BIAB Brew Stand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Culln5

Reaction score
Here's the start of my BIAB brew stand.......

It will be 20"W x 40"L x 20"H, have 2 10" burners, a bottom shelf, a midship mounted swinging mast with hoist, and will stand on its end to store vertically.

It will be a slow project but I'll update this thread as I go.

George

1416179979172.jpg

1416180007113.jpg

1416180068973.jpg

1416180099761.jpg

1416180109641.jpg

1416180122733.jpg

1416180138362.jpg

What is the cost of your build (without burners)?

At this point there really isn't much cost for me....

• 40' of 2" Square Stock - FREE
  • Wheels and Hardware - $15
  • 2 BG14 Banjo Burners - $75
  • Dual Propane Regulator - $35

What size pots are you looking at? Will the pots be used to mash, then sparge. Or are you thinking simultaneous dual batching?

My original plan is to mash and sparge separately, but could theoretically do two batches at once.

I use a 15 gallon and 8 gallon kettle. I'm hoping to mount a midship "boom" that will rotate to both kettles.

George

What size pots are you looking at? Will the pots be used to mash, then sparge. Or are you thinking simultaneous dual batching?

My original plan is to mash and sparge separately, but could theoretically do two batches at once.

I use a 15 gallon and 8 gallon kettle. I'm hoping to mount a midship "boom" that will rotate to both

This looks great, I think this is actually what I wanna do but just have it bolted together so I can take it down when I'm not using it

Looks good! I'm thinking of making something similar, but just a single stand with a natural gas burner so I can brew indoors with the door closed...

Question - I assume you were just test-fitting the burner diameter in the pic? I know that there is an optimal distance from burner to kettle (depending on the hardware) - how far below the kettle do you plan to mount the burner?

Looks good! I'm thinking of making something similar, but just a single stand with a natural gas burner so I can brew indoors with the door closed...

Question - I assume you were just test-fitting the burner diameter in the pic? I know that there is an optimal distance from burner to kettle (depending on the hardware) - how far below the kettle do you plan to mount the burner?

My plan is to make it adjustable between 2"-4". I have a couple bracket ideas but haven't decided on one yet.

I am running those same burners. They are the king ****. However I offer a few pieces of advice. Do as you wish.

1) give yourself about 4-6" of clearance from top of burner to bottom of your keg
2) do not run these at the 30 psi they say.... I melted a keg. Full of water. No joke.
3) drink a homebrew. Happy brewing!

I am running those same burners. They are the king ****. However I offer a few pieces of advice. Do as you wish.

1) give yourself about 4-6" of clearance from top of burner to bottom of your keg
2) do not run these at the 30 psi they say.... I melted a keg. Full of water. No joke.
3) drink a homebrew. Happy brewing!

I'll take all the advice anyone is willing to give! The brackets will allow for 2-4" of adjustment below the 2" tubing depth for a total of up to 6". I have purchased a a dual feed 10PSI regulator and have been assured that they will supply both burners sufficiently.

Nice rig!.... You can obviously weld!.... LOL... I am a complete novice.....

I like the idea of the 90 degree burner nozzles..... Where can I pick them up?

George

Picked them up at my local hardware store. Lowes or Menards both have them

So..... I've been thinking about my design and how it would work for me..... I wasn't completely satisfied, so I've decided to make a change.....

In it's current state I would mash my BIAB in kettle A on the left, then batch sparge in kettle B on the right. But then I would have to transfer A or B to the other...... Since I have no pumps, this would require me to dump 5+ gallons of hot wort to the other kettle..... This is where I wasn't satisfied.

I will be increasing the height of the left burner proportionately to the height of the right burner. This will allow me to mash in kettle A on the left, gravity drain it to kettle B on the right, batch sparge in kettle A on the left while slowly bringing kettle B on the right up to a boil. When the batch sparge in kettle A is finished I can again gravity drain it to kettle B and finish bringing it to a boil..... I can't believe I didn't see this earlier!

I hope to have some time this weekend to work on it, so pictures of the progress should be on the way!

Update?

I'm thinking of building a similar setup only with electric elements instead of gas burners, but still using gravity to transfer from BIAB kettle to chiller then to the fermenter.

Update?

I'm thinking of building a similar setup only with electric elements instead of gas burners, but still using gravity to transfer from BIAB kettle to chiller then to the fermenter.

Not yet. It's been too cold in the garage to work on it. Hopefully soon!

Thanks! It's been brutally hot and I haven't been working on it..... Hopefully soon!

Back