Pepsi Cooler Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm going to be checking these out today after 5PM to see if they will be suitable as Fermentation coolers.

The key will be how many carboys/cornies will they hold. And what, if any, other usable space will be available.

If anyone in the PHX area wants to join me, send me a PM. These are located in the I-17 Dunlap area.

These are $199 each.
There is a deal if 2 or more are purchased ($175).

0101060103110104042007072037da41f44159be9fbd006d4e.jpg

If I had the space for it I'd buy one with ya! Having that would almost be tempting to start bottling again (imagining that full of various brews!)

:rockin:

I have one very similar. Mine is a True GDM-33. I can fit 2 6.5 gallon carboys and 1 5 gallon in it. It will easily hold 6 cornies. The only drawback is the sliding door. It is only 14.75 inches wide when opened. Most of the conical fermenters are wider so they won't fit. I would measure this if I were you. I have mine up for sale now as I just turned a closet into an air conditioned fermentation cellar.

jdoiv said:
I have one very similar. Mine is a True GDM-33. I can fit 2 6.5 gallon carboys and 1 5 gallon in it. It will easily hold 6 cornies. The only drawback is the sliding door. It is only 14.75 inches wide when opened. Most of the conical fermenters are wider so they won't fit. I would measure this if I were you. I have mine up for sale now as I just turned a closet into an air conditioned fermentation cellar.

Yea (conical) that could be around the corner. Can the door be removed or is that a PITA?

olllllo said:
Yea (conical) that could be around the corner. Can the door be removed or is that a PITA?

I called True to see if there was a outward swinging door that could be mounted and they said no. The cabinet wouldn't support the door. You may be able to build one, but it would be a major pain.

I was looking at buying a conical from TMS and going the DIY route but it was going to get expensive for it to be of the right size. I do 10 gallon batches and wanted to use just one fermenter per batch. None of the conical hoppers are narrow enough at the volume I wanted without having to weld another cylinder to the top. I'm now thinking of turning it into a kegerator if I can get it fixed cheap enough (compressor finally died after 6 years).

I suggest taking a tape measure with you and researching the conicals out there to get an idea of whether or not it will fit.

I thought maybe the doors could be removed (temporarily) like patio doors for conical access. I'll be bringing a tape and carboys and cornies. I have 7g conical measurements, but no real good way of understanding how it moves in space (fits in)

Alright, here's the scoop.

It's the TRUE GDM - 41 taken from Albertsons. I'd guess he has a dozen.
Internal measurements are 43.25"L x 18.25"W x 30"H
It has a 1/2 HP compressor with which he will stand by for 30 days.

As jdoiv imparted it can hold 3 6.5g caboys no problem once the shelves are removed with room to spare. It has 2 sets of slider doors on each side which can be removed for access. I'd say that it could hold a dozen cornies.

Price is $199 for one or $175 for 2 or more.

If I were to go this route I'd definately secondary in cornies.

Any one in PHX ready to take advantage of this with me????
I want to pull the trigger on this in the next week or so. I'm sure they'll be around for awhile, but I have SWMBO sign off and you gotta strike while the iron is hot.

Man you are going to love that thing, I have a big 2 door that I use for my kegerator:
1332-P1010040.JPG

Since that pic was taken I have filled the whole bottom with cornies and changed out the old taps with Perlicks.

Plug them in to make sure they work. Mine just died after 6 years of service. A new compressor will run around $700.

Here it is with 2 doors off. As you can see, It easily holds 4 fermenters!

3712-CIMG0714.JPG

I started peelin off the stickers from my old rig this morning. Most of them stuck right back on the new one.

3712-CIMG0716.JPG

The Blatz got a litle stretched out. But it still works.
3712-CIMG0715.JPG

Thats a good deal. I found one just like it at a antique store and the guy wanted $500. What a rip off. Would love one of those two door coolers but the washing machine shot craps.

ok, olllllo. That is a beautiful thing. I should have gotten one with you and stuck my chest freezer in the shed. Putting the fermenters in that is going to be soooo much easier than the freezer...

Bobby_M said:
Man, you're one of those ****** bags that can eat off the garage floor? Dang.

I'm just kidding. I'm so jealous... I can't keep the garage clean to save my life.

It has been an evolution.
It starts with putting your stuff in those 12g split-lidded totes.
We had the open shelves for alot of years and finally made the investment in the cabinets.

As for the floor. We got a free upgraded epoxy seal floor at our last place. It was one of those things that I would have never paid for, but now that I have it, I wouldn't dream of being without it.

It makes keeping things clean really easy. Just hose it out, since all of the cabinets are 6" off the floor. Then we use a giant squeegee to dry the floor.

If I lived in your part of the world, I guess having a drain in the garage floor would be really handy.

Back