Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Fermentation process
Old 01-25-2009, 04:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Fermentation process

Have brewed 5 batches (all ale kits) and used the following process...

1 week primary (bucket)
1 week secondary (glass carboy)
2 weeks in bottle before chilling.

Starting to make my own recipes so want to make sure Im giving it ample time before drinking. I always make sure there is no more activity in the air lock after week 1 and Final gravity numbers have been pretty much right on. So far the beer has tasted as good as I could expect.

Just want to get some thoughts on what everyone else is doing.

Section 143 Brew Co.
Est. 2008 - Pittsburgh, PA

In primary: None
In secondary: Amber
Bottled (Conditioning): Pale Ale
Bottled (Ready to Drink): Oktoberfest, Porter
Next up: Section 143 Originals - "Off-Season Ale" and "Draft Day Lager"
Old 01-25-2009, 04:06 PM   #2
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I do 1 month primary, secondary if I am dry hopping (7 - 14 days) then bottle.

My basement is pretty cool this time of year, so it takes 4 - 6 weeks to carb up.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:28 PM   #3
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Liked 2912 Times on 1715 Posts
Likes Given: 3534

If you search for "long primary" or "No secondary" or "yeast clean up after itself" you will find a ton of info on what a lot of us are doing, and why...It's a question that we get asked 2-3 times a day so there's plenty of info on it to give you an idea.

Which is pretty much what S2n8 says....long primary, no secondary, unless hopping or adding fruit.
Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew