CIP Pump question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junkaboy

Reaction score
Hello

I am in the process of designing a brewstand (brutus 10 style for 100 liters - ~27 gallons), and I was thinking about using it as a CIP system as well. Both to clean itself up, and also use it to clean my fementers.

My idea was to use the same pumps used for brewing (I plan on having 2 pumps) for the CIP system. But now my question is:

Is the March 809 HS enough? Or should I try and get something stronger for the job?

What about the "ball" or spray thing? Any suggestion on affordable and decent choices?

Thanks a lot and happy brewing.

I use the 809 on a 10 gallon CIP setup with a 3/8" 4.2 gal/min 120 degree spray nozzle.

3282kp1s.gif

Works great for cleaning 1/2 bbl kegs and pots...

Hmmm, that looks very nice.

So I assume your 809 is taking care of the job.

Do you have any pictures of your setup?

Thanks for the help.

So I assume your 809 is taking care of the job.

Ya, it works great. The pump/nozzle combination will spray PBW in a ~6ft circle, left uncovered.

Do you have any pictures of your setup?

Sorry, I'm on vacation at the moment...The cleaning portion of the rig is based on the 809, spray nozzle, and loc-line tubing. The loc-line tubing is so I can reposition the nozzle for cleaning different types of kegs.

Man, that has mega gizmo style. First rig I've ever seen to use composite decking!

First rig I've ever seen to use composite decking!

Ha...Ya, I randomly saw a stack of 2" x 8' composite decking boards on clearance at Lowes for $6/board and figured it was too good to pass up. No worries about rotting or mildewing. Pretty obvious since I didn't even bother to paint it. :D

I had originally planned to pay a welder to fabricate a stand but decided I'd have more fun building it myself...

Also the first I've seen to incorporate a cleaning station!

2 questions:

1) How do you keep the foam down when recircing PBW? (My keg cleaner uses a pretty big pump so it foams like crazy...I wonder if I'm the only one)

2) Ever try sparging with the nozzle?

1) How do you keep the foam down when recircing PBW? (My keg cleaner uses a pretty big pump so it foams like crazy...I wonder if I'm the only one)

PBW doesn't foam with adequate heat. Never been a problem.

I believe the PBW spec sheet says "no foaming past 100F". I use the RIMS heater to maintain 160F for mash tun, boil kettle, and keg CIP.

2) Ever try sparging with the nozzle?

Never considered it since the nozzle has a 120° spray pattern and would likely soak/scald me in the process. :D

I consistently hit 85+% efficiency with the float valve adjusted to maintain ~2 inches of sparge water above the top of the grain bed.

Back