06.06.06 Brew day, post your results, tips, gripes...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm brewing right now.

I'm sitting here wonderign why my efficiency was low.....DUH! The honey! It will add approximately 6 gravity points so plan ahead if you take readings during your boil.

I boiled long enough to hit right at around 1.070ish.. I still might be low, but WTF.

One thing--I don't think it is going to be very red. We'll see though, I always say that during the boil. :p

Boy is special B "raisiny". I like that. The mash smelled like tobacco. It was interesting.

I'm loving my new brewery set-up. I can do everything right out in the open. Very nice.

06.06.06 (v.1) is complete!

Just pitched the yeast, now...we wait!

I used a homemade wort wizard gadget tonight, what a F'in dream! It worked flawlessly. This pic isn't mine, but mine looks identical.

CFC_files%5CCFC08.jpg

I think the final product (color) is going to be closer to brown--but we will see.

SG is 1.074. I missed by 2 points. :( Oh well.

Long brew day (7 hours), but hopefully worth it. :rockin:

I used a homemade wort wizard gadget tonight, what a F'in dream! It worked flawlessly. This pic isn't mine, but mine looks identical.

Totally not food grade. :D

So, any smoke coming through in the wort? Did you do this one by the book, with honey, or did you use brown sugar?

Dude said:
I'm brewing right now.
One thing--I don't think it is going to be very red. We'll see though, I always say that during the boil. :p
I'm loving my new brewery set-up. I can do everything right out in the open. Very nice.
I was wondering about adding about 4 oz. of chocolate malt to mine to increase the red color. I figure it will make it darker but it should definitely make it more red. Shouldn't do much to the flavor at all.

RichBrewer said:
How was your sparge. Did you have any problems with the rye?

I batch sparged it, absolutely no probs. I blame my lower efficiency on that, but par for the course.

Sam, for God's sake the wort never touched the non-food grade material. GOSH!!!!!!! :ban:

I did not taste smoke in the wort--at least not as strong as it was when I did the porter. I'm hoping the yeast and the bamberg malt together will give enough smoke essence.

Rich, we definitely need to adjust the recipe to get more of a red color. Good call!

Dude said:
Rich, we definitely need to adjust the recipe to get more of a red color. Good call!
I ran it through Pro Mash and I think I'm going to add 2 Oz. of chocolate. 4 Oz would make it too dark. I'm also thinking about backing off the Special B to compensate for the chocolate. Maybe only use 1/4 pound. The recipe will then be as close in darkness as the one you brewed. Maybe not though because it may change the flavor profile to much. I'll have to think about that one.
Whatever I brew I will be glad to send you a bottle for comparison sense you started this whole thing and jumped in and brewed it first. :rockin:

Whew...this baby is still going steady....I'm really excited to try this one when I rack it over to secondary.

Did anyone notice White labs yeast upped thier yeast amounts in the vials recently? I had 2 vials from about a month ago that only have about half as much yeast as two I bought just recently....interesting!

Brewed this baby last night. Man, took longer then I was hoping to sparge, but it never got stuck, so it was all right. I didn't realize until after the fact, but I botched the hop additions, as I didn't adjust the amounts for my lower AA hops. All concidered, this has to have been one of the best smelling brews when I had the boil going. :)

Pitched her on top of the yeast cake I had going as planned, and the beast has gone nuclear as of this morning. Head space full of thick krausen, 1" blow-off full of thick krausen, and bucket solution full of yeast. :D

I would like to brew this beer but I am only able to brew extract and I was wondering if you all could possibly post the extract version of the recipe.

From pg. 19 of the original post (thanks Dude):

06.06.06 -- Extract version

A ProMash Recipe Report
Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Extract (Lbs): 11.50
Anticipated OG: 1.077 Plato: 18.56
Anticipated SRM: 14.7
Anticipated IBU: 60.0
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
43.5 5.00 lbs. Generic DME - Light Generic 1.046 8
13.0 1.50 lbs. Honey 1.042 0
8.7 1.00 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.037 8 (steep)
8.7 1.00 lbs. Rye Malt America 1.030 4 (steep)
4.3 0.50 lbs. Flaked Rye America 1.034 2 (steep)
8.7 1.00 lbs. Smoked(Bamberg) Germany 1.037 9 (steep)
4.3 0.50 lbs. Aromatic Malt Belgium 1.036 25 (steep)
4.3 0.50 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40 (steep)
4.3 0.50 lbs. Special B Malt Belgian 1.030 120 (steep)
Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
1.00 oz. Chinook Whole 12.00 43.1 60 min.
1.00 oz. Northern Brewer Pellet 7.00 14.1 30 min.
1.00 oz. Willamette Whole 4.70 2.8 5 min.
1.00 oz. Willamette Whole 4.70 0.0 Dry Hop
Yeast
-----
White Labs WLP028 Edinburgh Ale

Notes
-----
1 week secondary on oak chips

hadn't seen the recipe for this yet...looks freakin awesome, might have to try it myself. really interesting sounding, good work.

