No success with Whirlfloc....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rev2010

Reaction score
I've tried whirlfoc a few times and had stopped using it because I never saw any difference. I had even brewed the same beer with and without whirlfoc and didn't see any difference as well. Recently I did an English Ale, something like Fuller's London Pride, and decided to try it once more. But yet again I have chill haze and even the highly flocculant Wyeast 1968 is making its way into the glass which usually isn't a problem. This is also after the beer has been in the fridge for several days. I do a nice rolling boil and I chill quickly, typically within 11 minutes and in winter as fast as 8 minutes. What could be the reasons I'm seeing not the slightest bit of difference between using whirlfloc or not? I've also done 5 minute end of boil additions lately. I used to do 15 but read many say the actual manufacturer says 5, but there's been no change. Oh, and my mash pH is typically 5.4-5.6.

Rev.

What are you doing in transferring your wort from your kettle to fermenter?

I use whirlfloc, then after cooling get a good whirlpool going (helps with aeration as well) and let it sit for 15 minutes. Then I siphon from the kettle into the fermenter, leaving the coalesced trub behind. Remember that's what the whirlfloc is going to do - grab onto proteins and sink them to the bottom.

I only whirlpool with the immersion chiller. I then drain from my Blichmann kettle into my fermenter using a strainer to remove trub. Interestingly, with this English Ale I took note that nearly everything in the kettle went into the fermenter. I literally had almost no trub in the kettle. But, other times times I had left over trub in the kettle and it was no different.

Rev.

Whirlfloc works great for me. When using my wort chiller I can see the break material separating itself and sinking to the bottom. I currently still dump the entire kettle into the fermenter, but all the break still sinks to the bottom in a few hours.

Back