$25 (shipped) submersible probe thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Digital Readout Thermometer w/36" Waterproof Probe NEW - eBay (item 280267788939 end time Feb-13-09 06:46:40 PST)

thinking about getting this instead of paying $50 with shipping for the traceable. any comments?

my self-waterproofed "meat" thermometers are crapping out on me, so i want to get something that's meant to be submersible.

Personally, this is what I am using. I have left the probe completely submerged for the duration of the boil with no problems. The accuracy is good and is selectable between Fahrenheit and Celsius. Price is good too.
General MDP300PP Mini Digital Panel Meter with External Sensor General Tools & Instruments Formerly Mannix MDP300PP MDP 300PP

nice, that one works out to a dollar less shipped, and it has a suction cup and an endorsement!

thanks.

Do you guys know if that probe is rated for submersion? Bull8042 how many times have you used it? I could use a new thermometer and would like to get one that will last a while. Thanks.

Do you guys know if that probe is rated for submersion? Bull8042 how many times have you used it? I could use a new thermometer and would like to get one that will last a while. Thanks.

I have used them for the last dozen or so brews. I always leave one in the mash for the duration as well as one in the boil. No problems whatsoever....
They are well sealed around the cable and probe, which is molded in.

after three brews mine is currently reading 100+ degrees off. i'm about to e-mail them about this.

Odd. I still haven't had the first problem with mine.
I don't mean to ask a stupid question or be sarcastic, but when you turn it on, it defaults to Celsius. You didn't forget to switch it to Fahrenheit did you?

Odd. I still haven't had the first problem with mine.
I don't mean to ask a stupid question or be sarcastic, but when you turn it on, it defaults to Celsius. You didn't forget to switch it to Fahrenheit did you?

nope, it's fahrenheit. doesn't look like they're going to replace it either.

Just a follow up on this for anyone considering buying.

I bought two of these and the one used in my brew kettle is dead after about about 5 uses. Not dead as much as it's just off by about 50 degrees.

The other one still works however I've retired these and went to a different set of thermometers.

I'm confused about which one you ended up getting- the ebay one or the General Tools one? How did you self-waterproof your other one? silicone tubing?

Just a follow up on this for anyone considering buying.

I bought two of these and the one used in my brew kettle is dead after about about 5 uses. Not dead as much as it's just off by about 50 degrees.

The other one still works however I've retired these and went to a different set of thermometers.

I am sorry to hear that. Honestly, I have left my "General" probe submerged for the duration of the boil and mash dozens of times with nary a problem. My luck dictates that I could NOT have gotten an exceptionally well-constructed probe, so I am inclined to believe that you just got a crappy one.

Latest posts

Back