What came in the mail for you today?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Received my Apera PH60 meter and extra cal solutions from Amazon. I had the meter in my wish list and it was >$100 for quite a while. Then it dropped to $79 and I pulled the trigger.

Saw your post and checked the price. Still $79 so I picked one up too. Happy with it?

Saw your post and checked the price. Still $79 so I picked one up too. Happy with it?

Very happy with it. It's very stable, when calibrating it's off only a few hundredths or so. No idea of the accuracy, as I don't have a good lab model to compare.

I'm told the probes will last 1-1/2 to 2 years. Amazon has replacements for around $30.

Very happy with it. It's very stable, when calibrating it's off only a few hundredths or so. No idea of the accuracy, as I don't have a good lab model to compare.

I'm told the probes will last 1-1/2 to 2 years. Amazon has replacements for around $30.

Sweet. I was waffling on a new Milwaukee but at this price this one seems hard to beat. Thanks!

IMG_4069.jpeg

Sweet. I was waffling on a new Milwaukee but at this price this one seems hard to beat. Thanks!
Get it!!!!

I've used the Apera for about 5 years and it is, hands down, the easiest, least fussy meter I've ever used. It's way faster and far easier to calibrate than my old Milwaukees. Whereas pH measurements were a chore with the Milwaukees, the Apera has made pH measurement as routine and easy as taking gravity readings with a refractor. It's a really good piece of kit.

I grabbed the Apera in large part because the probes were really reasonable. I replaced my first probe out of caution at the 2-year mark, but it still had a solid drift over two weeks. My second probe is coming up on the 3-year mark and still has a solid drift over two weeks. I am pretty scrupulous about maintaining the instrument, though.

Get it!!!!

I've used the Apera for about 5 years and it is, hands down, the easiest, least fussy meter I've ever used. It's way faster and far easier to calibrate than my old Milwaukees. Whereas pH measurements were a chore with the Milwaukees, the Apera has made pH measurement as routine and easy as taking gravity readings with a refractor. It's a really good piece of kit.

I grabbed the Apera in large part because the probes were really reasonable. I replaced my first probe out of caution at the 2-year mark, but it still had a solid drift over two weeks. My second probe is coming up on the 3-year mark and still has a solid drift over two weeks. I am pretty scrupulous about maintaining the instrument, though.

Thats great to hear. I had the MW102 but I stopped using it because the handheld module with the tethered probe was kind of cumbersome for me. Calibration was kind of a pain like you said. End up selling it. Was looking at their pocket meters, but waffled. Glad I saw the posts about this meter. Thanks for the info, reassures my impulse purchase. Hah

Amazon is saying mine delivered today so I'm pump.

According to my Amazon history I bought my Apera ph60 in October of 2018. I've replaced the sensor twice over the years and was pleased with the relatively low price ($28) compared to what I paid for a Hach Pocket Pro Plus sensor ($70!) and the Hannah 98128 sensor before that ($80!)...

Cheers!

The motherlode came in the mail today!

A while back I sent MaxStout some expired Kolsch yeast that purchased during the pandemic. Today, I found a big ol' envelope full of coasters and brewing stickers. Those of you familiar with the "What Are You Drinking Now?" thread might guess what happened next.

Time to pimp the red toolbox!
IMG_4247.jpeg

Now that right there, that's a properly dapper red toolbox.
IMG_4248.jpeg

Thank you, Max! You put a smile on my face that nearly cracked it in half! :bigmug:

My second probe is coming up on the 3-year mark and still has a solid drift over two weeks. I am pretty scrupulous about maintaining the instrument, though.

On further reflection, I lied about this. I was not "scrupulous about maintaining the instrument."

Rather, when I drove from DC to Oregon last Fall, I took the Apera with me because an old buddy of mine that recently took the AG plunge needed some water chemistry help. I tossed the Apera in its plastic mini-briefcase into the trunk of my Miata and drove across our country's shameful, pothole-infested, interstates. Stupidly, I left it in the trunk of my car in the Texas panhandle on a night that plunged into the upper 20's. When I got to Oregon, it only occurred to me on the morning of my friend's brew day that my pH probe had been subjected to sub-zero temps and the hell of America's neglected roads. Luckily, it didn't seem to mind and booted up with .06 of drift against calibration after about eight weeks of inactivity.

I made the return leg in the teeth of winter and having realized my close escape, I kept the Apera in my clothes duffel such that it overnighted in my hotel room and wasn't exposed to sub-zero temps. Nevertheless, the worst was ahead. I took I-40 through Tennessee. It has to be the single most shameful highway in the entire United States. Cars and Semis with blown tires were as common as cars on the side of the road chaining up for a mountain pass. Tractor trailers were actually going full evasive to dodge pot holes. Get your stuff together, Tennessee, this is a humiliating abrogation of your responsibility. I left Tennessee with a destroyed ABS sensor, but the Apera arrived back home in DC with .04 of drift after eight weeks without calibration.

It's, without any question, the absolute best pH meter I've ever used.

Get your stuff together, Tennessee, this is a humiliating abrogation of your responsibility.

Haha. Well, I did read that we are one of the leading states of gov. corruption so you can't expect much. Did you get a chance to take 840? You can almost get some air on a few overpasses...

Glad the Apera made it. Calibration was stupid easy - I love the laminate instruction card with pictures.

Haha. Well, I did read that we are one of the leading states of gov. corruption so you can't expect much. Did you get a chance to take 840? You can almost get some air on a few overpasses...

Glad the Apera made it. Calibration was stupid easy - I love the laminate instruction card with pictures.
I'm sold. This will be my upgrade. Whenever I get around to upgrading. 🙂

I'm sold. This will be my upgrade. Whenever I get around to upgrading. 🙂

While I haven't used it for a brew yet, I am impressed with the build quality/feel of it. Calibration is super easy and repeat checks were spot on. Mine was manufactured 4/2024 so they're shipping newly made units.

Latest posts

Back