Porter - what goes in it? Yesterday & Today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob

Reaction score
This post came from here, wherein I opined that roasted barley has no place in Porter. In the interest of preventing thread hijacking, I've started a new thread.

It's kinda confusing isn't it? Since there was historically little distinction between stouts and porters (you would know, oh Obi Wan of costumed/historical brewing :D)

True. Extra Stout Porter, etc., y'dig? Stout historically is an offshoot of Porter. However, that was then, this is now.

For example roasted barley is said to be a key ingredient in stout, especially Guinness. But, there is historical evidence that Guinness did not use roasted barley, but the more expensive roasted malt until fairly recently in their overall history. Yet it seems some brewers of porter did use roasted barley.

Again, true. But when I wrote about roasted barley in the other thread, I had in mind 2008 style standards. In 2008, it is impossible to make Dry Irish Stout without roasted barley. Not black, chocolate, Carafa, or any combination thereof; roasted barley and roasted barley alone, in relatively large proportions, is appropriate in Dry Irish Stout.

The BJCP even concedes that some roasted barley is allowable in porters, but the guidelines from the Brewer's Association specifically say that roasted barley is not acceptable in Porter. I think that is wrong personally, as there is plenty of historical precedent for it.

If you ask me - and you didn't - the BJCP is simply responding to the weight of brewers who put roasted barley in porter. I prefer to go by Terry Foster's pronouncement of "No roasted in Porter" - but then, in the recipe section of "Porter" (in the Classic Styles series), he lists a recipe with roasted barley in it! [throws up hands] Sheesh.

Historical precedent or not - and that's a really intricate argument about definitions - I don't think the flavor is appropriate compared to benchmark styles. A combination of black patent and chocolate give the appropriate flavor; roasted doesn't. Simple as dat.

Besides, isn't black patent just a type of roasted barley? And aren't most of the crystal malts made by "roasting" the barley?

Yes, black patent is a type of roasted barley. The main difference is that roasted barley is not malted; black patent is black patent malt. Black patent has a unique flavor and color potential; it tastes very astringent, sharp and phenolic, smells acrid and burnt, and provides in small proportions a brown color, in large, black. Roasted barley is more nutty, has a smoother roasted bitterness, smells toasty, and provides in small proportions a garnet-red color, in large, black. Comparatively speaking, black patent malt has a much harsher roasted character than roasted barley.

Crystal malts are made by raising the temperature of the sealed kiln rapidly after germination, instead of aerating the malt floor and gently and slowly raising the temperature (like is done for pale malt). The crystal malt process "mashes" the starches in the barleycorn itself, and the heat crystallizes the sugars. Further increasing the temperatures in the kiln produces different depths of Lovibond degrees.

In the same vein, Randy Mosher writes extensively about Porter and Stout in Radical Brewing, and his conclusion is that Porter's definition changed every 20 years or so as technology advanced. Recipes went from 100% Brown Malt, then to 33% Brown/Amber/Pale, then to mostly Pale/Black malt, in the span of a few decades.

Yes, it did, thanks to technology. Historically, roasted barley didn't exist except as a byproduct of malting. In the 18th and early 19th centuries - until the advent of the drum roaster - Porter was brewed from a mix of brown and amber malts. Some historical brewing texts even give instructions on how to make Porter malt from regular pale malt; that's what I did for this past Saturday's brew.

Even before the drum roaster made possible very pale malt at reasonable prices, porter brewers knew that, even though brown malt was much less expensive than pale malt, pale malt gave such a greater yield of 'saccharum' that it more than offset the cost. Until the drum roaster made possible high-kilned malts of consistent quality and characteristics, however, it still paid to use higher-kilned amber and brown malts in porter brewing.

But that's all only of interest to someone trying to brew an historical porter. I was talking about the 2008 style characteristics. I still contend that robust porter should be brewed with four malts - pale, crystal, chocolate and black patent. When you add roasted barley, you've made a stout. Congratulations. ;)

Now, according to the BJCP, Brown (which we think of as predominatly British) Porter "should not have a significant black malt character."

That's true, because black patent malt character is essential to Robust Porter. (See above.) If you read further into the BJCP, the darkest roasted malt appropriate is Chocolate and equivalent.