Mine is in the carboy. Going to let the trub settle and rack it to the primary.
I don't know what I did wrong but I missed the gravity big time. The OG is only 1.065. :confused: (I did remember to put in the honey). I'm going to have to think about this one.
I modified the recipe to try and make it more red. I added 2 oz. of chocolate malt and reduced the special B to 1/4 pound. I didn't want it to get too dark. I'm wishing I would have gone with 1/2 pound special B because the wort is lighter than I thought and the added flavor would have been a plus. The hop schedule is different than the original recipe because I had to use what was on hand.
The wort tastes sweet and very bitter. Even with the low gravity it should be a good beer. I just don't think it will help with fine tuning the final recipe.

A ProMash Brewing Session - Recipe Details Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 14.88
Anticipated OG: 1.077 Plato: 18.60
Anticipated SRM: 14.6
Anticipated IBU: 50.3
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 6.47 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.065 SG 15.97 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
40.3 6.00 lbs. American 2-row America 1.038 2
10.1 1.50 lbs. Honey 1.042 0
13.4 2.00 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.037 8
13.4 2.00 lbs. Rye Malt America 1.030 4
6.7 1.00 lbs. Flaked Rye America 1.034 2
6.7 1.00 lbs. Smoked(Bamberg) Germany 1.037 9
3.4 0.50 lbs. Aromatic Malt Belgium 1.036 25
3.4 0.50 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40
1.7 0.25 lbs. Special B Malt Belgian 1.030 120
0.8 0.13 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
1.00 oz. Northern Brewer Whole 7.00 25.1 60 min.
1.50 oz. Northern Brewer Whole 7.00 19.2 30 min.
2.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 5.00 6.0 5 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Whole 5.80 0.0 0 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.20 Oz Irish Moss Fining 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP028 Edinburgh Ale

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 13.38
Water Qts: 14.00 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 3.50 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.05 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 154 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 168 Time: 10
Sparge Temp : 168 Time: 20

Total Mash Volume Gal: 4.57 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

Dude, now that we have a Recipie why not start a sticky with the recipie and the extract version as the first post to replace the 20+ page discussion?

I have the stuff ordered

RichBrewer said:
Mine is in the carboy. Going to let the trub settle and rack it to the primary.
I don't know what I did wrong but I missed the gravity big time. The OG is only 1.065. :confused: (I did remember to put in the honey). I'm going to have to think about this one.

The only thing I can think of is the recipe is figured @ 75% efficiency. What do you r normally get, and what do you normally figure when you concoct recipes?

I realized that is why I hit a little low as well. I'm not too worried abou tit. If we had gone with 90 IBUs like we originally planned, then it may have been a problem. We still have a decent balance going.

And damn you brew fast!!!!!

Dude said:
The only thing I can think of is the recipe is figured @ 75% efficiency. What do you r normally get, and what do you normally figure when you concoct recipes?

I realized that is why I hit a little low as well. I'm not too worried abou tit. If we had gone with 90 IBUs like we originally planned, then it may have been a problem. We still have a decent balance going.

And damn you brew fast!!!!!
I normally hit pretty close to 75% and that's what I figure when building recipes. I know part of the problem. I ended up with a little over 6 gallons and I was shooting for 5 1/2. That accounts for about 7 points. I should have boiled for another 15 to 30 minutes. I am also wondering if I should have done the rye malt differently. All I did was crush it in my mill. Does it need to be cooked or something?
The session went extremely smooth. (except for the low SG.) I hit my target temp of 154 degrees for the mash and the sparge went without a hitch

I don't brew fast. I just get up at 0400 to brew before the family gets up! :cross:

What? Brewing this already? I thought brew day was 06 06 06? I'm behind, I guess. Hope you don't mind if I take a bit of brewer's license with it though- I'm going to cut back on the hops some, I'm not as much of a hophead as most homebrewers. I'll probably brew in a couple of weeks.

I noticed when tasting the wort I could not detect any of the smoked malt. Do we need more or a different type?

I may have screwed up the yeast. I've never used White labs before so I don't know if this is common but I shook up the bottle to suspend the yeast. When I opened it, yeast sprayed everywhere. I must have lost 1/4 of the yeast. I guess we shall see. I guess those bottles must be opened very slowly.:(

RichBrewer said:
I noticed when tasting the wort I could not detect any of the smoked malt. Do we need more or a different type?

