Add Sugar after Fermentation Starts and Calculate the ABV?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raysmithtx

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a recipe that estimates the ABV at 4.8% but..... the recipe calls for adding of 1.75 liters of limeade after the fermentation has been going for 48-72 hours.

As a result the recipe (Beersmith) doesn't account for the added sugars that are being fermented.

The limeade is all natural with water, lime juice and sugar. The bottle says there are 840 calories in the 1.75 liter bottle.

I know the OG and the FG but don't think the OG can be used since the extra sugars aren't being accounted for.

How can calculate the ABV while accounting for the added sugars?

Thanks.

Measure the limeade SG, then do a volume weighted average to get the effective OG of the whole batch. E.g. if the gravity points of the beer is X (e.g. 50 for 1.050) and you started with 5.5 gallons (20.8 liters), and the gravity points of the limeade is Y, then your effective gravity points are (20.8*X + 1.75*Y) / (20.8 + 1.75).

I thought about this, because I just brewed the Lemon-Lime Hefe in the recipe section - BTW it turned out fantastic and I'm not even a hefe lover. In that case the SG of the limeade is so close to the main batch it has little impact on effective OG. It probably does increase alcohol a little bit, because its sugars are probably more fermentable and thus lower the FG.

Measure the limeade SG, then do a volume weighted average to get the effective OG of the whole batch. E.g. if the gravity points of the beer is X (e.g. 50 for 1.050) and you started with 5.5 gallons (20.8 liters), and the gravity points of the limeade is Y, then your effective gravity points are (20.8*X + 1.75*Y) / (20.8 + 1.75).

I thought about this, because I just brewed the Lemon-Lime Hefe in the recipe section - BTW it turned out fantastic and I'm not even a hefe lover. In that case the SG of the limeade is so close to the main batch it has little impact on effective OG. It probably does increase alcohol a little bit, because its sugars are probably more fermentable and thus lower the FG.

Thank you for the detailed reply. Perfect explanation.

Back