Philadelphia signs Vick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i cant wait to see the peta freak show that tags along with every game he plays, and i cant wait to see the philly fans kick the **** out of them. he paid his dews, two years in jail, completely bankrupt, put to shame on a national scale, and i can assure you he damn sure wont mess with that crap again if he has half a brain in his head. i'm glad he got a job back.

I hope he gets pelted with garbage and stale beer everytime he goes in or out of the tunnel, home and road.

Hmm, Eagles play down here (Atlanta) on 12-6. That should be an interesting game.

I am surprised that the Raiders didn't take him. Either way he should be shot and there is no way I would ever say he's paid his dues. The NFL is a pile for accepting him back.

Santa Claus deserved the snow balls that he was pelted with, imo. ;)

As far as Vick, I am reserving judgment until I see how this plays out. I hated him when he played for the Falcons. I thought he was a showboat who didn't deliver in a fashion commensurate with his blowhardiness.

I am of mixed emotions on this. I am a dog and cat lover who feels that people who fight dogs should be fed their own testicles. On the other hand, I am a rabid Eagles fan and would forgive just about anybody just about any transgression if they then became instrumental in bringing a Super Bowl victory to this great city. (EDIT: a ;) is necessary here. I am actually kind of pissed that we signed him and think that he is a scumbag who should have been banned from the league for good. F#$% him. Maybe if he was put in a pit and forced to fight for his life multiple times then I might believe that he had begun to see the error of his ways instead of just mourning his loss of status.)

That said, I really can't believe that Philly is the city that took him. Just last night I was making fun of the city that felt desperate enough to sign his sorry ass. Maybe we are in talks with Donte Stallworth about re-signing him. After all, he has paid his debt to society too, right? I was kind of expecting Dallas or Cincinnati to make this announcement. Jerry Jones seems to enjoy picking up the controversial players and Cincinnati, well, Vick would just fit in there.

i cant wait to see the peta freak show that tags along with every game he plays, and i cant wait to see the philly fans kick the **** out of them. he paid his dews, two years in jail, completely bankrupt, put to shame on a national scale, and i can assure you he damn sure wont mess with that crap again if he has half a brain in his head. i'm glad he got a job back.

Completely bankrupt won't last long being signed to an NFL contract.
Fox is reporting that the first year of the deal is worth $1.6 million.

And you say he wont "mess with that crap again" if he has half a brain? I'm guessing he will, because if he had half a brain he wouldn't have done it in the first place.

That POS should NOT have been allowed back into the NFL. They should have used him as a warning to the players; Just because you are a famous athlete, it does not mean you can participate in such horrible activities with such blatant disregard for life.

And his whole remorse act. I believe that he really is sorry. He's sorry he had to lose his money and go to prison. That's it. He's scum and he deserves everything that's happened to him and everything else that will come down on his head. Literally and figuratively.

everyone knocking Vick needs to put things into perspective, he fought dogs, did 2 years in a federal pen and lost all his money. Stallworth killed a man while drunk driving an did 26 days. vick deserves a second chance, he did his time.

everyone knocking Vick needs to put things into perspective, he fought dogs, did 2 years in a federal pen and lost all his money. Stallworth killed a man while drunk driving an did 26 days. vick deserves a second chance, he did his time.

i have to agree.

I'm an animal lover, and deplore what he did, but I do feel he paid for his crime.

However I thought jeffery lurie learned his lesson on controversial players following TO. Guess not.

Ya'll realize what you have to do to crack top 10 of the most despicable athletes. Ray Lewis was charged with murder, miraculously, it was reduced to obstruction of justice. Dante Stallworth. Mike Tyson, how many things. Mark Chmura eventually found innocent of sexual assault but later admitted that his behavior at a Catholic school prom was inappropriate for a married man. The list of drug users/providers as well as sexual preditors is unbelievable. While I love dogs, I personally don't put their lives on the same plane as human. If you do, that's fine and I respect that. Anyway, I believe Michael Vick is a bone thug. I further believe that he is so arrogant that he won't be able to stay out of trouble. Look at his dumb ass brother. Not to mention all of the relatives that he was supporting rolled over on his ignorant ass. However, according to the rules of our society, he is eligible to play football again. Once Tony Dungy agreed to be his mentor, you knew he would be back in the NFL. I'm suprised Philly took him because it will just cause more dissention within a football team with the potential to be great. On a final note, the NFL as are all of the other sports groups are granted a monopoly, legally. That's why, even if we have the money, we can't just start an NFL team. That means that those groups have to be very careful about lifetime bans. Gambling on the sport, like Pete Rose did is actually one of the few things that are listed that can lead to a lifetime ban. Apparently, dog fighting isn't. - Dwain

yea, i figured the eagles would not have looked at him, but his style of play does lend itself to be a good backup for mcnabb since kolb it just about worthless.