If you swap roasted barley for black patent malt, you've made stout, not porter, because the flavors are completely and obviously different.

Cheers,

Bob

Well then :D

Now that you and I have discussed it, let's see if anyone else cares. :mug:

I'm blogging right now, so I'll further respond to your response to my response in a bit.

I'm sure it is fine, EdWort. I have yet to find any of your beers to be less than lip-smackin' good. Looking at your recipe, I wonder why you bother; I can't help but think any color/flavor contribution from the roasted barley is swamped by those from the black patent and the large dose of chocolate malt. (And yes, I read the thread resulting from the recipe post!)

I never said porters that have roasted barley in them don't taste good; they just don't taste like porter if the brewer substitutes roasted barley for black patent malt.

Cheers,

Bob

If anyone else is interested in the origins and evolution of this style, here is a good resource.

http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2008/05/did-porter-become-mild.html

http://www.europeanbeerguide.net/beerale.htm#barclaygrist

Note the inclusion of Roast Malt in Barclay Perkins Porter (TT) after 1851.

I know that this is but one example, but Brewers use what they have and sometimes that changes the style, sometimes not.

I love the Barclay perkin's site...thanks for posting the links, the whole blog is a font of history!!!:ban:

This is an great topic. Anyone interested in learning more about these styles and malts should check out the links that olllllo provided.

Yeah just another reason why quibbling over style can result in endless contention :D. I personally never add Roasted Barley, but that is simply how I interpret the style. Porter (more specifically Robust Porter) vs. Stout has the grayest band between the two that I think if your recipe falls in that band, you could probably enter it into a competition under both, and depending on the judges you could be surprised. This is also the reason why I don't include Chocolate Malt in any of my regular Stout recipes (Save for Export).

That all being said, small additions of grains can be a toss up. Sometimes you can alter the flavor noticeably but not to the point where you can put your finger on it. I perform this 'trick' in many of my recipes. It has an effect on the whole, but is not distinguishable save by a trained palate with experience and intuition on the receiving end.

If you can find it, did up Frank Clark, the guy in charge of brewing at Colonial WIlliamsburg's, article in the Dec/Jan Issue of Zymurgy. It's about how he came up with the Porter recipe they brew. He even has the directions to make his version of Essentia Bina and Spanish Juice...as well as a recipe for both 1750 and 1850 style porter....

1750's porter (10 gallon)

13# Maris Otter
5#Aromatic or dark Munich
5# MO toasted in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes
1# Smoked Malt
1# Franco/Belgian Coffee Malt (anyone heard of this??)
Essentia Bina & Spanish Juice
4 ounces EKG's (First Wort Hopping)

1850's Porter 10 gal

14# Pale Malt
4# Aromatic or Munich Malt
1# Special B or Dark Crystal
2# Black Patent Malt
Essentia Bina & Spanish Juice
4 ounces EKG's (FWH)

Both recipes are mashed @ 155 for 80 minutes...No Sparging for either recipe.

Also, if you are interested in antique recipes for many English beers, do a Google Book search for Brewing with the advanced search option of the years 1800-1899.

You will find many books including this one that I found today:

"Instructions for brewing porter and stout at an expense of 4d to 5d per gallon" by Charles Clarkson publ. 1853 Book Link

This book's recipes include roasted barley in a London porter.

If you can find it, did up Frank Clark, the guy in charge of brewing at Colonial WIlliamsburg's, article in the Dec/Jan Issue of Zymurgy. It's about how he came up with the Porter recipe they brew. He even has the directions to make his version of Essentia Bina and Spanish Juice...as well as a recipe for both 1750 and 1850 style porter....

Didja happen to notice Ray Daniels' article in the same issue that contradicts (correctly so) Clarks' mention of the Harwood/three threads tale?

I personally never add Roasted Barley, but that is simply how I interpret the style.

Exactly. I should have said from the get-go that what I'm saying is my interpretation of the style. There's too much overlap, if you ask me; if one can enter a beer into four different categories, it's not that the beer is excellent, it's that the category system is broken - it's too nebulous.

From http://www.europeanbeerguide.net/beerale.htm :

When a law was passed in 1816 allowing only malt and hops to be used in the production of beer (a sort of British Reinheitsgebot) they were left in a quandry. Their problem was solved by Wheeler´s invention of patent malt in 1817. It was now possible to brew Porter from 95% Pale Malt and 5% patent malt, though most London brewers continued to use some Brown Malt for flavour.

