Left Hand Milk Stout Clone (Partial Mash)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzly2378

Reaction score
Okay, I searched this forum and found a couple other threads for Milk Stout clones, but it didn't really seem clear that anyone had nailed down a good recipe. For one, seems like most of the clone recipes have more roasted barley than they should. In a BYO article about milk stouts, the brewmaster at Left Hand said: “(Milk stouts) are typically not very bitter, so you need to put in a portion of roasted barley, but make sure the portion of chocolate malt is twice as big,” he explains. “The roast will be subtle and you’ll get plenty of color. If you go heavy on the barley, it will actually be bittersweet. It is better to have more chocolate malt and just a nuance of roasted barley. I also think it works out really well when there is a decent amount of caramel in the beer "

But, that same article says that Left Hand Milk Stout is 5.3% ABV, while Left Hand's own website says 6%. Perhaps the recipe has changed? The article is 10 years old...

Anyhow, here's my crack at a 5 gallon partial mash recipe taking into account recipes found on old threads, the quotes in the BYO article and Left Hand's description of it on their website. I've found that with my current equipment/setup, I can successfully mash about 9 lbs worth of grain, so that played a role in my numbers. That, and I like to make the numbers somewhat even for ordering purposes.

4.5 lbs. Pale 2-row
0.5 lb. Roasted Barley
1 lb. Chocolate Malt
1 lb. Caramel 60L
1 lb. Munich 10L
0.5 lb. Flaked Barley
0.5 lb. Flaked Oats
3 lbs. Light DME (@60 min)
1 lb. Lactose (@15 min)

0.75 oz Magnum @ 60
1 oz US Goldings @ 10

Wyeast 1056/WLP001/Safale 05

The following numbers are from Brewer's Friend, assuming 60% partial mash efficiency.

OG - 1.071
FG - 1.026
ABV - 5.91%
IBU - 27.99
SRM - 39.5

Any thoughts/suggestions/criticisms will be gladly accepted. :mug:

Hello! Sorry to raise an old thread, but I was looking for a good milk stout recipe and wondered if you were happy with this one. Let me know. Thanks!

Yes, it turned out pretty good! I've since gone all grain, and plan on doing this again as an AG. Just replace the DME with more 2 row and should be good to go.

Back