DIY Bazooka T

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2ndstorey

Reaction score
After many builds from how-to's on this site, it is time for me to contribute something. Lets make a Bazooka T.
First the parts list:
1- water heater supply line- 18"
3- Stainless Steel hose clamps. 2- 1" and 1- 1/2"
1- Copper T 1" with a 1/2" leg
1- 1/2 " 90 degree elbow
1- 1/2" threaded fitting

8841-IMG_2978.jpg

Lets cut the ends off of the hose and then pull the center out by PUSHING the braid off of the hose.

8841-IMG_2981.jpg

8841-IMG_2982.jpg

Now for the elbow
8841-IMG_2993.jpg

Solder it. I did this on the stove. It's a little ugly but works.
8841-IMG_2994.jpg

Cut a slit in the T for compression onto the elbow.
8841-IMG_2996.jpg

How many times have you used the one you made? I'm interested in knowing about long-term performance. What kind of hops did you use? Why did you make your so short?

I built it last night and will be brewing with it on Sunday. I will also be using a hop bag that sits on top of the keggle to contain pellet hops. I think long term use will be fine based on the amount of mashes you can get with the smaller half inch braid used for toilets. I know that this looks small but from end to end it is almost a foot long. The braid is about an inch wide.

I made a bazooka screen for my keggle and used pellet hops. Just about the same total length as what you have, maybe a bit longer.

Uh, nope. I got *maybe* a half-cup of wort out before it plugged. I ended up lifting the keg and dumping it into the bucket.

It looks good but the only thing I would say is if it's not at the lowest part of the kettle then you'll loose wort.

If all else fails then there is always the good old scrubby.

pict0001b210713df0.jpg

orfy said:
If all lse fails then there is always the good old scrubby.

PICT0001.JPG

I bought some scrubbys this weekend on your recommendation. Figured that the scrubby and the Lil' Sparky HopSock would give me the filtering I need.

the_bird said:
I made a bazooka screen for my keggle and used pellet hops. Just about the same total length as what you have, maybe a bit longer.

Uh, nope. I got *maybe* a half-cup of wort out before it plugged. I ended up lifting the keg and dumping it into the bucket.

And if you've ever seen a picture of Bird's arms, you'd know why I'm LOL'ing.

I'm going to use the T for the cold break and the bit of hops that always gets out of the strainer bag and contain most of the hops in one of these:
IMGP3177.jpg

Can anyone attest to the durability and efficiency of this design? I use whole hops so I'm not too worried about it clogging... I wasn't sure if time revealed any latent design defects. Thanks!

ps. Sorry to bring the thread back from the dead!

I'd like to know how this will work with just whole hops. I made one using a 1" diameter, 12" long SS braid (not using a T junction). I brewed a batch of beer using a combo of pellets and whole leaf hops. Like a previous post, I got about a cup of wort out before it completely clogged. Ended up having to pour the wort into the fermenter through a funnel with a ss strainer. Messy.

So if I just used whole hops, how would it work?

Thanks.

Back