In the table immediately following, you'll note that roasted malt is unused in Griffin Brewery porter grists of any type. In the table immediately following that, you'll find roasted malt is used in every type of stout.

However, as noted, the Barclay Perkins tables for the same period indicate their "TT" porter (presumably "Three Threads") does use roasted malt.

Further down the page, we come to Whitbread table, which indicates that Porter was made in 1873 with pale and black malts only while their stouts at that time had a proportion of brown malt added, as well as black malt.

I've got to spend some more time crunching that data...

Bob

Didja happen to notice Ray Daniels' article in the same issue that contradicts (correctly so) Clarks' mention of the Harwood/three threads tale?

You mean Randy Mosher...Ray Daniels wrote about hopsex :D that issue....

And no, actually I missed the article for some reason....Glad I got the issue here on my lap...Damn fine picture of a porter for Mosher's article. I wish I weren't at work now...Thanks for mentioning it.:mug:

I really love this thread...this is the "meatiest" topic I've gotten to chew on since joining....

I think the overarching point is that the beer follows the people and not the other way around.

That was kind of the point that Peter Bouckaert was making with regards to 'Stye'. In the Wiki, it is stated like this :)D):

"It is important to remember that while there exist myriads of accepted and well known styles, that these styles themselves evolved from recipes created by inspired brewers."

"It is important to remember that while there exist myriads of accepted and well known styles, that these styles themselves evolved from recipes created by inspired brewers."

Very, very true. I don't disagree in the slightest.

Please permit me to opine that there's a difference between being an inspired brewer and brewing something outside a given style. I contend one cannot respond to inspiration until one has a certain mastery of the craft. It requires a knowledge of what ingredient is appropriate for a given application. You have to know what the convention is before you can decide to chuck it out the window. Otherwise you're just throwing **** against the wall to see what sticks.

You dig?

Bob

this is silly. you can put roasted barley in a porter and NO roasted barley in a stout and still enter in competition.

guidelines are just that...guidelines. you can make a beer that tastes to style without using the exact ingredients they list FOR the style.

i've made plenty of stouts without roasted barley. they come out great. every time i post a recipe on here, i always here the "IMO it's not a stout without roasted barley." Well, that's your opinion. I'll keep making my great stouts.

hmm...i haven't made a stout in a while...maybe a PM batch this week...rye stout perhaps :D

guidelines are just that...guidelines. you can make a beer that tastes to style without using the exact ingredients they list FOR the style.

See, no, no you can't. Not when the flavors are so obviously different. A wheat beer fermented with WYeast 1056 will taste like an American Wheat, not a Hefeweizen. In the same vein, you can't make a Hefeweizen with Pils malt and Vienna malt; you need wheat. A Dry Stout brewed with black patent malt instead of roasted barley will taste just wrong. I suppose you could make your version of Dry Stout taste like dry stout by carefully choosing and proportioning other roasted grains, but what's the friggin' point? That's a lot of stupid wasted effort when you can just add a pound or so of roasted barley and call it a day.

I think we homebrewers have a deep-seated urge to needlessly overcomplicate our recipes. Let's take Ordinary Bitter as an example. You can make a wonderfully yummy Ordinary Bitter with 2 ingredients - pale and crystal malts - that's 100% true to style and will win medals. Whyever do we succumb to the temptation to add this, tweak that? In my view, that's pointless; if you can't make a good Bitter using the traditional ingredients used by countless other brewers and commercial breweries - in other words, those listed in the BJCP 'guidelines' - ain't no way you're gonna make a good one by flying by the seat of your pants.

i've made plenty of stouts without roasted barley. they come out great. every time i post a recipe on here, i always here the "IMO it's not a stout without roasted barley." Well, that's your opinion. I'll keep making my great stouts.

