BREWtality

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Couevas

Reaction score
Well.....here she is. My 3-tier, gravity fed brew sculpture named BREWtality. She works great. Have 4 batches through her and still dialing in the efficiency. Be sure to check out the keggle mounting system....pretty good idea if I do say so myself.

Tower2.jpg

Tower1.jpg

IMG_2331.JPG

Tower3.jpg
Represent!!!:rockin:

how have you been a member since for only 2 months and already have a bumper sticker? I still don't have mine!

I don't know why you guys don't have yours yet.
Maybe it's because the mods know you guys don't have anything this pretty to stick it to ;) jk

Really though, what do you guys think of my rig?
I am especially proud of the keggle mounting system. They are far more secure than shelves and cut the weight of the overall system down considerably.

the keggle mounting system looks like a great way to go. I just hope it's not too wobbly at the base with all that stress on one joint, but then, I don't know much about how strong a weld can be. If It's working for you that's all that matters (I still don't have any such sculpture). cheers.

What a piece of **** that thing is. hehe... j/k. I like it. Multi-tier wasn't for me, but I do appreciate the simplicity of gravity and the smaller horizontal footprint. Wortmonger did a similar mount for his kegs but I think he just used bolts.

All welds are plenty strong. I knew ther would be no problem, but nevertheless, I filled each keggle to the brim (15.5 gallons or approx. 160 pounds each). With all three full, there was an estimated 480 pounds on the system. This is way more than it will ever see since there will never be more than 15.5 gallons and maybe 30 pounds of grain in it at any given time.

Like I said though, I was never worried. I have an engineering degree from Cal Poly San Luis Obispo (top 5 eng. school in US) that told me it would be more than adequate.

WOW, that was very EAC of me. :D

I just can not see climbing up there to fix problems or stir something. I like everything close to earth. Besides, if you fall then it is more expensive at the ICU.

I step up on my stool toolbox and stir no problem. My HLT I can't reach into but that is no problem when you take it down to clean it or something. I love using gravity on my HLT and MT to get to the kettle. The space saving is the best part though IMHO, very small footprint.

I like the simplicity of the gravity fed system and plumbing, as well as the initial investment.

That being said, I plan on tearing it down in the next year or so and going horizontal. I don't mind cluimbing the ladder, but I almost fell off when I brewed the 999 carrying the 5 gallon jugs.

Also, I want to get a march pump design in the works so that I can build in a recirculation system.

I think I can satisfy all my needs with just one pump. I have some ideas that I need to sketch out....but I want to get the plumbing and valving right to use only one pump for transfer, vorlaufing, and MLT heat control/addition.

The tinkering never stops..........

Well.....here she is. My 3-tier, gravity fed brew sculpture named BREWtality. She works great. Have 4 batches through her and still dialing in the efficiency. Be sure to check out the keggle mounting system....pretty good idea if I do say so myself.

View attachment 5462

View attachment 5463

View attachment 5465

View attachment 5464
Represent!!!:rockin:

I give that project a A++ in it being simple and clean to the point of function as designed.

Two things I question that I would add if it were mine; first added 9" long legs to both sides of the bottom rails 90 degrees outward where the vertical tower meets preventing any torquing side to side. The length of that base looks long enough to cause this torquing action.
Second I would add one 4" gusset to each eide of the tower to base preventing any flexing and torque to those short lengths of welds to the base. The stress moment with that kind of weight can add up real high.

Just a suggestion as I have worked around box tubing for years and have seen flex fractures next to the weld heat zone on installations were any one item like flexing, torque and vibration are involved before adding heat cycles.

Still a great stand.

Couevas said:
I like the simplicity of the gravity fed system and plumbing, as well as the initial investment.

That being said, I plan on tearing it down in the next year or so and going horizontal. I don't mind cluimbing the ladder, but I almost fell off when I brewed the 999 carrying the 5 gallon jugs.

Also, I want to get a march pump design in the works so that I can build in a recirculation system.
I think I can satisfy all my needs with just one pump. I have some ideas that I need to sketch out....but I want to get the plumbing and valving right to use only one pump for transfer, vorlaufing, and MLT heat control/addition.

The tinkering never stops..........

Your transition from a 3-tier to single-tier is nearly the same as mine. I actually got the pump first, started recirculating the mash, and said "Hey, I don't need gravity anymore." I use quick disconnects on the pump hoses, kettle valves, and recirculation fittings. Moving from one step to the next is a snap.

Now a friend's got the 3-tier and I enjoy brewing on the single-tier that much more. Here's a pic of both in action. Notice, I don't need a step ladder with the new stand. ;)

Back