How much homebrew do you gift away?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

high5apparatus

Reaction score
I've been brewing like crazy and I very freely give away mixed six-packs to friends and family, but my wife had a request: She was telling a doctor she works for about my hobby to which he replied that he doesn't like home brew. My wife's response was to ask me to give him some of my beer to try. I reluctantly gave up a mixed 4-pack (I had a Sam Smith's 4-pack holder handy) with the thought of why should I waste my precious beer on someone who doesn't want to try it?

I guess I'm an ambassador for the craft/hobby and I should be excited about changing minds, but that is 4 less beers for me.

Actually gift away I'd say around 20% of the batch. If we are including friends coming over and drinking it with me then the percentage rises rather quickly.

EDIT: I currently only brew 5gal batches do that's just a little over a 6pk

Much less than before I started kegging. They're still welcome to it at my house, though!

I did get a growler filler, though. If I don't mind cleaning up the mess, that will make it easier going from tap to bottle.

As much as I can....sadly most of my beer friends brew and we always have a glut of beers. I'd actually welcome a mooch of a beer friend.

As you can see in my sig I have a nice pipeline and am always looking for my next brewday.

I always share with friends and family roughly 25% to 30% of each batch. Friends always bring by empties and share commercial beers with me, and my family enjoys sharing in my hobby.

It's no different than bringing cookies/desert over to a party, or a dish to share at a pot luck.

5 gallon batches - On average
6-10 bottles might go to competitions
6-12 are given away
12 are probably drank by others at my house

So, I would say "other people" drink at least half of my beer.

My wife also "gives away" my beer and will say "so-and-so" would like to try it...... She lets me get whatever I want for brewing and loves that I make beer..... Who am I to argue. Plus, there have been a number of folks who ended up going on and starting to brew themselves.

I brew a lot though - so I don't mind giving it away. If I was more limited on how often I could brew, I would not want to short myself.

I give about 50% on the conservative side. I actually enjoy seeing others appreciate the beer more than I do drinking it. I don't brew for the $ savings either. To be honest I enjoy the process of making the beer even more than I do drinking it.

Between competitions, giving it away, and especially the monthly poker night (which I always host, since the beer is here), I'd say 40-50% is drunk by others. I see it as freeing up keg/carboy space to brew more!

Probably only 10% on average. I did brew 16 gallons for my brother's wedding last summer and am taking a 24 case of assorted IPA and stouts to a cousin's bachelor party tonight though!

My wife usually has 3-4 of my beers a week and I usually drink about 10-12 a week so we go through them.

I brew a lot, probably more than I can (at least more than I should) drink. That's ok, though, because I end up giving about a third away, more like half around big holidays. That's cool. Everybody likes free beer! Life is too short to be stingy with your brew.

Give? or "share" By share I mean an event (party, visit friends, whatever you do etc) where I'm present. Give, probalby 6 or so bottles per batch, maybe 10. Share? well if there is somewhere I go usually a 6pack per visit with friends

It depends on the beer. If it's a pale ale I brewed to build up yeast count for a RIS or BW, then yeah, maybe 75% gets gifted out. I also will brew for people for special occasions as gifts: weddings, birthdays, anniversary parties, etc. I also don't drink a lot of volume, so if I make a 5 gallon batch of DIPA, I'll drink 12 or so bottles of it myself, but I'll bring a 6-pack to give away to almost anyone that will replace the bottles. I just don't like the idea of a beer like that aging and not being appreciated.

However, beers that take a long time to ferment and age or sour ales that include expensive ingredients like wine grapes are carefully meted out. I made 5 gallons of lambic with a lug of Syrah grapes, I think the grapes were about $50 and it took almost 2 and half years in fermentation for the beer to finish, so those 2 cases are highly prized. Likewise, a 2 year old Imperial Stout that is now aged to perfection is something that I don't give away, but I'll open to share with friends that will appreciate it. The neighbor that will drink anything with alcohol in it or the guy that is already drunk at the party won't be getting any.

I keg my beer. Usually I'll bottle anywhere from 8-12 bombers to give away to friends or enter in competition. I like giving my beer away, and if I fill the whole keg I usually get bored with 5 gallons of the same beer after a while

For me it really depends on the beer. Every once and a while i make certain beers myself, because its something I know I want to be able to drink when I want a beer. So now and again I brew a batch as a special treat for me. Other beers/cider I brew to drink and share with whoever.
As for what the OP mentioned about not wanting to give it to the guy cause because he claims he doesn't like homebrew. Well that guy probably only says that because the only homebrew he's tried sucked. That or he actually believes that Buffalo Wild Wings commercial.

l.mine%20mine%20mine.jpg

Probably varies 25-50% depending on the time of year. Holidays it's above 50% and the other bump comes when I need keg space--then we have all our friends over & it's open taps until the beer's gone. Otherwise, it's 3 growlers/month for Homebrew club meetings, taking growlers to friends' houses for dinner, a keg/month for my father-in-law, etc.

I won't go so far as to say I like brewing better than drinking b/c I looooove beer. It's just that I really enjoy sharing my beer, getting feedback on making it better, and seeing my friends and family really enjoy what I make. Plus, my wife is proud of my beer--and that makes me proud.

Way way more than I drink for sure. Heck if I drank half the beer I brewed I would be on a non ending bender. And like some said here life is to short to be stingy with your beer

About 50%. I brew to much to drink it all my self. Most goes to friends who drink craft beers, and give me feed back, good and bad so that helps.

hbt_ftp_image.gif

Back