at 1 qt / lb (outside of Kaiser's parameters).
I've tried 1 qt per lb, and mashing at 150 - 152. Results were excellent.
I tried the same recipes at 1.25 qt / lb. This resulted in a very thin tasting beer (by British standards) with greater attenuation. Sorry, but I have lost the records, and I can't remember what the attenuation difference was.
I tried mashing at 156F and 1.25 qts / lb, and the attenuation reduced, but there were severe off flavors. Again the records have been lost.
In support of this, I quote Greg Noonan New Brewing Lager Beer (page 140 in my copy)
"Mash thickness also affects the fermentability of the wort. A thick mash (less than three-tenths of a gallon of water per pound of malt), induces the greatest overall extraction. A much thinner mash increases the proportion of maltose, and thus wort attenuation."

and Ray Daniels Designing Great Beers Page 15 in my copy, table 3.1
"158F mash of 2 row malt, Flavor notes O3"
were O indicates off flavors, and 3 indicates strong to overwhelming

-a.

I use 1 qt/lb for English beers and 1.25 for all else, and get great efficiency with both.

Latest posts

Back