Problems Scaling Up AG, Can't Beat 1.070

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arrheinous

Reaction score
I've just done my eighth all-grain batch last weekend (brewing extract and all-grain for two years total). I batch sparge - usually with a 1.25qt/# grist ratio (no less than 4 gallons total though) and splitting up the sparging into two quick sparges. The mash tun is a Coleman Extreme with a 12" bazooka screen. Typically I expect a boil-off of 1 gallon to get me down to a 5 gallon batch (my rate is more like 1.3/hr after this last batch).

Been having problems getting above 1.070 as I've been playing around with my set-up and still learning a bunch of things about mashing/sparging.

To address this problem, I went through all my brew data to figure out how much more grain I need to add to account for my typical efficiencies for a given target OG.

In a lot of the threads/articles on batch sparging, I read about a drop in efficiency at higher attempted gravities. The data here follows that pretty well and hopefully this gives some insight for others with a similar problem.

---

Here are my numbers up front. "Efficiency" is calculated by OG at the fermenter divided by the potential SG of the grains given 100% efficiency.

Code:
Brew#	Reciped Based On…		Target 	#Grain	My OG	Eff (%)	Source

1	Bragot (Radical Brewing)	1.090	20	1.064	53	Radical Brewing, Randy Mosher
2	Scotch Ale (Walker)		1.056	11.19	1.060	80	https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f65/walkers-gruagach-80-a-148886/
3	Red Rye APA (cweston)		1.051	11.38	1.052	76	https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/red-rye-ale-25929/
4	Belgian Tripel (LHBS)*		1.070	12.25	1.047	50	http://www.grapeandgranary.com/agrecpdf/ag80.pdf
5	Anchor Steam Clone (Yooper)	1.057	11.5	1.052	68	https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f63/california-common-anchor-steam-clone-extract-ag-54301/
6	Deception Cream Stout(NCBeernut)1.062	10.75	1.048	58	https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/deception-cream-stout-141483/
7	Foreign Extra Stout (BYO)	1.074	15.75	1.064	65	http://byo.com/stories/item/2270-foreign-extra-stout
8	Imperial Irish Red (jstuts2260)	1.083	15	1.063	57	https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/imperial-irish-red-christmas-ale-272931/

Outliers:
4 (Tripel) - First time at lower temperature mashing (tripel), didn't mash for long enough
6 (Cream Stout) - The mash tun just wasn't flowing properly and backed up, I blame it on the wheat/oat :D but should have used rice hulls :(

The plot that says the most is "efficiency vs. target OG". This follows a pretty decent trend (the 50% at 1.070 is from not mashing a tripel long enough):
3yKLtN4.png

So for batch spargers with average efficiencies, you need to make some considerations before jumping into a bigger beer with a recipe set at 75%.

If I selfishly scrub out the two outliers then the trend fits better. From here on out I'll exclude the tripel and cream stout trials which had obvious problems.
o52hQCD.png

Going from 80% at 1.050 to 55% at 1.090 means a drop of 0.375% / 0.001 sg.

Efficiency is said to vary with OG due to the amount of grains and water used in the mash paired with the limited volumes of wort you want to collect. This looks pretty true even with the six trials left.
NNCnJog.png

Doubling the grain from ~10# to 20# seems to drop the efficiency from 75% to 50%. Twice the grain cuts efficiency by 1/3?

I was then curious if grains and OG really had that much relationship to one another - given the lesser contributions of kilned grains that some recipes rely heavily on. But the amount of grains mashed factors in pretty well to OG.
GaMZ1Zi.png

About 10# of grain in the recipe adds something like 0.045 to the target OG. But most of this is coming from pale malt.

Looking at the other side of the coin, my OG vs. mashed grains shows a different picture. It looks like the OG isn't really rising after 13# or so of grain in the mash tun.
NnVysIS.png

This plateau seems to signify some limit to conversion or lautering at higher amounts of grain in the tun in my process.

My bottom-line comes out to this plot here. To hit a given target OG I need to start from a higher OG and let the lower efficiencies bring it down into the desired range.
b7lb0YU.png

But even at the upper ranges I haven't been able to beat 1.070 OG even with the bragot attempt. 1.070 falls in at around 13# of grain which is where my OG vs. grains mashed is plateauing. My system isn't making effective use of anything over 13# of grain.

