Barrel brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLamb

Reaction score
Hey I got my hands in a local distillery's bourbon barrel and am planning to brew an IPA in it. Anything I Gould be aware of going into this attempt?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Are you certain IPA and bourbon is a combo you want?

The above comment seems smart assed, but he has a point.

There is so much you need to be aware of. I would pour through the internet reading everything you can find on prepping and fermenting in the barrel.

Come back with very specific questions after you spend some quality time with Google.

yeah i wasn't trying to seem harsh, just the smart ass in me as well. But i agree, without asking specific questions, we have no idea what you're actually planning on doing...i.e. fermenting in the barrel, 2ndary, etc.

+1 to the above the search function would help with this one

I was being a smart ass, but also honest.

Not sure where you are at in your brewing career, but a barrel project(especially full sized) is not for the faint of heart. There are a ton of things to consider, and scale issues to overcome. This is especially true of a non sour barrel project. Founders did a bourbon barrel aged IPA(doom). If its a full sized barrel, and you are planning on consuming all the beer, there are likely better choices than IPA(a beer that needs to be consumed fresh)...just ask yourself how long it will take you to consume ~53 gallons of DIPA. I personally wouldn't age a regular strength IPA in a barrel, it prolly doesn't have the ABV to help preserve and protect against oxidation.

There is a lot that can go wrong with barrels, some of which is outside of your control, so I would be sure you are ready for the possibility of investing a lot of time, energy and money into a project that could fail. I would also do a lot of research and go through the steps to set yourself up for the best possible chance for success.

Here are some primers on the topic, information isn't exactly plentiful about the topic, but search around

http://byo.com/equipment/item/68-a-barrel-of-fun

http://byo.com/stories/item/1274-professional-barrel-aging

Also realize that barrels other than full size are a special(and IMO poor choice) because of increased O2 transfer rates and generally the effects of increased surface area to volume of beer ratio.

FWIW I have 2 full size wine barrels full of sour beer, and a full size Jack Daniels barrel about to be filled with a big stout/porter.

Good luck.

We could bombard you with info and still not get to what you need to know.

I would love a sour barrel project, but have decided I'm not ready due to lack of temp control for a full sized barrel.

If you decide to do it, I would try to find a partner and look into a "solera".
Depending on what you want to put in there and the size of the barrel, you may want to get it in and out pretty quickly. You will need to keep it full at all times.

Quite the undertaking, and equally as awesome. Just be well prepared.

All the comments were very benefitting and actually gave me all the information I needed. Thanks for spending the time to reply.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back