Can You Brew It recipe for Lagunitas Brown Shugga

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricCSU

Reaction score
All recipes are 6 gallons post-boil, 70% efficiency, Morey for color, 15% evaporation, 7.27 gallons preboil, Rager IBU, and most hops are in grams not ounces. Most, if not all recipes are primary only (no secondary).

If you brew this, please reply with your results.

SG 1099
FG 1023
75% apparent attenuation
54.9 IBUs
17.5 SRM
10.1% abv

WLP002 or Wyeast 1968 at 64F, increasing 1 degree per day until 70F is reached

90min boil

16 lbs US 2-row
3.8 lbs wheat malt
1 lb munich 10l
1.05 lbs crystal 60 (Crisp if you can)
0.3 lbs crystal 105
0.23 lbs crystal 150
0.61 lbs dark brown sugar at 30min

44g williamette 4.1%AA at 90min
10g nugget 12.7%AA at 45min
31g williamette at 45min
3g nugget at 1m
11g liberty 4.5%AAat 1m
23g centennial 8%AA at 1m
21g cascade dry hop
21g centennial dry hop
21g liberty dry hop

Mash at 155F for 45min or until conversion
Mash out at 168F for 10min
Sparge at 170F for 45min

Has anyone tried this? I think I'm going to take a stab at it this weekend. Don't have 150 or 105. Do you think a little chocolate malt would suffice as a replacement?

Has anyone tried this? I think I'm going to take a stab at it this weekend. Don't have 150 or 105. Do you think a little chocolate malt would suffice as a replacement?

No. Chocolate malted is roasted and the color is around 350-400lov., much too dark and a different flavor. Get crystal 90 and crystal 120 if you can't get 150 or 105.

Eric

No. Chocolate malted is roasted and the color is around 350-400lov., much too dark and a different flavor. Get crystal 90 and crystal 120 if you can't get 150 or 105.

Eric

I know it won't bring the same flavor or color. I was thinking just enough to adjust the color. I really want to use just what I have on hand. Since there is such a small amount of the 150/105, I may bump up the 60 a quarter lb and use the chocolate just for color adjustment. I know it won't be the same beer but hopefully it will produce a good product. I'm also going to have to replace the liberty and nugget with something.

I brew this a few months ago, it was great. Only had to sub the liberty hops (for what, can not remember..). The crystal malts they use are english crystals so keep that in mind when sub. them. US crystal will be quite different, I wasn't able to get Crisp but Bards are the closest so I went with those and was happy with the results. I guess muntons might be the next best that is commonly available at most LHBS.
This is only important if your trying to clone vs. just brewing a good. Beer

Brewed this up as close as I could with ingredients is already had. My pump broke that I use for my immersion chille and my hydrometer broke but I think it's going to be an awesome beer.

I'm going to brew this on Saturday...had to make some substitutions for the Crystal 105 & 150, but I think it'll be fine. I also had to make substitutions for Willamette hops (went with Fuggles), and Nugget hops (went with Magnum). After reading one of the prior posts, I realize I didn't distinguish between English & American Crystal malts while at my LHBS...I'm pretty sure there American. I'll keep my fingers crossed. I plan to split the 6-gallon batch into two 5-gallon Better Bottles and make a 1/2-gallon Wyeast 1968 starter for each. This is certainly the biggest beer I've ever attempted, so wish me luck! I'll post again with the results in a few months :mug:

I brewed this along with a Pliney clone over the weekend. I didn't track down the crisp malt but everything else is pretty close. I used S-04 and it started up a few hours after pitching. It's been bubbling away every second or so since Sunday. I've got high hopes for this one. Strayed way too far from the recipe on my first attempt.

Giving this a shot tomorrow. I have a question. I've never brewed with "wheat malt".

1) If I use wheat grain in partial mash, can it convert itself? I see that "White Wheat" is seen to have high diatastic power, almost as much as 2-row. But "German" and "Belgian" wheat need 2-row for conversion which is why, I imagine, my "wheat extract" that is available at LHBS is 60% wheat, 40% 2-row (or maybe i have that backwards)...

2) If I use wheat grain, do i need rice hulls if I'm only doing partial mash? I see no rice hulls in the grain bill so I'm assuming you only add those if your setup requires it.

Listening to Tasty's clone, he used all american crystal i believe. Lagunita's dude was different, he used the following:

4.7% Crisp Crystal 60L
1.3% Crisp Crystal 120L
1.0% Crystal 135 (or 165) - Hugh Barrett England

Tasty's ended up being "cloned" so it shouldn't matter too much.

Also don't forget - the guys on CYBI said that this beer starts out as a "double red hop bomb" but after the hop aroma field collapses down after 3-5 months, it "turns into" what we all know as Brown Shugga. Interesting, eh?

I'm assuming that "German Wheat Malt" is what I want to use, which is generally seen as being self-converting. I'm only doing one gallon so here is my partial mash bill:

10oz wheat malt (self-converting)
8oz munich + crystal malts (Munich needs mashing, crystal could use it)
12oz of 2-row (to help the wheat, convert the munich, and then hack away at crystal)

Puts me at the equivelant of just over 9lbs equivalent for a 5-gallon recipe. I'll simply add the rest with 2-row extract and be good to go!