I haven't tested mash completion with iodine nor have I tested mash pH to make sure I'm within the right range - I'll have those test materials for the next batch.

It doesn't look like I have a high pH problem because the lower gravity batches come out near 80% efficiency even with a lack of darker malts to buffer the pH toward the right range. The higher gravity beers have had darker malts which can contribute more acids so it may be possible my mash pH is too low? My city water report gives an alkalinity of 78 and a pH near 7.5.

Temperature drop in the cooler and mixing could be a factor but I'm pretty rigorous about mashing in and checking to make sure the temperature is reading correctly at various locations in the tun.

Anyway, hopefully this data gives people some points for analyzing their own efficiencies and scheming to scale up into higher gravity beers (YMMV). If anyone else has these sorts of plots handy then I'd like to take a look.

I batch sparge and consistently hit 80% efficiency and know others that do well with it also. Two things that weren't mentioned:
1. Grain crush-are you milling your own grain? If not you should for complete control. When I see efficiencies all over the board like this I assume inconsistent milling perhaps by the LHBS?
2. Stirring the mash halfway and stirring like a banshee before first runnings and before sparging, like really, really stirring like mad to knock all the sugars loose.
3. How are your pre-boil gravities?
4. Are you meeting all your proper volumes?

Temp drop in your cooler would effect your final gravity more than anything else for higher attenuation. Looks like you are already investigating pH and water so that's good too:)

The LHBS is crushing the grains for now. With batch sparging it does come down to crush. Been looking into Barley Crusher vs. Monster Mill or any third-party options. Sometimes I've asked for a double crush but I didn't see any jump in efficiency (usually 65% for the 1.060 type brews).

I haven't stirred the mash halfway through and not before first runnings - that's something I'll start for next time. Sparging is always stirred though. Perhaps I could allow for longer lautering times as maybe not all of the liquid is draining before I move on to the next steps.

I wasn't consistent on taking bre-boil gravities until I got a refractometer but never wrote them down. The extrapolations from pre-boil volume to final volume always seemed like I was pretty set to hit the target OG from what I can recall.

The proper volumes is a good point - I took a break for a while and started back up when the air started getting drier out here. Now my boil-off rate is 1.33 gal/hr with a good rolling boil. I'd been planning for only 0.75 gal/hr, ending up with 4 gal post-boil and diluting back to 5 gallons with distilled water. OGs recorded for those two brews (6 and 7) account for this. So I can collected 6.5 gallons pre-boil now and concentrate that down to 5 gallons as opposed to 5.5 down to 5 I thought I needed.

Really need to start doing iodine tests to see if the mash is fully converted - that'd be the place to start. I typically mash at 152 to 154 with thee cooler is moderately pre-heated by a gallon of 120F tap water.

Thanks for bringing up some extra points to look into! It will probably come down to insufficient grain crush, low mash pH, or using too little pre-boil volume. A mill will probably be worth the plunge and get me on the road to bulk buys. What mill are you using?

I would recommend not getting the Barley Crusher. Mine skips all the time. I have to open it up for the first run, then set it at .035. Kinda a pain but it works.

I get consistent 83% efficiency with almost all my beers. I did a RIS with og 1.115 and had a 75% efficiency. My tun dead space is .33 gallons and I batch sparge in three steps.

I didn't see what your dead space was. Until I decreased my dead space I was getting crappy efficiency.

Dead space has been pretty minimal. Until the last brew I had the 1/2" coupling (two female ends) connecting the bulkhead to the bazooka screen so that sticks a bit of the way into the tun. Not sure what that volume left behind is but I can go and check. The cooler also has the recessed spout that puts it a bit below the bottom (self draining?)

(Edit: Found a picture)
jAiSY8l.jpg

With the latest brew I used a length of PEX tubing crammed into the bulkhead with holes drilled throughout. It fell out and I had to strain the mash with a funnel/mesh before I could put it back in.

Now I'm thinking of doing away with the screen and the coupling so it's just the nut on the bulkhead and then bagging the grain in one or two large mesh bags. That'd make clean-up a lot easier too. Paddling might be more difficult but it could also allow for even finer crushes. Some talk about it here.