I may have screwed up the yeast. I've never used White labs before so I don't know if this is common but I shook up the bottle to suspend the yeast. When I opened it, yeast sprayed everywhere. I must have lost 1/4 of the yeast. I guess we shall see. I guess those bottles must be opened very slowly.:(

I think the yeast we picked will accentuate that smoked malt. Also, I've had that happen before with the white labs vials. A good way to avoid losing yeast is to make a starter!!!! :p

Dude said:
I think the yeast we picked will accentuate that smoked malt. Also, I've had that happen before with the white labs vials. A good way to avoid losing yeast is to make a starter!!!! :p
You can be sure I will make a starter next time.
Better yet. I'm going to make another smaller beer with the yeast then brew the 06.06.06 and toss it on the yeast cake.

RichBrewer said:
No worries. It started bubbling last night and this morning it has a nice head of krausen and things look good.

2 weeks and this bugger still has an airlock bubble every 5 seconds. Damn honey is taking its sweet time to ferment.

I want to rack this and try it, dammit!!!!!

Dude said:
Dang! It started a tad slow but today it blew through the fermentation lock! I don't think the loss of yeast hurt too much! :ban:

Dude said:
2 weeks and this bugger still has an airlock bubble every 5 seconds. Damn honey is taking its sweet time to ferment.

I want to rack this and try it, dammit!!!!!
I was wondering how long primary will take. I've never done a brew with this high of a gravity (Except Mead). I guess we can't be in a hurry on this one.
How long of secondary are we looking at? 3 or 4 weeks? Maybe more? If I keg it I will probably do most of the secondary at 38°.
Man I can't wait to brew this again! I'm going to nail the OG when I do!

when I made a Wee heavy with a bit higher gravity then this I let it sit in the Primary 3 weeks then the secondary like another 3 weeks. Once it was bottled it didnt get to being REAL good until after about 3 months in the bottle.

Hokay, so here is what happened, It was my first mini mash, that went fine.. leaf hops? I'm using a bag next time! The cook went off without a hitch, while straining to the primary I dumped the funnel (God what a mess! and loss of about a quart of wort) I checked OG and it was a bit low so I boiled 2 cups of Extra light DME and a cup of corn sugar in 6 cups and added. That brought the SG up to 1.077.
It ferments now so we shall see.

I'm out of town right now but I think when I get home, next week, I'm gonna brew this. I figure 1-2 weeks in primary, 3 weeks on the dry hops in secondary, and then I'll move it to a corny and stick it on the gas about 10 days before the 6th of June. Can't wait!

16.5 hours in the fermenter the blow off tube has a steady stream and about a half inch of bubble foam on the surface of the bucket (5.5 gal batch in 6.5 gal carboy) I am actually kinda bumming I may run low on home brew since my Scotch ale is still fermenting nicely in the secondary meaning both my secondary's will be tied up for a while it seems, next batch will have to ferment in the plastic bucket and use the glass primary as a secondary :eek:

So i read over the recipe (going to brw this week) It says one week in secondary w/ oak chips and to dry hop. Would i do both of these at the same time? Also would i want to leave it in the secondary for longer than 1 week. so should i end up doing a thirdary?

autoferret said:
So i read over the recipe (going to brw this week) It says one week in secondary w/ oak chips and to dry hop. Would i do both of these at the same time? Also would i want to leave it in the secondary for longer than 1 week. so should i end up doing a thirdary?

I think what I am going to do is rack into secondary onto oak chips for 7-10 days. Take a sample, try it, and decide if it needs more time on the oak. If it is good, rack again to a tertiary ;) (probably a keg in my case) and dry-hop it for a week, then remove the dry hops and force carb it.

Okay, this baby is racked. My first impressions are the color could be more red. It needs more bitterness. The bitterness statement might get proved wrong when some of the residual sugar from the honey ferments all the way out. My gravity is still at 1.020 so I'll bet I've got another 10 points or so to go.

It is pretty sweet tasting right now though. I don't detect any smoke at all, it seems very citrusy, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense unless that is a yeast characteristic or the orange from the orange blossom honey is doing it. The hops we used aren't really citrusy IMHO.

I'm going to let this ferment some more of the honey out before I add the oak chips. Maybe another week.

It is a pretty good beer so far but not quite what I was expecting I guess. We'll see....

Here's a pic:

06.jpg

looks good!!!

With the oak chips did u just get chips that you'd use in a smoker and how did u sanitize them? (sorry still learning)

Racked 06.06.06 last night. It is at 1.020 so far and tastes VERY citrusy.
This is the first time I've dry hopped and I've learned a few things.
I was trying to free up one of my 6 1/2 carboys so I racked it into a 5 gallon. I didn't take into account the hops and 2 Oz. of dry hops are a LOT! When I siphoned the beer into the secondary I wasn't paying attention and it filled to the top. I had to remove some of the beer and hops in order to get the air lock on. Next time I will use a 6 1/2 carboy and I will make sure there is plenty of head space.
Here is the result:
2967-DryHop06.06.06.jpg

Back