Nottingham Yeast recall

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rebel_Brewer

Reaction score
For those that did not catch the thread up under the Yeast and Fermentation Section, Danstar (Lallemand) has issued a recall of the Nottingham Dry Yeast Lot #1081140118V.
There is nothing harmful about the batch, it is exhibiting slow or no fermentation. (I pitched 3 batches with it on Sunday and this morning...still nothing, so I pitched them all with US-05, Then this afternoon I get the notice about the official recall...figures).
Anyway, we have notified all of our customers that got a yeast from this batch and replacements are being sent out.
If you have purchaced any Nottingham yeast in the last few weeks, Check your Package.

-Tom

Got this from fellow club members here in Canada about Nottinghan yeast.

We have done some internal quality checks that have shown that a higher than
normal percentage of Nottingham yeast in 11 gram sachet packs from batch
#1081140118V (expiration date of Jan. 2011) exhibit slow fermentation
characteristics. While this is not affecting the majority of packages from
this batch, as a safeguard we would like to replace sachets of this batch of
Nottingham with new inventory from a different batch. If you have any
Nottingham yeast with this batch number, please return it by mail to:
Lallemand Inc.
Attn: Marie Coppet
6100 Royalmount
Montreal, QC, Canada
H4P 2R2
We will replace each sachet sent along with extra sachets to compensate you
for postage costs. We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your
support. Should you have any questions, please contact our Montreal order
desk by e-mail at [email protected] .
Keith Lemcke
Danstar Yeast Sales"

Good!! I have stoped using Nottinghan yeast for this reason. My beers that I have made with this yeast have tasted fine but, I didn't care for the slow fermentation start.

Extra packets to compensate for postage...that's an example of "great" customer service if you ask me. Kudos to Danstar! :rockin::ban::mug:

Or an example of trying to save their rear. Their rep has been seriously damaged on this site. I know even though I haven't had problems, im afraid of using it anymore.

Or an example of trying to save their rear. Their rep has been seriously damaged on this site. I know even though I haven't had problems, im afraid of using it anymore.
I know what you mean, but the point that they will give extra packets to cover your postage is a plus in my book. If it were a US company I am certain P&H is your/our problem. ;)

They could've chosen to ignore it completely. Especially people like me...I have maybe 1 packet of notty in the house...I'll just use it anyhow cuz I don't think its in this lot, and wouldn't send a $1.50 packet of yeast back anyhow.

now if i had bought a brick of it....whole different story :)

I agree with the Kudo's to Danstar. Every manufacturing process out there, whether it is building cars or reproducing yeast can and will experience problems in their process. I think that Danstar has handled this problem quite well and they have been very forthright and coming with their information and is making it right with their customers. If they could be faulted it would be in the speed of publilcly addressing the problem.

I had a long discussion with one of their field reps last week and they think the problem stems from pinholes in their packaging, which they outsource since they are in the yeast business and not in the sachet making business. They have identified the issue, addressed it and are willing to reconcile with the sachet purchasing customers.

I am giving them another chance because I love the way their yeast has performed in the past and because I think they have resolved the issue and have handled it well.

Extra packets to compensate for postage...that's an example of "great" customer service if you ask me. Kudos to Danstar! :rockin::ban::mug:

Agreed, I mean, seriously, WTF is with the criticism here?!?!? They realized there was a problem and they're trying to make good on it. I guess some people will never be happy!

I'm guessing the bad packs were not distributed in my area or I missed them. I'll use Notty until the cows come home.

the funny part is that the suspect packets of yeast still work and attenuate very well like usual - it just has a little bit longer lag time!

Quick panicking and keep using Notty - it's a great yeast!

I had a very slow start on the porter I just brewed using nottingham, I ended up throwing in a pack of coopers after a couple of days.

I thought Ismome how screwed it up, Now I know why.

I'll email my supplier and have him check his stock.

Thanks guys.

I use notty for almost all my beers. I noticed a bit more lag time lately but the beer still turns out fine. Great to see a company own up to the problem and fix it.

Well, I was feeling lazy and didn't feel like checking my packs. Lo and behold, I get an email from Ed (brewmasterswarhouse) saying that their Notty was from this batch. I got my lazy ass up and confirmed. Unfortunately I pitched a pack last weekend into my Smoked Porter. That seems to be doing fine though. Its free yeast, so I'll be sending back my other packs. Way to stand up for your product!

Thanks for passing this along. I just received a shipment this week for two upcoming brews and my Nottingham has this lot # and Exp date. I'll have to use a Safale-05 instead and ship this one back.

Just brewed up a kit today of a holiday ale from a LHBS. This was the yeast in the kit, same lot #. Went to LHBS and got a WL005 instead. I'll be sending this in for a replacement. Good to stand by a product I say. I was actually looking forward to using the Notty, but I did read some people in another thread said they were getting some off flavors using stuff from this lot. Didn't want to take any chances considering I hope to give some of these away to friends for xmas. Man this is SUCH a valuable site.

Many people here have found issues with their notty and slow starts for many months now-just after they changed packaging.

Their quality control just found it. :rolleyes:

Many people here have found issues with their notty and slow starts for many months now-just after they changed packaging.

Their quality control just found it. :rolleyes:

I'm guessing HBT helped with that - I know it was EdWort that got the dude from Danstar to chime in on here....

HBT - saving the world one yeast recall at a time.

But like I said in my other post - the slow starts I had haven't seemed to affect the final product....

woah. I was about to pitch Notty with this batch# today. Thank you!
Safale-05 not a close substitute, but that's what I got...

I didn't find a recall release on their web. This applies to the US as well?

Lo and behold, I get an email from Ed (brewmasterswarhouse) saying that their Notty was from this batch.

I just bought my problem batch notty yesterday. My LHBS didn't say a darn thing about it.

Ed proves once again how he consistently goes above and beyond for his customers.

Well, I was feeling lazy and didn't feel like checking my packs. Lo and behold, I get an email from Ed (brewmasterswarhouse) saying that their Notty was from this batch. I got my lazy ass up and confirmed. Unfortunately I pitched a pack last weekend into my Smoked Porter. That seems to be doing fine though. Its free yeast, so I'll be sending back my other packs. Way to stand up for your product!

My Notty that I received last week was also from brewmasterswarehouse. I didn't get any notification from Ed.

Would it help speed things up if a starter was made? I am considering pitching it anyway since it seems like the notty is still doing its job, just a bit slow.

I found three affected Notty packs in my stash. I think I got them from Northern Brewer or Midwest. Not sure which, probably within the last two or three months. Gonna send them back on Tuesday...

I wonder what about the yeast caused this, would be interesting to know for someone like me who intends on yeast farming and has cultured a lot over the years.

I wonder what about the yeast caused this, would be interesting to know for someone like me who intends on yeast farming and has cultured a lot over the years.

I think it had to do more with the package than the yeast itself. They switched suppliers. If you remember a little while ago, there was a semi shortage of Notty. They stopped producing it because they were having quality control issues with the pouches. They switched suppliers, and apparently they are still having issues.

Ah gotcha, I do remember hearing about a shortage, didn't know that was the reason.

Hmm, I almost went with Nottigham because my LHBS was out of US-05. I'm glad I went with White Labs instead since I pitched a few hours before reading this :D

woah. I was about to pitch Notty with this batch# today. Thank you!
Safale-05 not a close substitute, but that's what I got...

I didn't find a recall release on their web. This applies to the US as well?

Safale 05 is a fine substitute for Notty.

I know it is way too early for this, but I think we should update this thread if/when the company actually sends us back the replacement(s)...

Back