Gardening 2024 - Whatcha got going on this year?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the peppers (40), tomatoes (44), and eggplant (6) into the ground this weekend, seeded yellow and green beans near the peppers Cleaned out the pollinator bed and interspersed a native pollinator mix. Trimmed two branches off the neighbors tree that were blocking my light! Overwatered my cucumber starts and replanted so still need to get them in the ground. Going to clean out those ne'er do well strawberries soon and plant squash, rapini, and amaranth. Oregano, tarragon, and sage overwintered and I have basil, thyme, bergamot, dill, cilantro, and marjoram seedlings in the greenhouse. Herbs have been fussy, I probably have overwatered them at critical times. I'm thinking they get dampened off after sprouting.

A lot of the hard work done. Looking forward to watching things grow and getting some time to brew!
1716903316957.jpeg

1716903342494.jpeg

1716903362442.jpeg

Almost entirely planted. I didn't consistently water that bed where the lettuces are and the germination was poor. Probably need to reseed it. Tore out those pitiful strawberries and planted zukes, crooknecks, pattypans and salad cucumbers, with pickling cucumber starts also planted near the lettuces. Picked some bok choy, garlic scapes, and peapods for some lo mein tonight.
1717458842643.jpeg

1717458869389.jpeg

IMG_5688.jpeg

Got the 50'x50' bird netting installed over three neighboring Rainier cherry trees, and will net one additional tree after work tonight, securing four of our 10 Rainier trees for us (and friends) Should net us somewhere between 50-80 quarts of fresh cherries in the next 2-4 weeks. The remaining six trees will feed the birds this year, as one can only consume/preserve/share so many cherries

IMG_5687.jpeg

Got the melons transplanted yesterday - a bit over a week later than I had hoped for thanks to being sick and then several days of high winds.

Several varieties of musk melons including Ananas, Charentais, and Rocky Ford, plus Cracker Jack seedless watermelon and its pollinator Sugar Baby.

View attachment 850249

Got the melons transplanted yesterday - a bit over a week later than I had hoped for thanks to being sick and then several days of high winds.

Several varieties of musk melons including Ananas, Charentais, and Rocky Ford, plus Cracker Jack seedless watermelon and its pollinator Sugar Baby.
So are seedless watermelons the result of crossbreeding varieties that then produce sterile(seedless) fruits?

Back