I took apart a SS sink strainer so now I have a 6" x 6" piece of steel mesh to play around with. At my desk now I'm looking at a tea strainer ball - maybe I can weld half of it to the nut that's sealing against the side of the cooler.

The LHBS is crushing the grains for now. With batch sparging it does come down to crush. Been looking into Barley Crusher vs. Monster Mill or any third-party options. Sometimes I've asked for a double crush but I didn't see any jump in efficiency (usually 65% for the 1.060 type brews).
I have a barley crusher with the 15lb hopper and it works very well set at .037mm. I've had it going on 5 years and no issues and affordable

I haven't stirred the mash halfway through and not before first runnings - that's something I'll start for next time. Sparging is always stirred though. Perhaps I could allow for longer lautering times as maybe not all of the liquid is draining before I move on to the next steps.
I find that stirring at half of the mash is very beneficial. Also, before collecting first runnings stir the mash vigorously, vorleuf and then drain as fast as it will flow. Once you add sparge water stir like hell again, vorleuf and drain

I wasn't consistent on taking bre-boil gravities until I got a refractometer but never wrote them down. The extrapolations from pre-boil volume to final volume always seemed like I was pretty set to hit the target OG from what I can recall.
With today's well modified grains you should not be having conversion problems with a 60 minute mash. Pre-boil gravities help you pin down issues with efficiency, conversion and evaluation of crush, etc so its a good habit to get into

The proper volumes is a good point - I took a break for a while and started back up when the air started getting drier out here. Now my boil-off rate is 1.33 gal/hr with a good rolling boil. I'd been planning for only 0.75 gal/hr, ending up with 4 gal post-boil and diluting back to 5 gallons with distilled water. OGs recorded for those two brews (6 and 7) account for this. So I can collected 6.5 gallons pre-boil now and concentrate that down to 5 gallons as opposed to 5.5 down to 5 I thought I needed.
Definitely need to pin down your volumes, if you have been topping off you have been diluting your beer and hence, getting lower than expected gravities. It takes a few batches to dial this in with losses, etc

Really need to start doing iodine tests to see if the mash is fully converted - that'd be the place to start. I typically mash at 152 to 154 with thee cooler is moderately pre-heated by a gallon of 120F tap water.
Make sure all your measuring devices are properly calibrated from refractometer, hydrometer and thermometer to ensure all your numbers are true

Thanks for bringing up some extra points to look into! It will probably come down to insufficient grain crush, low mash pH, or using too little pre-boil volume. A mill will probably be worth the plunge and get me on the road to bulk buys. What mill are you using?

Hope this all helps, cheers!:mug:

The process of batch sparging makes high gravity efficiency very difficult. While grain crush has a HUGE impact on AG brewing, high gravity beers really benefit from a fly-sparge to rinse all the sugars out of the grains as opposed to batch-sparging hoping that we can stir enough to get those sugars out of the grains and into the limited amount of water we are working with. Another option is to mash/sparge with a higher volume of water and boil longer, but fly-sparging on high gravity beers will give you a very significant efficiency bump.

The process of batch sparging makes high gravity efficiency very difficult. While grain crush has a HUGE impact on AG brewing, high gravity beers really benefit from a fly-sparge to rinse all the sugars out of the grains as opposed to batch-sparging hoping that we can stir enough to get those sugars out of the grains and into the limited amount of water we are working with. Another option is to mash/sparge with a higher volume of water and boil longer, but fly-sparging on high gravity beers will give you a very significant efficiency bump.

I find that the stirring plays a huge part in how efficient one can batch sparge. I brew big beers as well that push 1.090+ and still get my predicted 80% across the board without having to adjust the recipe to do so, of course YMMV:mug:

Besides what is mentioned above, try increasing your water to grist ratio. Something like 1.5qts/# might help. Perhaps Denny will chime in here about batch vs. fly sparging, but I doubt that is your major problem. What are your gravities when you are sparging the second time? Are you leaving a lot of sugar in the grain bed that could still be extracted? Perhaps a third sparge to rinse out the last little bit if your second runnings are still high in gravity?

