Jaybird Brewery.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Jaybird, can you talk us through your brewery please?

4595-000_0551.jpg

Orfy
I just saw this for the first time. What a looser I am. Better late than never
I would be happy too if you still want to know.

My system is a 3 tier gravity system from the HLT (Top tank, 7000 Watt 240VAC digital control w/ low level shut off on the elements)
The tank that you see in the pict that is tipped over is my Mash Tun (MT). My MT dumps into a Grant. Out of the grant is where everything gets pumped to where ever in the system I want, via 3 stainless ball valves. They control the direction and the speed of the transfer.
So the flow of the system and the electrical control is easy.
I have an Asco valve from the HLT to the MT it is controlled by an electrical float switch in the MT. That switch is adjustable in its height to keep a good 2" liquor cap on my mash when sparging. I fly sparge. So when the Liquor level gets to low in the MT the valve on the HLT opens and fills the MT to my set level. When I sparge I set the speed of the sparge w/ a stainless ball valve, once the speed is set I can walk away for an hour the system takes care of itself.

The grant is also controlled by a float switch. When it fills, it turns on the pump and the pump runs for a specific time (controlled by a timed delay relay I set the time), to a specific location set by the 3 ball valves.

My boil kettle (BK) has a stainless jacket and a flu so I trap the heat that goes up the sides of the kettle. I have 1500* F insulation that separates the BK and the stainless table, so the table doesn’t get hot.

Everything on the system is mounted on a Stainless table that we got from Costco.

The system was designed so I can (1) have a life while I brew, ya know, set it and forget it. And (2) have 2 batches in the system at the same time. 1 in the MT and 1 in the BK.

It’s a fairly smart and solid system. It's all hard wired (no PLC).

I am making some changes to the system. I am installing a water filter and an Asco valve and float switch for the HLT fill, so I don't over flow my HLT (I do this often). I am also adding a timer on the HLT so I can have my mash water ready when I wake up in the morning. :D

Again sorry for the late post!
I hope I answered you completely, if not let me know. I am not the best writer:cross:
Cheers
JJ

Just saw this a couple weeks ago at the bulk grain pickup...gotta say it's a killer system. Tippy dump on the BK is awesome, and the float valve/switch in the MLT is a great feature to automate the sparge.

Digital controller for the HLT.I got this from my old supervisor at work, the digital cards in it were toasted. I had to buy 2 new cards for this controller @ $40 each. But for the PID control the 4 relay out and all the ramping that this thing is capable of $80 was well worth it. also the 4 position switch, , jog, off, manual and Sparge. The other switch is so I can turn on and off the heating elements.

inside the HLT you see 2 heating elements, a 1500 watt and a 5500 watt, a shut off float switch for the top element, a thermocouple, an analog probe, bottom drain and the 2 side drains (one for the MT and one for the BK)

My spray ball for recirculation of mash. I found this in the trash at work. Again another one of those things that my old supervisor gave me. Man I miss that guy!

Very cool pics, thank you! About that spray ball, any idea where they sell these? You mentioned maybe using this in place of a sparge arm...do you think that would work well?

Very cool pics, thank you! About that spray ball, any idea where they sell these? You mentioned maybe using this in place of a sparge arm...do you think that would work well?

This only works if there is sufficient pressure. At low pressure it just dribbles. I find them in the trash at work all the time and pass on them. I am sure I can get you one, the next time I see one in the trash I will get a scrap pass and snatch it up for you, if you like.

Man your rig is freakin' nice! I have lots of questions....

How long did it take you to put it together?

Did you run it manually, and then add on the automation?

Is there anything you'd change or do differently next time?

What does your fermentation set up look like?

Thanks!!
Steve

Man your rig is freakin' nice! I have lots of questions....

How long did it take you to put it together?

Did you run it manually, and then add on the automation?

Is there anything you'd change or do differently next time?

What does your fermentation set up look like?

Thanks!!
Steve
Steve
It took me the better part of 2 years to put it together. I was working w/ my brewing buddy and he was just very busy. I worked on the design and the flow for about 5-6 months before I even started my first cut.
I can run this in manual from start to finish if I have to, but I did all the automation stuff from the get go.
There are a few things I would change #1 being I would raise the entire platform about 10" so I could use a counterflow chiller (CFC) and dump directly into a carboy. #2 I would make my boil kettle a bottom drain. #3 I would add direct plumbing from the boil kettle to the pump back to the boil kettle, so I could use it for a whirlpool. #4 electrically I would add a bottom float switch to protect the lower 5500 watt element.
I have since added a solenoid valve for the water input to the HLT and put that on a level switch, and a momentary push button. So I can fill my HLT to 5.5 gallons in auto and if I want more water in the HLT than that, I have to be standing there pushing the button so I don't overflow the HLT again. (Yes I did that often)
I am adding a CFC and am going to pump into the carboys and see how that works out. Flow will be from the boil kettle through the CFC and into the grant, to be pumped into the carboy through the pipe that goes to the mash tun right now. All the water from the CFC will be pumped into the HLT for cleaning; I am all about water conservation, save where you can.

My fermentation is a duel stage digital temp controller on a fridge. Nothing fancy. I do also have a digital temp control on a freezer that I use for long term storage @ 36*.
Cheers
JJ

Jay I just found your thread, couple questions where did you get the float switches? Does the grant help reduce the chance of pump cavitation or does it just make a common reservoir so you don't need another valve?

I bought the float switches from Mc Master Carr part # 46515K41 $13.50 ea
I don't have a cavitations problem so I am going to say yes to that. Yes it makes for a great reservoir. I am not sure about the other valve, I use 3. 1 for the HLT. 1 for the MLT, and 1 for the BK. But I use them all out of the grant. I have looked at a lot of systems and am not sure why people don't use a grant more often. It just seems like the best of both worlds (gravity fed and single pump driven) but that’s just me.
There are a few people here locally that are designing there systems after mine, because of the ease of use and the versatility of the system. You can use it in auto and in manual. I love it! Most of all I love the "set it and forget it" type of system.
Cheers
JJ

This is the water intake valve. This is electrically controlled off a float switch in the HLT (the same switch that turns off the 1500 watt element) and I have a switch that I can turn on and off to use this function in auto. I also have a push button that I can push to fill past the float switch's 5.5 gallon set level.

This is the simple control system that I built. I haven't labeled it yet but the push button is so I can't over flow the HLT again. The second switch is for the water valve feeding into the HLT and the lower switch is for my fan that blows into the BK to control the boil over problem.
Cheers
JJ

Hey Jay!

There is a thread about stainless tables as the basis of a brew rig and I sent the the link to this thread.

It helped me alot, hopefully it'll help kungfoo36.

See the thread here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/stainless-steel-brew-stand-table-226574/

Great thread. I have built several of these things now and getting better every time! I love being able to pound in the brews (24 gallons a day) when I am working on other stuff, and so does the people that buy them from me. It was a lot of work but the design has changed very little over the years, its still fun to build em' thats for sure. The tables are available at Costco from time to time.
Cheers
Jay

This is an old thread, but has some interesting stuff. Where did the pics go?

This is an old thread, but has some interesting stuff. Where did the pics go?

There was a problem with my Vendor account years ago Steve and for me to be able to post ANY picture I had to go in a remove a CRAPLOAD of my old picts to be able to do so and these were part of the fall out. I was sad to do it but it was an issue that happened when I became a Vendor. I can re post pictures now and I am still using this brewery with little to no changes really.

Cheers
Jay

Back