Some observations on using servomyces.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redweasel

Reaction score
White Labs makes this product and I have used it in my last 3 brews. I must say this stuff rocks! I've been getting a much faster and more vigorous fermentation. The big thing is that all 3 brews final gravity dropped 2 points lower than expected. Anyone else use this with similar results?

I have noticed that my fermentations have taken off much faster with the use of Servomyces. I use it in my lagers and ales with the exception of my Belgian brews.

As far as a lower terminal gravit goes my terminal gravities have remained pretty much on target for me with the use of this product.

Forgive me, but Servomyces is just a yeast nutrient that is mostly dead yeast cells, correct? I can't remember if that was right off the top o' me head.

I think you are correct but they also add zinc I believe. Here is the quote off the White Labs website.

Servomyces Yeast Nutrient
Servomyces is a nutritional yeast supplement (GMO free) that was originally developed for German brewers by Weihenstephan and the Munich University. It conforms to the restrictions of Reinheitsgebot. Servomyces enables any yeast strain's ability to incorporate essential nutrients into its cellular structure. Tested in breweries around the world, it has been proven to:

* Cut down fermentation time
* Increase flocculation
* Greatly reduce harsh sulfur notes
* Improve the health and viability of yeast
* Reduce levels of diacetyl at the end of primary fermentation
* Produce faster, more complete attenuations
* Increase yeast production for a better harvest
* Improve the quality of the finished product

Forgive me, but Servomyces is just a yeast nutrient that is mostly dead yeast cells, correct? I can't remember if that was right off the top o' me head.

Also from the White Labs site:

Q: What is Servomyces?
Servo is yeast and is propagated in a micronutrient rich environment then, and is killed off prior to packaging. Boiling incorporates the Servo into the wort. The benefit of Servo is that micronutrients, e.g. zinc, are able to pass through its cell walls to your live yeast cell, thereby delivering the micronutrients without toxicity. Because this system is so effective in eliminating autolysis and improving the health of your yeast, it should be used in every batch.

I ordered some of this stuff from NB today. I'm looking forward to seeing what impact it will have on the fermentation process.

FWIW, I've been getting equally excellent results with the much cheaper Wyeast nutrient. It's not RHG-compliant, but neither is 99% of homebrewed beer.

why not your Belgians?

how different is Fermaid K?

Thanks.
Fermaid K is designed to be added in increments after pitching in order to replenish what the yeast have consumed. This is very helpful in high gravity beers but is specifically designed for nutrient low wine/mead must.

I love what servo does for my beers but I don't love the price of it. I found myself to be just as happy using the Wyeast nutrient and prefer it's packaging to the capsules.

Fermaid K is designed to be added in increments after pitching in order to replenish what the yeast have consumed. This is very helpful in high gravity beers but is specifically designed for nutrient low wine/mead must.

appreciate the reply, Tonedef...

any idea on the proper usage/dosage of Fermaid for high gravity brews? I have a packet of it, but no directions.

Thanks!

appreciate the reply, Tonedef...

any idea on the proper usage/dosage of Fermaid for high gravity brews? I have a packet of it, but no directions.

Thanks!
Lallemand said:
It is best to add FERMAID® K over two additions. The first addition is made at the end of the lag phase (6 to 12 hours after yeast inoculation) and the second addition is made around 1/3 sugar depletion (the end of exponential growth and the beginning of the stationary phase).
The appropriate dosage for each addition is 2.2 grams for a 5 gal batch, which is about 1/2 tsp if you don't have a gram scale. I also aerate with the first addition since the yeast are running low on O2 by then.

I have a question on using The Servo and Yeast nutrients..It states that they can be used to getther but is it necessary??

I have a question on using The Servo and Yeast nutrients..It states that they can be used to getther but is it necessary??

Back