I'm sure they are great - for you. Hell, maybe you can fool judges into thinking you've used roasted barley instead of a melange of other roasted malts. Maybe you don't compete. What I can tell you with 110% certainty is that a decent palate can tell the difference. And if the ingredient is not appropriate, it's simply not. A stout isn't a stout without roasted barley in it. Period. Dot. End of sentence. A delightfully tasty dark ale of some sort, which I wish I could try, but not stout.

hmm...i haven't made a stout in a while...maybe a PM batch this week...rye stout perhaps :D

Now rye in a stout...that I can get behind! :mug: Make a dry stout even drier...

Cheers,

Bob

Oh why can't we all just get along? :D

Tizard,

Scarcely does this our beer-sipping country contain
any two brewers, particularly neighbours, whose productions
are alike in flavour and quality, and especially in the article porter; for even in London, a practised connoisseur can truly discover, without hesitation and by mere taste, the characteristic flavour that distinguishes the management of each of the principal or neighbouring breweries...This diversity is caused by a variety of circumstances, known and unknown, as some of them are profoundly veiled in secresy; but at present as much from the colours and proportions of the grists brewed, as from any other general cause....

That just sounds so "genteel" doesn't it? :mug:

Been following this all day and while it may seem divisive, there is something for those lacking experience(like me) to learn.

If I were to brew an historic recipe for a porter, I could use roasted barley. Then if I were to submit it to a competition, it would be important for me to label the beer as a porter that was brewed from an historic grain bill. If I didn't label it properly, the tester could have a modern beer recipe perspective like the OP and give me a bad review because he/she was expecting a modern recipe.

That is one aspect that I did not take into account when researching all that I have. If I don't give the tester, or the friend I am sharing with, that this is not a modern recipe, it could count against me as a homebrewer.

To me this isn't so much an argument/discussion as to whether roasted barley can be included in a porter recipe, but is a comparison between modern and historic recipes for porters and stouts.

But then, it is my opinion as well. Opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one and they are usually full of something.

Please permit me to opine that there's a difference between being an inspired brewer and brewing something outside a given style. I contend one cannot respond to inspiration until one has a certain mastery of the craft. It requires a knowledge of what ingredient is appropriate for a given application. You have to know what the convention is before you can decide to chuck it out the window. Otherwise you're just throwing **** against the wall to see what sticks.

You dig?

Bob

Sure 'nuff, that's very close to how I view things. I will say though, that there are some who possess a certain level of creative intuition, but there still needs to be some degree of experience to follow through.

However, this varies greatly between one individual and the next. When I brew 'to style' I merely look at the stats and normal ingredients and take it from there. Otherwise I just dream it up. This isn't without it's consequences though as some things which cannot be predicted but rather must be experienced to understand if anything goes wrong and why.

So in that sense, the inspired brewer with a high degree of creative intuition and a good amount of experience creates the style. The style doesn't create the brewer. :fro:

So in that sense, the inspired brewer with a high degree of creative intuition and a good amount of experience creates the style. The style doesn't create the brewer. :fro:

Exactly! :mug:

Would you agree that the style doesn't create the brewer, but brewing to style does make a better brewer?

Anyway, back to porter. This whole thingy came about because the porter my pal and I made this past weekend - see this thread - didn't turn out at all like any porter we ever expected. It's a beautiful deep amber and the wort tasted gorgeous, but it's neither a Brown nor a Robust Porter. I've made a half-dozen different historic porters, from 1750 to 1880, and none of them looked like this one.

Weird.

So yeah, Brew-Happy, the taster should be forewarned about how the beer, though in fact indeed a porter, ain't like any porter they might have had. The modern rendition of the style is completely different. And that ties in to the whole style commentary.

Styles are there not to restrict the brewer, but to give the taster a frame of reference in which to enjoy the beer. You can call a Pilsner a Porter, but if you hand it to someone familiar with Porter, they're going to be at best confused and at worst pissed off because of being misled. It's dangerous to diverge too far from a particular style and still call it that style.

That's my perspective, anyway.

Bob

What do you guys make of this recipe?

Taken from "The Early Breweries of New Jersey" for the New Jersey Agricultural Society by Harry and Grace Weiss 1963

The 1796 Philadelphia Porter Recipe

One quarter of malt (8 bu.)
8 lbs. hops
9 lbs. treacle (9 pints of molasses)
8 lbs. licorice root
8 lbs. essentia bina
8 lbs. color
1/2 oz. capsicum (red pepper)
2 oz. Spanish licorice
1/4 oz. Cocculus Indicus berries
2 drams of salt of tartar
1/4 oz. heading
3 oz. ginger
4 oz. lime
1 oz. linseed
2 drams cinnamon
water for five barrels of porter

I've never heard of some of those ingredients and wouldn't know where to find some of the others - but it would make a heck of a homebrewing experiment.

