Come All Ye with Thy Wiring & Electrical Hats Snugly Fit!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deacon1856

Reaction score
PICS UPDATED ON THE FINAL PAGE!

Hello. I believe this is my 100th post. I think it is anyway. I'll just say it is b/c I don't want to check. So HOORAY!! It's my 100th post! So here's the situation:

I have an addictive personality. When I get something in my head I can't get it out until I've found resolution. This proves to be especially troublesome when that which I need completed requires skills that I do not possess. Such is the case today.

I have this idea. I'm not sure it's feasible, but I think it might be because I'm almost sure I've seen it someplace else. In one form or another. Anyway, I need help to bring this to fruition. That's where all you electrical gurus come in.

Here it is: I would like to put a Love Control TSS2-2100 (dual stage controller) and a regular 2 plug outlet into a project box and be able to plug my freezer and my heat source into the plugs to control them. This seems to eliminate the need to tear apart a freezer and gives me the option to use it on other things as well. Is SEEMS simple enough to me, but I'm not electrically inclined.

If someone would be willing to help me out in figuring out a wiring diagram of some kind to get this done, I would offer something in return. Perhaps graphic design services or maybe copies of some of my DVD's (you know, as a permanent off-site back-up for part of my collection...just in case :mug:).

Anyway, if that makes sense, and someone could help a brotha out I would be deeply grateful. If you know of another place that has already done this, please let me know and I will bother no more!

Please feel free to post questions or comments. I am happy to oblige. I now humbly offer the floor to those MANY of you out there whose knowledge of these matters MIGHTILY DWARFS that of my own.

Deacon

pretty easy.

Get a regular outlet. On the side where the screws are, one side will be brass, the other nickel (gold and white for further explanation)

On the gold side, break the little tab that connects the two screw sections together. Do not break the tab on the white screw side.

From your extension cord:
Green: Ground to the metal case if you're using one and to the Green screw on the outlet.
White: Neutral To both the Love controller voltage Pin 7 and the one of the white screws on the outlet.
Black: Into Pin 8 on the controller, then a jumper out to the "COMMON" terminal Pin 10.

Other wires: I'd either use a different color or black with two colors of tape: Make sure they're 14Ga or bigger.
From Pin 9 terminal on the LOVE to one of the gold screws.
From pin 11 terminal to the other gold screw.

Mark your outlets so you know which is which, without having a controller in my hand to tell which is heat and which is chill, I cant tell you.

Tada. Now post pics when you're done.

*Standard disclaimer: If you don't know what you're doing with electricity, don't F with it. Pay a Professional.

Wow...ask and ye shall receive...this is going to happen! I will let you know how it goes and we'll work out your professional fee!

One more quick question...I'm not sure which one of those TSS2's I actually need. There are so many. I just assumed the first one. Do I need:

115 VAC
230 VAC
12 VAC/DC
24 VAC/DC

I don't want to get the wrong one...

Being an IBEW electrician, I can tell you that if you don't know what you are doing, don't mess around with it. You can get killed or kill somebody or burn your house down.

Here it is: I would like to put a Love Control TSS2-2100 (dual stage controller) and a regular 2 plug outlet into a project box and be able to plug my freezer and my heat source into the plugs to control them. This seems to eliminate the need to tear apart a freezer and gives me the option to use it on other things as well. Is SEEMS simple enough to me, but I'm not electrically inclined.

I can't help you with a wiring diagram, because you have a different controller, but I can provide you with some inspiration for the housing.

controller.jpg

Love TS-13010 Temperature Controller - Lustreking Brewing

That is actually the setup that I saw! I lost the website but there it is. SWEET. I actually just opened the box with my controller in it, so this is getting ready to happen! Possibly this weekend.

I can appreciate the warnings. I definitely don't want to burn my house down. I know enough to be going along, just not enough to do it for a living. Experience is the best teacher and I feel like if there are people with good advice and guidance, there's really no better way to learn than to just do it.

Black to # 4, 7, 10.
White to #5 and the white screw on the outlet.

Depending on the programming:
From either 6 or 8 to one brass screw on the outlet
either 9 or 11 to the other brass screw.
(you use either 6&9 or 8&11)
One set is always on, and the controller shuts them off, and the other set is always off, and the controller turns them on. Without knowing exactly how the controller works, I'd suggest starting with 8&11.

Wire it all up, program the controller, then test it with a lamp. Have a cup of hot water and a cup of ice water ready to test the temp with. Once you have the controller programmed, dunk the temp probe into one of the cups, and see which outlet does what when your programmed temp is reached.

B

Being an IBEW electrician, I can tell you that if you don't know what you are doing, don't mess around with it. You can get killed or kill somebody or burn your house down.

Good to hear from another IBEW brother or sister on this forum, there are three that I know of. What part of the country are you in?

I'm forced into early retirement from a job related back injury now at 55 from local 595 Alameda County, Calif. The east side of San Francisco bay. Cheers and great to hear from a fellow brother or sister. You heating with gas or electric?

Electricity; if you can't find it, it can sure find you.

What hurt me once was while in Southern Spain in the bathroom their wiring codes are about zero vs NEC. In the dark 3:00 am headed to the thunder mug to take a leak. A few loose bare wires hanging above the wall divider in the dark hit my ear and shoulder.
Nothing like a 50 cycle growl vs our 60 cycle buzz plus being 230 volt over there gets your attention real quick.
Mexico another death trap as well those photos i've seen in India.

I get my 30 year pin next month. Cheers to all the other IBEW member on this forum. We are special, not in the little white short bus kind of way, you know what I mean.

It's taken me MUCH too long to get this thread wrapped up. Life gets in the way sometimes though, right?

So anyway, thanks to the MAJOR unselfishness of Brett and of Dwyer Instruments, my temperature controller is now a working BEAST.

I have for your viewing enjoyment, PICS:

CoolerLong.jpg

Cooler.jpg

TempController.jpg

InsideCooler.jpg

Thanks SO MUCH to everyone who helped me out on this. It's a testament to the greatness of this board. I appreciate it so much.

Back