750ml belgian bottles but no corker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was wondering the same thing. Asked at my LHBS and they showed me. It won't work. The guy grinned and said, "We sell teflon thread tape, though.";)

Will that seal well enough for it to carbonate? And if it holds the seal for carbonation will the cage be enough to hold it it?

Will that seal well enough for it to carbonate? And if it holds the seal for carbonation will the cage be enough to hold it it?
IF it held the seal (and based on what I saw it won't), then yeah, the cage would hold it. But unless someone here's done it successfully, then I can't believe it would carbonate.

Yes it will

Ever buy cheap champagne?
Plastic cork, hows that bottle seal hold up?

No it won't, actually. Champagne comes in different style bottles than the Belgian style 750mls mentioned in the original post.

Do you have a local homebrew shop? If they have a corker, chances are, they'll rent it out to you for the day for a nominal fee. Mine rents for 24 hours for less than $10.

No it won't, actually. Champagne comes in different style bottles than the Belgian style 750mls mentioned in the original post.

Please tell me what to do with the case of Strong Golden I have carbonated to 4.5 volumes in my basement then.

Have you tried it or did someone just tell you it wouldnt work?

Are they in bottles like these?

When I inquired at my home brew shop to get some, I asked about the plastic corks. So we grabbed a 750 off the shelf and tried to see if the plastic cork would fit and they didn't. That was the experience I had.

Are they in bottles like these?

When I inquired at my home brew shop to get some, I asked about the plastic corks. So we grabbed a 750 off the shelf and tried to see if the plastic cork would fit and they didn't. That was the experience I had.

Yes

I have run into ONE 750ml bottle where the plastic cork was too loose.

I would prefer to use corks and will but I was in a bind and the LHBS who usually has "one of everything" didnt have any corks.

The presentation on the plastic corks leaves much to be desired but they are holding pressure.

Interesting. Thanks for letting me know. I will have to try with the other shop in the area to see if their bottles or corks are any different.

Interesting. Thanks for letting me know. I will have to try with the other shop in the area to see if their bottles or corks are any different.

There is definately a difference in some of the 750 ml bottles

Some I was afraid of breaking the bottle while pushing the plastic cork in , they were that tight. A very few seemed a bit loose but all is well.
Actually, some of the Belgian bottles were harder to get the plastic cork into that the champagne bottles I used.

I have plenty of corks in stock now and a good source that can have them in a few days now.

Did you guys ever considered using these kind of flip top caps?
They work very nicely and easily attached.

bottlesbrew.jpg

Geeh, sorry about the link, i buy it there in Montreal:
Welcome to Moût International Inc.

I am thinking it must be a pretty common item that could be found in most HBS?

I also use those on some wine bottles for my homebrew, the only thing, they have to have a little bumpy neck just so it can hold the cap retainer metal strap.

Geeh, sorry about the link, i buy it there in Montreal:
Welcome to Moût International Inc.

I am thinking it must be a pretty common item that could be found in most HBS?

I also use those on some wine bottles for my homebrew, the only thing, they have to have a little bumpy neck just so it can hold the cap retainer metal strap.

Your post is the first time I've ever seen one.

Was there a name on the package?

Hold on, i'll have to check if i still have the original item name or #

May take a while cause i have to go on a call (werk) but i'll get back to it.

Well, i phoned there this afternoon and the clerk seemed like the type who couldn't tell his left foot from his right even if his life was depending on it, so I'll try back tomorrow, hopefully I'll stumble on someone else.

I'll keep you guys posted anyways.

The only down side with this type of capping are the red gaskets, they tend to become less efficient with time, if you put your bottles in the dishwasher, it's best to remove the seals and sanitize em by hand separately.

extra seals can be bought separately.

But they are so cool, no capping machine, big 750ml bottles... ho yeah babby! :)

Yes, it could be made by someone having some metal sheet crafting skills, but considering the price, i don't know if it would be worth the extra work.

If you want i could post detailed pics about that part.

Cant find my invoice or the original part #
You guys could phone there and ask about the details, their are supposed to have English speaking staff as well.

Ok here are the Item # for the flip top parts:

AF41410 = The flip top caps, $0.30 per unit
AF41411 = The metal sheet retainers, $0.15 per unit

Replacement Seals can be bought for $6.00 for a bag of 100
(Prices are in Canadian currency)

Hope this will help.

Re-bump.....these look quite useful. Has anyone in the US contacted them for an order? Any idea on minimum order size or shipping costs to the US? (Or anyone in the US supplying these things?)

There's this awesome new thing called google....

Seriously, I didn't know there was such a thing. Yes please!

Back