What do you guys make of this recipe?

Taken from "The Early Breweries of New Jersey" for the New Jersey Agricultural Society by Harry and Grace Weiss 1963

The 1796 Philadelphia Porter Recipe

One quarter of malt (8 bu.)
8 lbs. hops
9 lbs. treacle (9 pints of molasses)
8 lbs. licorice root
8 lbs. essentia bina
8 lbs. color
1/2 oz. capsicum (red pepper)
2 oz. Spanish licorice
1/4 oz. heading
3 oz. ginger
4 oz. lime
1 oz. linseed
2 drams cinnamon
water for five barrels of porter

I've never heard of some of those ingredients and wouldn't know where to find some of the others - but it would make a heck of a homebrewing experiment.

It doesn't specifiy which malt....

a lot of those ingredients are some mentioned in Tizard as well (some as crappy adjuncts of some breweries, like we would complain about corn and rice in budweiser)...

Essentia bina, and liccorice are common to most porters (somebody on this thread recently made essentia bina :D).

Tizard mentions capsicum (which is chili powder..yummmm) Treacle would be interesting. Ginger and cinnamin would be interesting as well(reminds me of my pumpkin porter.)

According to google.
The chief constituent of cocculus indicus is the bitter, crystalline, poisonous substance, picrotoxin, which occurs in the seed to the extent of 1.0 to 1.5 per cent., associated with a. little cocculin (anamirtin). The seeds also contain about 50 per cent. of fat. In the pericarp of the fruit two tasteless alkaloids, menispermine and paramenispermine have been found.
Not for me....:D

Isn't linseed poisoness as well? And is the recipe calling for Lime, the mineral (most likely) as opposed to the fruit.

Salt of tartar is potassium carbonate or Potash...so I'm thinking hlf of those ingredients aren't for flavor, but for water chemistry adjustment....these;

4 oz. lime
1 oz. linseed

I don't know what heading is though. But I bet it's another water chemistry adjuster....

You could leave those out and brew with all the flavor ingredients and it might be quite tasty.

Would you agree that the style doesn't create the brewer, but brewing to style does make a better brewer?

Styles are there not to restrict the brewer, but to give the taster a frame of reference in which to enjoy the beer. You can call a Pilsner a Porter, but if you hand it to someone familiar with Porter, they're going to be at best confused and at worst pissed off because of being misled. It's dangerous to diverge too far from a particular style and still call it that style.

That's my perspective, anyway.

Bob

and I would agree completely...cept I would phrase it that brewing to style can make a better brewer. If you have the ability to brew to a given style and can understand the interplay of the ingredients to the end result, then you should also easily be able to brew outside of style guidelines. At the same time, being able to brew to hit the numbers doesn't guarantee that you can compose a fab recipe of your own.

Either way if you like roasted barley in your porter, expect me to look a little surprised if you hand me one ;)....but that doesn't mean that it's necessarily wrong for you.

Cocculus Indicus berries

I think I read this ingredient was used because it creates more of an intoxicating effect. One of the old book authors did not recommend this as it was poisonous. Interesting what some brewers would put into their brew to make people feel more intoxicated without raising the abv which raised the duty tax.

It doesn't specifiy which malt....

Welcome to the fun of redacting historical recipes. ;) To the Colonial brewer, the best malt was what you could get. It was probably approximate to Maris Otter's color and flavor, but less well modified and with less diastatic power.

Essentia bina, and licorice are common to most porters. Tizard mentions capsicum (which is chili powder..yummmm) Treacle would be interesting. Ginger and cinnamon would be interesting (reminds me of my pumpkin porter.)

Essentia bina is simple enough to make in the modern kitchen, though the quantities required for brewing on this scale are a bit beyond most kitchens. Treacle, molasses and essentia bina all taste so alike to me that I see no reason to either go to the trouble of making essentia bina or spending extra bucks on honest-to-God treacle.

I agree that the capsicum, ginger and cinnamon would make a really neat flavor profile.

