What Sanitisers and Cleaners are used.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewers are an ingenious lot.

This is a list of some of the products uses for cleaning and sanitising.

Cleaners

1. Oxyclean (an industrial version)
2. PBW (Powdered Brewery Wash) - Caked on deposits, similar to oxiclean usage.
3. Bleach Soak (~1c/5gal) When visibly clean, but I want a good single cleaning/sanitizing step
4. Hot water no detergent
5. If it's stainless, BKF.
6. Dish soap.
7. TSP (tri-sodium phosphate solution)
8. dishwasher detergent.Calgonite brand
10. Anti-bacterial dish soap
11.Antiformin S (it's like bleach but with more caustic). It's rapid! A 20% bleach solution makes an excellent cleaner too.
12. BLC for the hoses/connectors/faucets.
13. an unbranded powdered beer line cleaner (not BLC) I get from the LHBS for cleaning my keg lines
14. Straight-A (percarbonate cleaner)

Sanitisers

1. Idophor (a medical version -- Betadine 10% aqueous)
I pay £3 for 500ml and need 1.25ml per litre to make a no rinse solution
Description: If you keep your equipment clean between brews, Iodophor is a great sanitizer. (Your equipment will not be clean if you simply rinse after use. You must use a cleaner, such as TSP.) Iodophor is excellent for stainless steel- which Diversol will corrode- and all other beermaking equipment. Mixed properly and used in a spray bottle, Iodophor is almost magical in its convenience: there's no waiting and no rinsing. Cleaning Iodophor does not clean. Use a cleanser such as TSP before sanitizing with Iodophor. Sanitizing Mix 1 ml per litre of cold water. You must use a syringe for accurate measurement. Use a spray bottle to coat equipment with solution. Shake off excess or allow equipment to drain. Do not rinse. Use the equipment. It's that easy! Cautions When in solution, Iodophor rapidly breaks down. Every time you use it, you must make a fresh solution. Not effective unless mixed accurately. Use a syringe. Will not clean dirty or stained equipment. Hazardous for those with iodine allergies. Concentrated solution stains skin and fabric.

2) Bleach (15mL/gal) + HOT water rinse (Sodium Hypochlorite)

Description: Unscented household bleach can be used as a sanitizer and cleaner. For sanitizing, it is just as effective as Diversol. For cleaning, however, either Diversol or TSP would be preferable. Cleaning Mix 2.5 ml per litre of cold water (1 tbsp. per gal.) and follow the cleaning instructions for Diversol . When rinsing, remove all traces of chlorine smell. Sanitizing Using a solution of 5 ml per litre of cold water (1 tbsp. per gal.) follow the cleaning instructions for Diversol Cautions See above. Don't use scented bleach. Those 'spring fresh' and 'lemony' perfumes will sink into equipment permanently. All subsequent batches will smell and taste like perfume.

3) Autoclave (glassware only) (18psi @ 250˚F for 20min)

4. Starsan- no rinse and I love the foam

5. Diversol (Sani-Brew) Description: As well as being a sanitizer, Diversol has the added benefit of being an extremely effective cleaner. Available under a variety of trade names, you'll recognize Diversol because it is a chlorinated pink powder. Cleaning Dissolve 3.5 g per litre of cold water (5 tsp. per gal). Soak stained equipment up to 48 hours. Rinse thoroughly with hot water. Sanitizing Fill primary fermenter with Diversol solution (3.5 g per litre of cold water [5 tsp. per gal.]). Fully immerse all equipment: hoses, spoons, bungs, hydrometers, thermometers, airlocks, and primary lid. Soak equipment for at least 20 min. Remove lid, rinse carefully (but thoroughly) with hot water and turn it upside-down on the counter. Rinse equipment, placing items inside sanitized lid. To sanitize a carboy: With bung in carboy, slosh 9 litres (2 gal.) Diversol solution all around inside. Repeat twice, with 5 minutes between repetitions. Rinse after 20 min. Cautions Corrodes stainless steel. Can bleach clothing. Do not mix with acids, amines, or ammonia. Such a mixture produces dangerous gases.

6. One Step since it came with my kit. I have not noticed any discernible effects of the two. I use star-san because it can be re-used and I can buy it in larger quantities.

7. 70% Isopropyl Alcohol for little parts

8. Potassium Metabisulphate (
Campden tablets) Potassium metabisulfite is sometimes used in the brewing industry to inhibit the growth of wild yeasts, bacteria, and fungi. This is called 'stabilizing'. It is used both by homebrewers and commercial brewers alike. It is not used as much for brewing beer, because the wort is almost always boiled, which kills most microorganisms anyway.

