fermenting in a stoneware jug

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quietglow

Reaction score
I was at an estate sale this weekend at the home of a former wine-maker. I ended up buying three 5 gallon stoneware jugs which had been used to store wine or brandy. As you can see in the photo, the last vintage wine in it was 1982. All three jugs have a small amount (less than 1 cup) of wine in them, and all three smell absolutely amazing -- more brandy than wine. The people running the sale also gave me a wine bottle labeled "1971 cab" and a gallon of grappa.

For fun, I am thinking of making a flanders red ale using the jugs. The plan is to make 5 gallons using ECY 02. After a month or so, rack into one of the jugs and use the cake to make another batch which will eventually go into the second jug. Eventually, blend the two into the third jug, possibly with some fruit.

So my q: how would you treat the jugs?

a. do nothing, transfer right on top of the wine/brandy dregs
b. swish some water and/or grappa around in there
c. attempt to sanitize them somehow (starsan etc)
d. not do this because it's a dumb idea and likely to end with vinegar at best, and more likely something gross

IMG_20140504_093938:nopm:.jpg

If it smells fine, I wouldn't worry about bacteria in there. That said, if the inside is glazed I don't see any reason not to give them a wash and sanitize and use them like fermenters. Aside from the cleanup...

If they aren't glazed inside I wouldn't use them due to possible future bacteria. If they are glaZed I would just clean and sanitize.

They aren't gonna hold any flavor if they are glazed

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I agree with sanitizing. If you want to try using the old wine for flavor, taste it first. Then reserve it to add later. Or experiment by making two batches, one in a clean jug, one with wine in it. Let us know.

So I decided to go with sanitizing. I let it sit for 12hrs full of starsan. The plan is to use the method outlined in this recipe:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f72/landers-fred-241728/

My version is more Oud Bruin than Flanders Red, but I plan to make another 5 gallons in ~4 months to pitch on this batch's yeast cake. I'm using ECY 02 and the dregs from an Oude Tart. Will update this thread as the beer develops.

So I decided to go with sanitizing. I let it sit for 12hrs full of starsan. The plan is to use the method outlined in this recipe:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f72/landers-fred-241728/

My version is more Oud Bruin than Flanders Red, but I plan to make another 5 gallons in ~4 months to pitch on this batch's yeast cake. I'm using ECY 02 and the dregs from an Oude Tart. Will update this thread as the beer develops.

I'd go w/ a good soak w/ B-Brite first to try and clean out any particulates that could infect your wort then rinse thoroughly and do the StarSan soak. Cleansing & sanitizing will hopefully eliminate anything that could give you problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Welcome aboard El'Duderino!
The originator of this thread hasn't been back. Maybe the wine was lethal? :)
I hope someone else chimes in with their experience. Otherwise I suggest you start your own thread.
Good luck, keep us posted.

Back