Yeah, Kolb recently got injured and it must be alot worse than they are letting on. McNabb and Vick are also both athletic and Donovan has been known to be injury prone in the past. Either way I'm not a huge Vick fan but he lost EVERYTHING because of the dog fighting and had to serve time in jail. I think he realized what he did was wrong and I hope he finds some success in his NFL career. IMO Vick was the most entertaining player in the NFL before the dog fighting scandal.

I agree that Vick deserves a second chance, because i believe that most everyone does. But to compare accident from a piss-poor decision to a willful act, with precognition, of setting the stage for a fight to the death is a bit like apples and oranges don't you think?

And his whole remorse act. I believe that he really is sorry. He's sorry he had to lose his money and go to prison. That's it. He's scum and he deserves everything that's happened to him and everything else that will come down on his head. Literally and figuratively.

From the Associated Press report:
“The free agent NFL quarterback … told a crowd of about 250 to ‘use me as an example for your dreams.’ Vick also told them that after accomplishing his goals he ‘allowed someone who didn’t have my best interests at heart to take all that away from me,’ according to a release from the school.”

Remorseful that he let someone else take it all away from him. He didn't do anything wrong, I guess.

But to compare accident from a piss-poor decision to a willful act, with precognition, of setting the stage for a fight to the death is a bit like apples and oranges don't you think?
I think that stats prove that if you drive while impaired, you are going to get in an "accident", it's just a matter of when. Stallworth's decision to drive while impaired was a wiiling act. He had to know that there was a chance for an accident that could result in death. I could argue that Stallworth's act was a willful act, with precognition, that according to the number of deaths attributed to DUI each year was setting the stage for a death. Having said that, I don't equate the loss of a dog to the loss of a human (other than a select few individuals).- Dwain

But to compare accident from a piss-poor decision to a willful act, with precognition, of setting the stage for a fight to the death is a bit like apples and oranges don't you think?
I think that stats prove that if you drive while impaired, you are going to get in an "accident", it's just a matter of when. Stallworth's decision to drive while impaired was a wiiling act. He had to know that there was a chance for an accident that could result in death. I could argue that Stallworth's act was a willful act, with precognition, that according to the number of deaths attributed to DUI each year was setting the stage for a death. Having said that, I don't equate the loss of a dog to the loss of a human (other than a select few individuals).- Dwain

Now you're bringing logic into play...lol. They are not the same, but they are both wrong. I already acknowledged that i believe each deserve a second chance because I think everyone does. Doesn't make the events comparable other than they were both wrong and unfortunate.

He just tortured animals, right? All the greats started out that way!
Albert DeSalvo, the “Boston Strangler,”
Jeffrey Dahmer
Edward Emil Kemper lll
Dennis Rader "BTK"
Lee Boyd Malvo
David Berkowitz
Kip Kinkel
Eric Harris
Dylan Klebold
And so many more!

I think he may deserve a second chance, but not at the top. How many people would give everything they had to be a pro football player? What does he do with it? And now he gets to go back to the top and pick up where he left off? That's not justice.

He can have a second chance, but in my mind he has to work his way up from the bottom. Keep his ass out of the NFL and let him try to find redemption somewhere else. It's disgusting that they'll welcome him back and hand him millions of dollars and pretend it all just goes away.

NFL should mandate league minimum for 5 years.

Rubish...that's akin to mandating minimum wage. Everyone should be free to earn what he/she is worth based on skill and ability. I am no fan of Vick's nor what he has partaken in. But he has served his debt to society based on the laws of the USA.