Great list Orfy. My only comment is that bleach can be used as a cleaner/sanitizer if you give it enough time. I used to soak my primaries o/n with a bleach solution and by the morning they were spotless. PBW is faster so I use that now.

GT

Just to add to the sanitizers (sanitisers:)), I sometimes use 70% Isopropyl Alcohol for little parts (and then rinse with pre-boiled water) and sometimes not-so-little parts when in a jam. But if I remember correctly, I couldn't get that in the UK... I believe it's Surgical Spirit and has more in it than isopropanol and water (and probably cost more than 1£ for a liter... a liter of Isopropyl Alcohol is about $2 in the States).

ADDED

Got Trub? said:
Great list Orfy. My only comment is that bleach can be used as a cleaner/sanitizer if you give it enough time. I used to soak my primaries o/n with a bleach solution and by the morning they were spotless. PBW is faster so I use that now.

GT

Thanks.

That's why bleach is in both lists.

When you sanitize with bleach it's best to mix an equal amount of bleach and vinegar into the water you're sanitizing with. Bleach on its own won't kill certain bacteria unless the water has some acidity to it (hence the vinegar.)

It's important not to mix the vinegar and bleach directly, or you will end up with a nasty toxic cloud. Pour the bleach into the water, mix, then add the vinegar. There's an audio file here http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=radio (March 27th) that breaks it all down.

I've done all my sanitizing with bleach/vinegar and never had a sanitation-induced infection.

I've read dish washer detergent will will leave a film on what is washes. If you sanitize bottles in the washer don't use a detergent. This film will create a static tension on the bottles and make them more susceptible to exploding.

Plus any dishwashing detergent will cut down on head retention if used on your beer glasses.

twocylndr said:
I've read dish washer detergent will will leave a film on what is washes. If you sanitize bottles in the washer don't use a detergent. This film will create a static tension on the bottles and make them more susceptible to exploding.

Plus any dishwashing detergent will cut down on head retention if used on your beer glasses.

I've sanitized in the dishwasher with no problems. As you said, no detergent OR rinsing agent allowed. Usually though I use Oxyclean and Iodophor...

Orfy, you might add Potassium Metabisulphate to that list too -
I know that it is predominately a wine chemical - but as a sanitiser - works bloody miracles

Kilroy

ADDED

i use starsan as a cleaner/sanitiser, if i have a fermenter that has caked on yeast ill add the star san let it sit for a few mins and go at it with the carboy brush works great!

i clean my mash tuns out with it every now and then also

twocylndr said:
I've read dish washer detergent will will leave a film on what is washes.

I'm the person that posted suggesting dishwasher detergent. I've read the same things too and I have no reason to doubt that it's true with some brands of dishwasher detergent. The problem as I understand it is caused by the rinse aid component of the product.

I use a brand called Calgonite. It has no rinse aid, no fragrance and no colours or dyes. If you can't find this brand look for a pack that says something like "for best results make sure you buy our rinse aid" and there's probably no rinse aid in it.

I have no problems with head retention and always have a great lace.

I like it because it's dirt cheap and it does a great job. Wear gloves though, diswasher detergent is not nice for your skin.

I have always used bleach to sanitize my brewing equipment. Star san has got my attention. Can I really fill my fermenter (6.5 gal. plastic bucket) with star san, wait a bit dump it out, and fill with wort? No rinse and no drying? It just sounds too good to be true.

I started using Oxyclean for cleaning. I fill my carboy with it and after a short time, there's nothing left to brush. Awesome!

I switched from bleach to Star San on my last 2 batches. It works fine especially for bottling. No more rinsing. Just fill, let sit for a few minutes and dump out.

Anyone got tricks for cleaning a better bottle? Is oxyclean my best shot? I know not to scrub it.

I just got some brewing equipment from my cousin and there was star san in it this stuff is at least 7 years old does star san go bad?

I've gotten into the routine of using Oxyclean (or B-brite) for carboys and bottles immediately after they are emptied. A short soak, and a rinse or two with tap water, and they can go into storage. Then a quick swish of Iodophor solution (1/2 teaspoon Iodophor to just a little under 1 gallon of water) just before I use them, and in 2 minutes I'm ready to roll.

FYI, I did a little experiment with Iodophor. Once I mixed up my solution and sanitized my bottles, I started filling my bottles as normal. When I got to the last two bottles, I put a tablespoon of the Iodophor solution in each bottle, then filled with beer. Guess what? They carbonated just as well as all the others, and they actually tasted fine. I was shocked that I couldn't even detect any flavor from the Iodophor, and that it didn't hamper the yeast activity. Now I don't sweat getting the last few drops of sanitizer out of the bottles on bottling day. :rockin:

I don't have a link but I read that if it is not drained from 10 bottles and drank then this level weekly is enough to cause problems.
I'm not sure what effect drinking to tablespoons would have. Probably none.