Cheers,

Bob

and I would agree completely...cept I would phrase it that brewing to style can make a better brewer. If you have the ability to brew to a given style and can understand the interplay of the ingredients to the end result, then you should also easily be able to brew outside of style guidelines. At the same time, being able to brew to hit the numbers doesn't guarantee that you can compose a fab recipe of your own.

Fair enough. I was writing under the assumption that the brewer would be brewing to style in order to learn the characteristics and interplay of the different grains.

Either way if you like roasted barley in your porter, expect me to look a little surprised if you hand me one ;)....but that doesn't mean that it's necessarily wrong for you.

Also fair enough!

Cheers,

Bob

I do a great chicken Mole, and was thinking about chipotle, chile, cumin and chocolate in a porter while I was making it the other day...I just googled and found an interesting one in byo.

Parascalops Porter
(Mole Porter)

(5 gallons/19 L, all-grain)
OG = 1.056 FG = 1.014
IBU = 29 SRM = 47 ABV = 5.4%
Parascalops? Mole? What the hell? Mole (pronounced MOH-lay) poblano is a sauce made with cocoa, nuts, chili peppers and other spices. It is found in a lot of interior Mexican cooking. Parascalops breweri is a mole (rhymes with “hole”), a small mammal that lives in underground. Its common name is the hairy-tailed mole, but it’s also called Brewer’s Mole (after Thomas Mayo Brewer, the naturalist who named it).

Ingredients
7.75 lbs. (3.5 kg) 2-row pale ale malt
2.0 lbs. (0.91 kg) Munich malt (10 °L)
7.0 oz. (200 g) biscuit or Victory malt (35 °L)
8.0 oz. (230 g) chocolate malt
2.0 oz. (57 g) black patent malt
4.0 oz. (110 g) cocoa powder
5 Ancho (dried Poblano) chili peppers
1/4 tsp cinnamon
11 AAU Northern Brewer hops (60 mins)
(1.2 oz./34 g of 9% alpha acids)
Wyeast 1968 (London ESB) or White Labs WLP002 (English Ale) yeast
1 cup corn sugar (for priming)

Step by Step
Mash at 154 °F (68 °C) for 45 minutes in 15 qts. (14 L) of brewing liquor. Boil wort for 60 minutes, adding hops at times indicated in the ingredient list. Add cocoa powder for final 15 minutes of boil. Add cinnamon for last 5 minutes of boil. Ferment at 70 °F (21 °C). Boil Ancho peppers for 15 minutes in just enough water to cover them. Strain out solids to yield a “pepper tea.” Add tea to beer in keg or bottling bucket until you can just detect a faint pepper burn in the aftertaste.

Throwing this out there if you haven't seen it...you can check out the competition :)

Friday August 15th, 2008 - 6:30 pm - Brewery Night
Rub elbows with beer enthusiasts and history buffs alike at our popular Brewery Night program. Local beer historian Rich Wagner returns to demonstrate Colonial brewing using authentic equipment. Event features beer sampling with the Keystone Homebrew Company. Light refreshments included. Cost: $25 ($20 BCHS members). Reservations required, call 215-345-0210, ext. 123.

http://www.mercermuseum.org/events_calendar.htm?month=August&year=2008&location=1

Throwing this out there if you haven't seen it...you can check out the competition :)

Friday August 15th, 2008 - 6:30 pm - Brewery Night
Rub elbows with beer enthusiasts and history buffs alike at our popular Brewery Night program. Local beer historian Rich Wagner returns to demonstrate Colonial brewing using authentic equipment. Event features beer sampling with the Keystone Homebrew Company. Light refreshments included. Cost: $25 ($20 BCHS members). Reservations required, call 215-345-0210, ext. 123.

http://www.mercermuseum.org/events_calendar.htm?month=August&year=2008&location=1

I hate you, you know;).....I wish I lived there.:(

[youtube]mAU4bhjCB08[/youtube]

Exactly! :mug:

Bob

It can if one develops his/her own recipes from the style, but it can also restrain the creative spirit of the brewer. :D

I always suggest to new brewers interested in creating recipes to start with brewing to style, picking a style they like and going from there. It eliminates a lot of the fail mode.

Latest posts

Back