MikeFlynn,
I don't have a problem with him earning the league minimum for 5 years. But, you know his participation is going to bring a tremendous amount of money into the league. Just as many people will be watching him to see him fail as to see him succeed. The majority of that money is going to go into the owner's pocket. Also, by paying him the minimum, you're giving them more money toward the salary cap. I say, pay him the minimum but charge the cap the average of the 2nd quarterbacks in the league. Take that money delta and divide it amoung the NFL charities. If he proves to be a starter, still pay him the minimum for 5 years but charge the cap the average for starting QB's. He gets a second chance, salary helps level the playing field, all the charities get a bump. An as a great byproduct, it will to cost the business money everytime one of the employees screw up, just like the real world.- Dwain

P.S. They already mandate minimum wage in the NFL, as well as free agency etc. all by virtue of the bargaining agreement.

Rubish...that's akin to mandating minimum wage. Everyone should be free to earn what he/she is worth based on skill and ability. I am no fan of Vick's nor what he has partaken in. But he has served his debt to society based on the laws of the USA.

Doesnt matter. the NFL is not a Gov entity. They can impose whatever limits they want to convicted felons.

The NFL fines people who do Endzone dances- I would think people who went to prison for dog fighting wouldnt be rewarded regardless of ablilities.

I think it's disgusting that the NFL even let him back in. he has proven he is nothing better than a genital wart to society yet now he gets millions of dollars to throw around a ball? **** that. let him take his sub standard education and flip burgers for the rest of his life. that or starve him and keep him in a cage only to let him out to fight to the death with some other sub human trash.

sorry, I just have no respect for people who breed and raise dogs for fighting (especially!!!!) only to pad his already worth millions bank account. . .

All the "man on the street" reactions on this morning's news are unanimously negative and no one outside of the Eagles organization seem to support this move. It's already in over-exposure mode here.

I can't imagine that he is going to get the warm reception that Pedro just recently received.

I remember seeing something about Pedro and cock fighting. I guess since that was in the Dominican Republic, chickens aren't highly domesticated animals and they are regularly eaten it's ok?

Just imagine the reception Vick will get if McNabb goes down and Vick can lead them to the Superbowl. They'll be giving him the key to the city! Philly was a good fit for Vick because they have proven that they can handle the TO circus already.

The Philadelphia Eagles ownership is out of line. They have a complete disregard for the fans. They continue to show over and over again that they are so freaking out of touch it makes me sick.

I grew up loving football and the Eagles. I honestly am sick to my stomach this morning. I am going to let some time pass, but my initial reaction was to give up on the team, until new managment comes in, but I am not sure yet. It just stings.

All this "second chance" talk is garbage. Ron Mexico is on like his 25th chance. Don't forget his pot issues, his theft issues, his transmission of an STD to multiple women, his flipping off home fans and an alleged sexual assault. All of this BEFORE his dog fighting racket. He is gutter garbage, he will hopefully end the same.

I just hope he continues to make repairations and pays high agent fees so that he cannot enjoy any of Joe Banner or Jeffry Lorie's money. I will not be buying any gear or tickets this year or next, since I do not want to fund this thug.

I would have liked the sentence to be longer. IMO 2 years is not long enough. But on that same token, you can't lock him up for the rest of his life for that offense. But the sentence was what it was, he served it, and now he is a free man that, IMO, should have all the freedoms any free man should have.

Just imagine the reception Vick will get if McNabb goes down and Vick can lead them to the Superbowl. They'll be giving him the key to the city! Philly was a good fit for Vick because they have proven that they can handle the TO circus already.

I really don't think that's gonna be the case. This city rewards work ethic and players that grind it out...they don't easily forgive or forget; ask Mitch Williams.

T.O? Everyone let out a collective sigh of relief when that baggage left the city.

On a half serious note and keeping on topic...

I'm actually really surprised at the reaction that Eagles fans are apparently having. Sal Palentonio (sp?) was on Mike & Mike this morning saying that people were filing out of the Linc last night in outrage over the signing and that he saw some woman actually CRYING over it.

Seriously?!?!

Apparently the outrage from the fan base is about 100 times worse than anyone expected.

My wife and I treat our dogs like they are our sons. Hell, we sign our holiday cards in order of age, including our dogs (Me, SWMBO,first son, dog, second son). But I think people are way overreacting to this whole thing. (JUST MY OPINION).

He was convicted, served his time and it is overwith. Personally, I don't believe what he did deserves a life sentence, barring him from regaining some fraction of the life he had before the crime.

T.O? Everyone let out a collective sigh of relief when that baggage left the city.

I am of the minority that was sad to see him go. he was reacting to the business practices and treatment of the ownership. He produced while he was here. And whats better, he never hit a dog with a claw hammer.

Back