Prime with other types of sugar!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EzMak24

Reaction score
A couple days ago I saw someone asking about using maple sugar to prime beer or cider or something. I'm not sure all his questions were answered, but if they were this is still some good info for everyone else. I found a chart showing how much sugar is needed to prime.

Honey
1 cup for bottling
1/2 for kegging

Maple syrup
1 1/4 cup for bottling
5/8 cup fpr kegging

Molasses
1 cup for bottling
1/2 cup for kegging

Brown sugar
2/3 cup for botting
1/3 cup for kegging

Cane sugar
2/3 cup for bottling
1/3 for kegging

FYI
you can also nicely carbonate a 5 gallon batch of cider/apfelwien

with a 16 ounce can of frozen apple juice concentrate. (thawed to room temp. of course:D )

What about Karo syrup?

I have a recipe (Malzbier from Brazil) that calls for 304gr or 10.723oz of Karo syrup to prime 5 gallons. This beer is VERY sweet! (It is for my wife.... OK.)

Am I in the ballpark with this one? It is supposed to carbonate the beer AND leave a very sweet aftertaste.

This is a pretty bad reference, in my opinion. First, like hopsalot mentioned, there are no specific volumes given. Different beer styles require different levels of carbonation - you're not going to use the same for a Mild as a Saison.

Second, everything is given by volume, which not reproducible. When you prime, you should be priming by weight of sugar, so that you receive exactly what you want to set out to do. Try here for a start: The Beer Recipator - Carbonation

Latest posts

Back