Final 1-gallon grain bill:

12oz 2-row pale
10oz Wheat Malt
2.8oz Crisp Crystal 60L
2.7oz 10L Munich
.8oz Crystal 105 (Crisp if you can find it)
.63oz Crystal 150L (Crisp if you can find it)
1.6oz Brown Sugar Dark @ 30min

1lb 8oz Pale Extract (2-lb Grain Equivalent)

Same hops as suggested, although here are my hops notes:
Why so little nugget @ 45 min? Kind of strange.
Why use Willamette for bittering with such low AA? I'm considering using my go-to bittering Magnum which has much higher bang for buck @ 60min and I have so much Magnum...
I don't feel like buying Cascade just for dry-hop so I may end up using Willamette to subtitute for cascade. The Dry Hop is important but since Brown Shugga is enjoyed after aging which collapses the hop aroma field down into the beer, the subtle differences between cascade won't be very apparent, I hope.
Lagunita's actually suggests "Horizon" but says if it is unavailable, try to use Nugget (which is what Tasty did). It is worth noting that the only recommended substitute I can find for Horizon is Magnum, although Horizon is said to have great aroma properties and Magnum does not have that...

One other thing. Lagunitas traditionally uses only 3 hops additions: Bittering, Taste, and Whirlpool. They said they have done both a 60min and 90min boil at their old and new brewhouse, respectively. They say that their "Taste" additions are always halfway through - so 30min for 60min boil, 45min for 90 min boil. If you do 60min boil, simply adjust hop quantities until you end up with 55IBU.

Let me know how yours turns out! :)

I'm just finishing up the last few bottles of this...and I must say it turned out excellent! I missed my OG by a smidge, but it's still over 9%. I'll definitely rebrew this one!

I want to have this beer nicely bottle conditioned by Thanksgiving. When do you guys think I should brew? Sometime in Summer?

Just tasted this for the first time last night at a beer and wine tasting that we have every weekend or so with a few really good friends, we usually taste a half dozen of our own brews and a few craft brews that we've either read about or heard others rave about, if one really impresses us, we try to find a clone recipe.
I'm a fan of a lot of different styles, but after trying 4 or 5 IPA's, they all started to have the same basic profile, so overly hopped that you couldn't taste anything but the hops, I like IPA's that bring more to the table than that, so we decided to start trying the ales.
Lagunitas wasn't new to me, I've enjoyed their IPA, so I grabbed a bottle of Brown Shugga,it was nothing short of incredible!
I'm going to try my hand at making it, this might make it into my list of a dozen or so brews that I keep as part of my rotation, but I have a few questions on the recipe, such as what are good substitutions for the 105 &150L grain, also, from what I've read, this needs to bottle age for 3-5 months, or would it be better to rack to a carboy and let it bulk age?

I just made page recipe last weekend. When you listen to the podcast there are a few recipe differences. I used crystal 120 for the 105 and muntons extra dark crystal 135/165 (which people call 150). I don think it would make a difference in storage between bottles and in the container as long as you are extremely sensitive to sanitation and the temp is 60f or lower.

I think I may try this but I know I won't find Crystal 105 and the closest I can get is Caramel 155 by Simpsons, which I think is an English malt. For the 105, the closest I see is Briess 120, but that's an American malt, right? So do I want to stick with all English malts?

Researching Crystal 105, I came upon this thread that has a slightly different grain bill:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/where-can-i-get-crystal-105-whats-good-substitue-223946/

Either way, this looks like a good recipe to try soon. I love the beer itself. I also will likely bulk age as well.

I brew this a few months ago, it was great. Only had to sub the liberty hops (for what, can not remember..). The crystal malts they use are english crystals so keep that in mind when sub. them. US crystal will be quite different, I wasn't able to get Crisp but Bards are the closest so I went with those and was happy with the results. I guess muntons might be the next best that is commonly available at most LHBS.
This is only important if your trying to clone vs. just brewing a good. Beer

Im brewimg this on Saturday how long did it take to ferment? Thanks

Just got all the ingredients for this today. How long did everyone dry hop for? And I noticed Eric didn't use a secondary Ferm. I was thinking 7 days in secondary, but looking to see what others did.

How long was total fermentation time? Also are we raising 1 degree per day until desired temp, and then after hitting fg, reducing to 60 degrees for a few months of conditioning? Or do we hold at the temp we set to reach fg?

Brewed this last night. Hit target og of 1.099 on the nose but only 5.5 gal. Color is spot on. Have Hugh expectations... Off to ferment for a year. Did everyone else ferment that long?

About to place the order for ingrediants, would love to hear from someone who has brewed this if possible.

This is on my shortlist too.
I'd like to avoid using WLP002 because it's too finicky.
I do have Wyeast 1318 London Ale III and WLP023 Burton.

Which would be best?
I guess 1318?

Thanks!

:rockin:

Back