Meat Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blisterman

Reaction score
I must firstly say that I have no intention of actually making this. I'm just curious.

But, would it be possible to add meat to beer, same way as you'd add fruit or honey? I've had Oyster Stout before, brewed with oysters.

If someone wanted to, could they make Bacon Brew or Steak Stout? Or would they just get a rancid batch of beer and/or food poisoning?

Has anyone ever tried this?

Let me introduce you to my "little Friend"
l_67c1e44d05fbdaf401a2d3192ca92551.jpg

:D

Porkfelwein https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=56475

It even has it's own myspace page http://www.myspace.com/porkfelwein

Not to mention the Bacon Vodka Thead.

http://www.thecornishcyderfarm.co.uk/cyder.htm

Fermentation in the past was a haphazard affair because no one knew how to control the wild yeasts properly. Often a leg of mutton was thrown into the barrel, or sometimes the cock's throat was slit and blood was poured in! It was said that no traces of meat or bone remained when the barrel was emptied however. It is also true, that rats who drank from the froth at the top of a fermenting barrel often got drunk and fell in.

Also page 99 in Papazian's, "Complete Joy of Homebrewing"
Chicken Beer.

http://www.thecornishcyderfarm.co.uk/cyder.htm

Also page 99 in Papazian's, "Complete Joy of Homebrewing"
Chicken Beer.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Cock Ale
(Which is one of the theories as to the origin of the word cocktail)

COCK ALE (circa the 1500's) A real recipe from some obscure text found in the Scottish Highlands... Enjoy....

Procedure:
"Take 10 gallons of ale and a large cock, the older the better; parboil the cock, flay him, and stamp him in a stone mortar until his bones are broken (you must gut him when you flaw him). Then, put the cock into two quarts of sack, and put to it five pounds of raisins of the sun - stoned; some blades of mace, and a few cloves. Put all these into a canvas bag, and a little before you find the ale has been working, put the bag and ale together in vessel.
In a week or nine days bottle it up, fill the bottle just above the neck and give it the same time to ripen as other ale."

Alternate recipe:
Brutal, eh? I was also given a modern recipe written by some guy named C.J.J. Berry.... Here goes this one...
"Take a few pieces of _cooked_ chicken and a few chicken bones (approx one tenth of the edible portion of the bird) well crushed or minced.

Also take half of pound of raisins, a very little mace, and one or maybe two cloves. Add all these ingrediants to half a bottle of string country white wine. Soak for 24 hrs. Then make on gallon of beer as follows:

1 lb Malt extract
1 Oz Hops
1/2 lb demerarra sugar
1 gallon water
Yeast and nutrient

Add the whole of the chicken mixture to the beer at the end of the second day. Fermentation will last six or seven days longer than usual and the ale should be matured at least one month in the bottle. This cock ale is of the barley wine type.

CicadAle

http://www.realbeer.com/news/articles/news-002244.php

Marler's recipe is something of a tribute to the Brood X 17-year cicada that emerged in May. The base beer is a barley wine and targeted it to 21 Plato (thus the final beer will be about 10.3% alcohol by volume) because the cicada Brood X will emerge again in 2021.

It is 87 IBUs to represent the last time the cicada emerged, and he used 17 hop additions in honor of the 17-year cicada cycle. He smoked the cicadas with apple wood chips and added them (about a quart) the mash.
"I hope that the cicadas will lend a slight smoke and or nut character to the beer, but time will tell," he wrote in an online forum. "I plan to drink a couple of bottles each year for the next 17 years.

I would love to make a steak flavored ale. Some porcini mushrooms, peppercorns, and some Worcestershire sauce in a dark brown ale with a little bit of smoked malt would probably do the trick. I'd add the porcini/Worcestershire as a tea at the end.

hmmm, I should make this.

I would love to make a steak flavored ale. Some porcini mushrooms, peppercorns, and some Worcestershire sauce in a dark brown ale with a little bit of smoked malt would probably do the trick. I'd add the porcini/Worcestershire as a tea at the end.

hmmm, I should make this.

And salt. Don't forget salt. Probably going to want some butter as well. Once you've added the butter, you kind of have to add blue cheese. Once you put blue cheese in your beer, you may as well just throw it away and go out to a steak house.

And salt. Don't forget salt. Probably going to want some butter as well. Once you've added the butter, you kind of have to add blue cheese. Once you put blue cheese in your beer, you may as well just throw it away and go out to a steak house.

No no. No salt or blue cheese. Or butter. Blech.

I'm all about unique beers. I'm willing to try a sour beer fermented with Brett or whatever, but I draw the line at meat in beer.

Back