Use Starsan as it makes life as a brewer easy. I purchase Sparkletts 2.5 gallon distilled water and add 1/2 oz Starsan as it does not degrade. I just take the cap off and add 1/2 oz Starsan and shake. The lid will come off and I can replace it and the seal is still good. It stays clear and powerfull as there is nothing in distilled water to lessen Starsan's effectivness. I can use a spray bottle with this solution and know it is effective for weeks.

I use Idophor have not had an infected batch yet.

Primary: Samuel Adams Boston Ale Clone
Primary: Yoopers Fat Tire Clone
Secondary: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: Bavarian Lager, APA, Hard Cider
Drinking: APA
On Deck: Double Chocolate Stout

have you ever used star-san? if so is it ok to rack to secondary if there is still foam in the carbouy?

Don't fear the foam! The amount of sanitizer contained in even a fairly large amount of foam is not enough to impact flavor or kill off an appreciable amount of yeast. :mug:

I've used bleach and have since moved to One Step... my LHBS has it. He doesn't carry StarSan. Does any of the big retail outlets sell it?

Until now I have used Iodophore to sanitize, but as soon as my current bottle runs out, I will be ordering some StarSan. My LHBS only carries Iodophore, but I am tired of all my lines turning that nasty brownish color if I leave then to soak for any time at all. I also like the thought of being able to hold StarSan for a longer time than you can with Iodophore.

One question about Oxiclean, how much would you use to clean a carboy? If I read the canister right, it is saying one scoop per gallon for tough stuff, but that seems excessive. Are you just using one scoop per carboy?

rabidgerbil said:
One question about Oxiclean, how much would you use to clean a carboy? If I read the canister right, it is saying one scoop per gallon for tough stuff, but that seems excessive. Are you just using one scoop per carboy?
Not even a full scoop. I use about one tablespoon for a full carboy. It's enough to float off all the dead yeasties (the krauesen ring) after a good long soak.

What about clorox wipes for workspace surface sanitation? I use them often and they are good for quick cleanups and surface prep, though a little on the expensive side.
I also use lysol to sanitize the area around where I brew.
Important to note though is not to allow contact with the actual fermenter & brewing equipment, and the flammability of the lysol spray.

I use wipes to pre clean my work area. I hit the work surface, door handles, cabinet handles ... faucets.

Come to think of it with all of this sanitation no one in the house has had a cold this year ! Have to mention this to SWMBO as a major benefit of brewing.

Quick question about PBW. It says to use water 100-160 degrees F. I was told of temperature shock can lead to breaking glass carboys. Is this temperature range ok or should I do something else?

Steiner said:
Quick question about PBW. It says to use water 100-160 degrees F. I was told of temperature shock can lead to breaking glass carboys. Is this temperature range ok or should I do something else?
Glass can be heated safely if it is heated slowly. I'd start the water luke-warm and let it get warmer as it fills. DO NOT DUMP BOILING WATER INTO COLD GLASS! (unless its pyrex, of course)

How about using a denture cleaner to for hard to reach places. I was thinking of using Polident to clean my keg system. You can get a good size box of Polident at BJ's Whole Sale Club.

Polident cleans and sanitizes as well as being food grade.

Jolly McStanson said:
How about using a denture cleaner to for hard to reach places. I was thinking of using Polident to clean my keg system. You can get a good size box of Polident at BJ's Whole Sale Club.

Polident cleans and sanitizes as well as being food grade.

I'm not sure if I should be repulsed or stupefied at this...being a semi-youngster and all. (Although I have an awful lot of dental work)

From what I've read, denture cleaners contain ingredients like perborate (Borax) bleach (Hypochlorite) or Persulfate (Sulfur) as active ingredients.

So just buying bulk bleach would probably be more effective.

I've been rinsing with bleach, is this necessary? I usually do it because whatever I soak in bleach smells like it, and I can't imagine that that is ideal. Anyone know?

Yes, rinsing thoroughly is a good idea with bleach. I have heard some advocate rinseless bleach sanitization, but you really have to know what you are doing. To be safe, always rinse at least two or three times if you use bleach. Its biggest downside is that if you leave residual bleach behind, it can easily lead to off flavours in your beer.

+1 for Starsan. I always mix with distilled water only as that makes it last a long time.

I check the pH of my solution every time I use it to make sure it's around 3. An easier (though not as effective) way to check is to see if the solution is cloudy. That usually means it's reached a level where it cannot sanitize properly.

I suggest when you buy in bulk if you decide to try. I can't see myself using anything else. :mug:

Has anyone used NuFoam to sanitize? These are tablets that are used in bars and they dissolve and turn blue.

Back