Spot the Space Station

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That has to be a before picture. At T+57:40 you start to see tiles fly by, and at T+58:00 on it's mass destruction of the lower hinge area. I don't see any tiles missing in that picture.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, parts were shredding off that flap during decent. Still incredible it functioned but the heat was less as it was coming down.

I can’t find stats on the landing precision for falcon boosters but they seem to be good enough for chopstick catching from videos I’ve seen. View attachment 850306
I agree that the Falcon 9 has great landing capabilities but it has landing legs coming down on a pad/drone ship.

The starship booster needs to be caught between the chopsticks, a much more difficult maneuver. I'm confused if the booster chopsticks catch it at the flaps, the grid fins or those pins in the sides?

Come to think of it, that picture has to be a "before" as they didn't have an opportunity to get an "after"...

It looks like there are small features just below the booster's grid fins that will catch on the chopsticks. Here's a pretty cool animation...

Come to think of it, that picture has to be a "before" as they didn't have an opportunity to get an "after"...

It looks like there are small features just below the booster's grid fins that will catch on the chopsticks. Here's a pretty cool animation...

I have noticed those post/pin pieces on the booster but thought they served a different purpose. Still it doesn't seem an easy catch, the booster has to orient itself so those posts line up at the top of the chop stuck arm rails. Not impossible considering all the control it goes through.

I wonder what mechanism the ship has? I'm going have to look closer.

Thanks for the video!

Back