Salt in my beer - lots of it. Any hope?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig311

Reaction score
Ok, without going into too much detail... I ended up with about 2 cups of salt in my primary bucket full of fermented pale ale!

The beer had been in there for 4 weeks (and fully fermented) before the salt was "accidentally" dumped in and covered again. Since then, it's been about another week and a half and hasn't been opened/moved since.

The beer smells great through the airlock! Any chance the salt may have settled so that I can rack right off of it? Or is it most likely a lost cause? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

It doesnt look good for your beer, reminds me of the time my friend was making gravy on thx giving and added powered sugar instead of flour to thicken it.

Tasted it and it's salty. Aside from the salt it tastes great and is crystal clear! Damn!! Looks like I'm going to have to dump for the first time.

Ok, without going into too much detail... I ended up with about 2 cups of salt in my primary bucket full of fermented pale ale!

The beer had been in there for 4 weeks (and fully fermented) before the salt was "accidentally" dumped in and covered again. Since then, it's been about another week and a half and hasn't been opened/moved since.

The beer smells great through the airlock! Any chance the salt may have settled so that I can rack right off of it? Or is it most likely a lost cause? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

I think if we can help at all we need to here the story behind this:D

Too salty to enjoy? Maybe throw a bunch of herbs or something in there and make something interesting.

You could always save it and use it to cook! Beer brats, chili, marinades, sauces, etc.

You could always save it and use it to cook! Beer brats, chili, marinades, sauces, etc.

Now that's an idea. I suppose I wouldn't go through the trouble of bottling/carbonating. How would you go about storing the 5 gallons?

As for the "whole story"... Let's just say that it wasn't me who poured it in there, nor was it any kind of mistake! :D

Too salty to enjoy? Maybe throw a bunch of herbs or something in there and make something interesting.

Excellent point. If you enjoy smoked fish, it would make a killer brine!

Now that's an idea. I suppose I wouldn't go through the trouble of bottling/carbonating. How would you go about storing the 5 gallons?

As for the "whole story"... Let's just say that it wasn't me who poured it in there, nor was it any kind of mistake! :D

you might not be able to bottle carb this, the salt may have killed all of your yeast and there might not be any left to carbonate the batch. If it tastes salty to you, it is probably deadly salty to your good friends the yeast.

This is an excellent idea. I would even brine a chicken/turkey in it as well - the cooking possibilities are endless!

the cooking idea is a great one most cooking wines have salt added to them and they're still great for cooking. I hesitate to mention this but water can be desalinated by distillation so...

I'm definitely going to go with the cooking suggestions. Only trick is how to store all of it. Can I just rack it into 2 liter bottles? Would they need to be refrigerated?

To fix this situation I would start off by mixing a little with her shampoo, or if she wears contacts possibly her contact solution.

Ha! Yes, I suppose I deserved it. At least she felt bad and told me before I went through the trouble of bottling it all. That would have REALLY sucked.

Dude, unless you got caught tapping her sister I can't see what reason she could have to mess with your beer. Although it would have been amusing on our end when you posted in a few weeks trying to have us diagnose the salty flavor in your beer.

Ok. Let's just say that what I did to deserve this had a lot to do with me drinking. Hence the ruined beer... She really isn't that mean.

Dude, unless you got caught tapping her sister I can't see what reason she could have to mess with your beer. Although it would have been amusing on our end when you posted in a few weeks trying to have us diagnose the salty flavor in your beer.

Ok. Let's just say that what I did to deserve this had a lot to do with me drinking. Hence the ruined beer... She really isn't that mean.

Ahha! so you got drunk and tapped her sister.:ban:

Another vote here for using it to cook with, and telling us the story on how you tapped that ass.

distill it, the salt would be left behind after the alcohol and water evaporate

probably would loose some other flavors but would be a cool experiment if you had access to the equipment :p

another vote for saving it for cooking and for the rest of the story!

As has been said before, if you bottle, you probably wont be able to carb, but what does that matter if your just cooking with it?:mug:

Back