Comet Hops Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bighand

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I ordered a pound of Comet hops from Hops Direct last month.
I wasn't able to find too much information about comet hops other than the description on Hops Direct that said "Bittering Hop with wild American aroma".

I decided to brew a light pale ale hopped to around 50 IBU's with comet so I could see what it tasted like. Following is the recipe I used for a 10 gallon batch.

Grains:
19 lbs US 2-Row
2 lbs Munich
1.5 lbs Crystal 40L

Hops:
2 oz. Comet (11.0%) 60 minutes
2 oz. Comet (11.0%) 20 minutes
2 oz. Comet (11.0%) 0 minutes

Yeast:
US05

Mashed at 150

OG: 1.055
FG: 1.012

I just kegged it yesterday after 2 weeks of fermentation. I tasted a lot of the citrusy flavors common in American hops. The flavors that stood out to me most were grapefruit and pineapple.

I'll update this thread after I carbonate and age the beer a little bit with more tasting notes.

Cheers!

I hope that turned out to be something good. It does sound like it was to your liking thankfully.

10 gallons seems to be a large gamble on something unknown. I would have gone a safer route and brewed a smaller batch or a split batch hopping half with the Comet and half with something familiar.

:mug:

10 gallons seems to be a large gamble on something unknown.

Yeah I thought about that but I only brew 10 gallon batches, my setup isn't designed for split boils.

I used the same recipe with Sorachi Ace hops a few months ago and it turned out good. I'm just about done with the second keg.

I have a pound of comet in the freezer also. Did you do 1 ounce for each addition? It doesn't say. From what I have gathered on the interwebs its best suited for bittering only, so it will be interesting to hear how it turns out for you.

Sorry about that, they were all 2 ounce additions.

I have a pound of comet in the freezer also. Did you do 1 ounce for each addition? It doesn't say. From what I have gathered on the interwebs its best suited for bittering only, so it will be interesting to hear how it turns out for you.

How did it turn out? I am interested in the Comet reviews since they are only $9.00/lb on hops direct and have never used them.

How did it turn out? I am interested in the Comet reviews since they are only $9.00/lb on hops direct and have never used them.

I'm drinking it now and I've got to say it is really good. There is a ton of grapefruit and pineapple that comes through in the flavor and aroma. I will definitely brew this one again!!

I am reviving this old thread since that full pound of comet has been looking at me today.
I am going to do a very similar beer in the morning.
Here is my recipe

13 gallon batch

21 Rahr 2-Row
2 Crystal 80
.5 Carafa II

27 g Comet FWH (11%)
27g Comet 60
50g Comet 15
50g Comet 5

I will let you know what I think of it!

I recently stumbled upon these hops. Don't know where I've been for the last couple of years. So I seen your postings as I'm watching my boil on my all Comet hop beer. Glad to see Bigman really liked it. The only thing I plan on doing different is dry hopping it.

Thanks for posting.

9.5lbs 2 row
1lb 30L
.5lb carapils
1oz Comet FWH
1oz Comet 15
1oz Comet 0
1.5 Dryhop

Fear No Beer!

I have a pound of Comet as well, and have also heard that it's strictly a bittering hop, but now I'm thinking about doing a pale ale as well and see how it goes. thanks yall.

I've heard comet is good for dry hopping, but to be careful with it. How was the aroma on these with it?

this fall I am planning on brewing a beer with comet hops. I just ordered 8 oz of comet and I have a second year comet hop plant growing in my back yard. I looks to be loaded with hops so I am excited to make a fresh hop ale with this.

Back