I find that the stirring plays a huge part in how efficient one can batch sparge. I brew big beers as well that push 1.090+ and still get my predicted 80% across the board without having to adjust the recipe to do so, of course YMMV:mug:

I'm not saying it can't be done and everybody's rig will get different results. For me, and many others I know, it's easier to get a high extract efficiency on high o.g. beers fly sparging instead of batch sparging was the point I was trying to make. I also agree with trying a higher water to grist ratio if you have room in your mash tun.

I haven't checked out the SG of the individual runnings but I really should have. Does the 1.020/tannin rule apply to batch sparging as well?

The refractometer and hydrometer read very close to one another but haven't been as rigorously calibrated as the thermometers. I know now that the ATC on the refractometer isn't a cure-all but even across several seasons it's read within a few points of the hydrometer and that's after correcting for sample temp. I can make up a couple stock solutions of sugar to check the accuracy.

As far as fly vs. batch, I've read up on the advantages and disadvantages of both systems. Fly sparging is the more efficient process but for me the simplicity and lesser time of batch sparging works. I was a hold-out for AG... And then a plate chiller / Chugger pump... I'll probably be doing fly sparging soon enough just to see what it's like.

A Cereal Killer would be very affordable for me right now and leave enough to pick up an Ultraship scale as well. Just bought the tincture of iodine (just to be super sure it's not my water acting up despite well-modified grains). SWMBO wants to buy the mill for me now so I guess I won't get to my next batch until after the New Year.

As far as grist ratio, I can raise it to 1.5 but I've sort of tried that: The temperature was too high on the latest brew so I had to add cold water and the grist ratio came out to be more like 1.4. Pre-boil volume was 7 gallons and after a 90 minute boil I got 5 gallons as expected because I then figured my boil-off ratio was way higher than what I initially thought it was. That came out to be 57% efficiency.

For my system right now, to get a 5 gallon batch of any recipe my pre-boil volumes can be 6.5 gal (60 minute boil), 7 gal (90 minute boil), or 7.5 gal (120 minute boil). If I really open the throttle on the burner maybe I can go from 1.3gal/hr to 1.5.

Hell, for all I really know I'm getting 80% and my LHBS has their thumb on the scale or is doing something when they go to mill it. I've never actually seen the mill. Could just be a neighbor kid with a hammer. :cross:

Im in the same boat, suffering a decrease in efficiency on my bigger beers. I've been wondering if using more sparge water and a longer boil to get rid of it would help.....With so much water dedicated to the mash I usually end up doing a single sparge on the big beers because splitting it up would be so thick I can hardly stir it. I don't know, just tossing an idea around.

Greater volumes should help as long as that extra volume is doing something. If sugar isn't getting into the sparge water then it probably isn't worth the time/trouble to add it?

My default mash in formula has been 1.25qt/gal but no less than 4 gallons total. This actually comes out to be 1.33 for 12# of grain. So that's also helping out the efficiency on my lower end beers.

Been reading a bit of the theoretical modeling work that was done on batch sparging by Kaiser, I think. I might move to single sparge which means I could do higher grist ratios at mash in where maybe the water can do more good early on.

Is it better to have more water in mash in or sparging? Where's the optimal split for that for a given pre-boil volume? Kaiser's work says its best at near 50-50 mash in volume and sparge volume.

IME it's best to around that 50-50 mark or at least a little more sparge than mash in. This ensures you get good rinsing. If your sparge volume is too low you can lose efficiency from leaving sugars behind

IME it's best to around that 50-50 mark or at least a little more sparge than mash in. This ensures you get good rinsing. If your sparge volume is too low you can lose efficiency from leaving sugars behind

Exactly this. Too little sparge water and you aren't going to be able to extract as much residual sugar from the grains

And then as far as the number of spargings, it looks like one has a good jump in efficiency from none at all but two doesn't make a huge difference.

From chemistry/engineering: extracting something multiple separate times is better than one large-scale extraction of equal volume. But there's diminishing returns on what you get each time if you want to extract everything. I think fly sparging could be seen as an 'infinite'/continuous number of batch spargings in that respect.

UPDATE: I pulled the trigger on a MM2-2.0... I want a chunk of aluminum and steel I can take with me to the grave.

50-50 eh, that's my problem I guess, when I look at my barleywine I had maybe 70-30 mash-sparge so if I increase to get more sugars and boil to compensate it should work out for the better.

Back