My wonderful Sunday Brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

springer

Reaction score
I started my brew day with a sense off joy. Nice sunny day little warm not bad. Just a nice June day.

Get my MLT cooler all set up on the 4 ft step latter. Heat my mash water and preheat the Tun . Little over what I was shooting for a little ice and it hits 175* add my grains and perfect 152*. Time for a beer I go inside and sit down to a little bratwurst and kraut. Next thing I know thunder lightning and wind - Now I am all set up in the driveway I run out find my tun on the ground and some water coming out. I hastily pick it up and burn my hand not so bad though. Have no idea how much water I lost as it’s pouring out 10% chance of a shower my but. I let it sit 75 minutes and I drain, nice and clear no grains but only get about 2 of the 4 gallons out. I have 4 gallons at spurge temps so I split them and pour the first into my keggle. My wife then says, "Why is there water running out the valve?" damn lose another 1/2 gallon. I ended up doing a 3rd batch sparge and at least it was at 1.013. But my 6.5 in the keggle were only 1.035ish. So I do my boil and it comes to 1.040ish with 5.5 gallons . So I took some wort and added DME by this time I was so pissed I just dumped a scientific amount in (I guessed) and did a short boil.

All this time I had the chiller going on the rest. Get everything into the conical and take a sample from the bottom valve... 1.096 WTF! .... OOPPS forgot to stir it as I added the stronger wort first ...

OG was to be 1.050-1.056 I hit 1.060. I pitched a 2 liter starter at 60* and it was active in 1 and 1/2 hours and yesterday was blowing out the airlock.

I would drink it! probably won't be what you intended but it is drinkable. What will you do if it turns out to be the best beer you have ever had?

Whoooo what a brew day. I have not had that much fun ever. That was an excellent save too.

Monday I had some blow off the airlock was plugged and the conical was hissing. Tried to make a blow off with another 3 piece airlock and some tubing from the racking cane. Even with the bottom of the airlock cut off it kept plugging I ended up drilling out the stopper and pushing some 1/2 soft copper tubeing in. Works great

Well its just about down to a glug every 30 seconds or so I took a reading this morning its 1.011 so it dropped 49 points in less than 60 hours. Guess thats why I had a blow off.Sample was very tasty and surprisingly clear for a Red Ale.

I had a problem keeping the conicle temps down the ambient temp is 65 but the beer hit a high of 74* on Monday. I managed to cool it to 68 in a few hours with Ice in bags hung to the conical and a wet towel ,its running at about 66 now with no ice or towel.Used White labs WLP004 with a 32 oz starter it pitched at 60* at 8pm by 9:30pm it was active , ideal fermentation temp is 65-68* so it was over for a few hours

I would drink it! probably won't be what you intended but it is drinkable. What will you do if it turns out to be the best beer you have ever had?

Ohh I will drink but it's actually for SWMBO as she loves the last batch I did I hope it does turn out to be the best...

Whoooo what a brew day. I have not had that much fun ever. That was an excellent save too.

I always seem to have more fun than most on brew days ... Maybe I should wait till after the brewing is done before having a few pints of homebrew...

Naaa. that aint gunna happen

Been 18 days so I took 2 samples 3 days apart to see if it was done and they were both at 1.010 just about what I wanted . I took both samples and put them in the fridge in a mason jar and tasted it last night.... Damn its good even flat. 81.66% attenuation , 6% alcohol.

After I carb it and let it age I will see if its the best beer I have brewed . Most likely it will be with no way to replicate the conditions:(.

As you said, hopefully the SWMBO will love it, just don't plan on recreating the brew process. :rockin:

I kegged it last week and had some last night,actually 5 pints but whose counting... came out great SWMBO likes it too . I am having my family over this weekend I'm sure it will be kicked in no time.

Back