Piraat Specs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B-Dub

Reaction score
A friend of mine ran some numbers on a small bottle of Piraat. Take a look at the FG!

Here’s the numbers for Piraat:

IBU’s: 30.35
Color: 7.56
pH 4.22
OG:18.94 (1.076)
FG:1.37! (1.0055)
Kcal:253
ABV:9.71
RDF:92%

How did your friend 'run the numbers'? Does he/she work in a lab?

That is a low FG. Unfortunately I've never had a Piraat :(...but it's near the top of the list.

That's pretty cool. Thanks for sharing. I haven't had Piraat in a few years, but I know I like it. Those Belgians are crazy with their 90+% attenuation.:rockin:

I know they use different yeast for primary and conditioning, is there a way your friend can determine the primary yeast?

I really wish he could. The Flanders Golden from Wyeast this last VSS was rumored to be the primary yeast. Other than that.....your guess.

You are right about the 2 yeasts. One for primary and the second for bottling. At least that is what the brewery sent me when I wrote them.

First of all I would like to thank you for your interest. But I will not be able to help you. From the side of the board of directors of our brewery it’s forbidden to pass on a detail of the ingredients list.

Because this is the secret of the beer.

Sorry that I may not help you.

Best regards

Jef

p.s we use for all the beers different yeast. We have 3 different types of yeast for the high fermentation and we have 6 different yeast types for the refermentation.

I just degassed and measured a sample of Piraat with a precision hydrometer and FG came out to be 1.017...

*edit: website says OG is 22 P - so that means it should be finishing at 3.5 or 1.014 to get the ABV of 10.5%
Seems the recipe has changed a bit in the last decade.

Last edited:
FWIW Roncoroni & Verstrepen measured the colour of Piraat as 22 EBC, and bitterness at 31 IBU in ~2018 or before.

Back