What do your wives think of your hobby? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > What do your wives think of your hobby?

Old 01-23-2009, 07:56 AM   #1
GroosBrewz

Recipes 

Sep 2008
West Richland, WA, WA
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Hey guys-

Reading some post tonight about SWMBO (which I think is the STUPIDEST damn acronym ever, but that's for another rant).. Anyway, it got me to thinking about how cool my wife is with my hobby. She has been supportive since day one and has never given me any grief whatsoever about my homebrewing. Of course I always clean up my mess on brew day.... she loves all the smells of brewing, especially the boil, and she recently surprised me by sewing me three custom slip on insulated carboy covers, which are so much better than blankets... She always helps me bottle... And last night, she asked me if I would brew a stout for her (since all I make are ales).... she is sooo cool that way... But I hear so much about guys wifes bitching at them about their hobby.. So tell me, am I just lucky to have a cool brewing wife? Are things really that bad out there on the homefront? What does your wife think?
Tap 4- Dicks Danger Ale Clone

"Today I felt like burning some calories....So I found a fat kid and set him on fire"

Old 01-23-2009, 09:57 AM   #2
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Dec 2005
Portland, OR, Oregon
Liked 50 Times on 35 Posts

My ex tolerated my brewing at best. She hated the smell and the mess I made in the kitchen (even though I was normally the one using the kitchen for all the meals and I cleaned up well). Doing the boil outside helped. I think she didn't like it because it was taking attention away from her, but that's just my opinion. My current SWMBO loves brewing and especially loves the end product, so she's highly supportive of my hobby.

BTW, it's not mandatory to use the acronym SWMBO. You don't like it, don't use it. Some of us think it's a tongue-in-cheek affectation.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:16 AM   #3
Evan

Recipes 

Jan 2007

she is happy i have a hobby. usually she will go shopping, or catch up on some books she is reading. Plus it helps she likes the final product too, haha.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:28 PM   #4
JoeMama

Recipes 

Nov 2008
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Mine would fall into the tolerant category as well. She HATES the smell of any sort of wort cooking or grains steeping (it makes her nauseous for some odd reason) I even took it outside, and she refuses to go near the door of where I am cooking it. She doesnt drink beer (at all) so I guess she is just tolerating my hobby.
I guess as long as I am utilizing the sweet sticky buds of the hop plant and not his cousin she is cool.
-Me

Eggo Bibo Sum - I drink, therefore I waffle.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:01 PM   #5
TeufelBrew

Recipes 

Mar 2008
Denver, Colorado
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

My SWMBO gave me a Coopers kit last year for Xmas/Birthday. She liked the porters I made and was into learning the styles for the first 3-4 months. She had expected I would stop after the first few.

But I stuck with it, went AG, make a kegerator and started kegging. Now I have an ETOH problem and the damned beer is taking over the house (her words)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinksWellWithOthers View Post
You're all wrong. Apfelwein is a time machine and mind eraser combined into one.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:07 PM   #6
Nerro
Recipes 

Jan 2008
The Netherlands
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

wiVes.

(1234567890)

Old 01-23-2009, 01:08 PM   #7
BuffaloSabresBrewer

Recipes 

Sep 2007
Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerro View Post
wiVes.

(1234567890)
Two love it, one couldnt care less and one hates it.

Single male seeks double-jointed supermodel who owns a brewery and grows her own pot. Access to free concert tickets a plus!

Old 01-23-2009, 01:15 PM   #8
s3n8
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Haymarket VA
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerro View Post
wiVes.
Odd... I didn't meet any Mormons when I was in the Netherlands. Do they all approve? Or all disapprove?

Old 01-23-2009, 01:17 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7727 Times on 5425 Posts

I don't have a wife, but married is married, I guess. I don't have any problems with brewing, as long as I don't spend "too much money". Luckily, we've never really discussed what entails "too much". I mentioned a Sabco Three Tier system last week, but that got a head shake. As long I was make good beer, though, I'm happy.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:17 PM   #10
Recipes 

Dec 2008
Atlanta
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

My girlfriend of 4.5 years got me an equipment setup for Valentines day. Totally responsible for me getting into it.