Help diagnose a problem - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Help diagnose a problem

Old 06-05-2006, 05:50 PM   #1
jeffg

Recipes 

Jan 2006
Boston, MA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

OK, I need a little help. My last two all grain beers have been way off on their original gravities. I have been all grain brewing for a long time and I have never missed my target gravity by more than 2-5 gravity points. I've done five or so batches since December that have all been perfect, and all of a sudden the last two batches have been off by 8-10 points . As far as I can tell, I have not varied my technique at all, although I have been shooting for 5.5 gallons instead of 5 but have been accounting for the difference in my recipes. I have two new thermometers to maintain mash.

I am beginning to think it is my grain. the only two things in common these beers have is they came from the same bulk order. I always order pre-crushed and it looks to me like the base malt is very poorly crushed (lots of whole grains). Sadly, I did not notice this until after I started mashing this past weekend.

Would this account for a low gravity of this magnitude? This is an entirely new problem to me.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Bottled: Salvator Dopplebock
Up Next: Octoberfest

Old 06-05-2006, 06:09 PM   #2
Blender

Recipes 

Jan 2006
Santa Cruz, CA.
Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I have limited experience ( 5 batches) but the quality of your crush certainly can affect efficiency. I have read a lot of threads where people have the same problem you describe and when they got a better crush efficiency went up considerably. I personally have seen the difference in the 2 shops I use for grains. I'm getting a crusher very soon.

Old 06-05-2006, 06:33 PM   #3
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2005
Knob Noster, Missouri
Liked 87 Times on 70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffg
Would this account for a low gravity of this magnitude? This is an entirely new problem to me.
Certainly, it is the crush affecting the efficiency.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

whip Likes This 
Old 06-05-2006, 06:36 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Willamina & Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 151 Times on 142 Posts

Crushing to the correct size is very important. There should be very few if any whole grains in pre-crushed barley. Time to get out the rolling pin.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

whip Likes This 
Old 06-05-2006, 07:15 PM   #5
jeffg

Recipes 

Jan 2006
Boston, MA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I can't believe I did not notice it on the first go around. Looks like I will be going back to Williams for my crushed grain, or buying a mill.

Would light duty in a food processor work? I only have one batch left and it's about 10 lbs of grain.
Bottled: Salvator Dopplebock
Up Next: Octoberfest

Old 06-19-2016, 02:37 PM   #6
whip
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Sep 2015
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffg View Post
Would light duty in a food processor work? I only have one batch left and it's about 10 lbs of grain.

NOOOOOOO ! ! ! ! You only want the grains cracked so your mash water can get to the endosperm and dissolve the starches. Just pull the trigger and buy yourself a mill. Thats when the fun really starts!!! You can experiment with different crush sizes and see what it does. My wonderful little woman got me a grain mill for Christmas, so now I can bulk order grains and store them for when I need them. I mill my grains fresh as my strike water is heating and according to my friends (who don't brew) I'm ruining them from buying "store bought" beer !

I'm not saying that milling my own grains is responsible for all the quality, but I really believe that it is responsible for aiding in the quality of my finished beers.

Old 06-19-2016, 02:42 PM   #7
kh54s10
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aug 2011
Tiverton, Rhode Island
Liked 1503 Times on 1241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whip View Post
NOOOOOOO ! ! ! ! You only want the grains cracked so your mash water can get to the endosperm and dissolve the starches. Just pull the trigger and buy yourself a mill. Thats when the fun really starts!!! You can experiment with different crush sizes and see what it does. My wonderful little woman got me a grain mill for Christmas, so now I can bulk order grains and store them for when I need them. I mill my grains fresh as my strike water is heating and according to my friends (who don't brew) I'm ruining them from buying "store bought" beer !

I'm not saying that milling my own grains is responsible for all the quality, but I really believe that it is responsible for aiding in the quality of my finished beers.
Do you realize you just answered a question asked in 2006????